Old Boy Lighter Problem.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
My Old Boy Lighter won't light about half the time. I keep any soot build up on the burner cleaned and it sparks just fine. I keep a medium flame height and there's plenty of fuel. I can take one of my other lighters and hold it next to the Old Boh and it lights immediately. Anyone else experienced this problem and if so what did you do to fix it? :)

AJ

Sounds like you need to clean the flint wheel with a wire brush to produce a good spark. MIKE

I used Hoppe's No9 and a toothbrush to scrub all the topside good and clean. And then a quick rinse of lighter fluid.

Thanks Mike I'll give that a try.

Carlos as ever your years of experience is always valued however I always try to keep this lighter looking like new.

After my original post I noticed the screw where you put in the flint was about halfway out. I unscrewed it and added an additional flint and screwed it in tight. This seemed to resolve the problem but I'm still going to clean the flint wheel with a wire brush.

Many thanks to both of you for your useful hints. :)

AJ

Glad it works now AJ. I was going to also suggest cleaning the wheel and change the flint. I've had flint issues in the past where the spark looked okay but in fact it was not hot enough to ignite the fuel. Have a great night.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Just had the same problem after putting in a new flint.. replace zippo flint with corona flint and stretched the spring a little all is good now.