Old Boy Lighter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, there seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for the Corona Old Boy lighter. I see one was just sold here on the trading post in a jiffy. 

I've read and heard that they seem to be the holy grail where lighters are concerned. Yet I've always relied on penny matches, a cheap IMCO butane, and my older Zippo. They all get the job done fine.

So what really is the advantage of the Old Boy? Reliable lights I already have at a much lower price point.

Help me out here - am I missing something? I think brother Stick recently posted about his positive experience with an inexpensive butane lighter from China (not that I'm trying to promote China goods).

:?:

Cheers,

RR

Rande, I will give you my personal experience with the Old Boy.

I had one of the Colibri Connaught II lighters that worked great for about 3 1/2 years. Then it started needing to be struck multiple times to light, and finally died altogether, so I started thinking about buying a different brand next go around. I always liked the Colibri, because it had the side flame that makes it so easy to direct the flame into the bowl, and it also had an large external wheel adjustment that was really convenient when the butane started getting low and I needed to crank the flame up a little.

Anyhow, I was looking at the Tsubota Pearl Eddie lighters, as well as the Corona Old Boy. I ended up setting my sights on the Old Boy, because I figured they were both quality lighters, but I like the way the pewter Old Boys patina down the road.

Well, when it came in, I was impressed with the packaging and all, but after using it on the first bowl, I began to think I got sent a left handed lighter by mistake. Reason I say that, is because I always need to strike it, and then spin it around in my right hand, for the flame to be in the proper position. I looked at a lot of pics of the lighter, and began to think there weren't two different versions, just the one I got. I have adapted to spinning it around after I strike it, but at first it was a little awkward. Also, it has no large external adjustment thumbwheel, so it isn't as versatile as the Corona I was using. It isn't as efficient at directing the flame down into the bowl either, but that in itself can protect the bottom of your bowl late in the smoke. One thing I do like about the Old Boy, is that it is quiet when struck, because it strikes a flint. Most of the electronic ignition lighters are noisy, especially so when they need to be struck multiple times in a row.

Rather than the inconvenience of turning the flame up and down on the Old Boy with it's included pick/tamper, I ended up buying a $19.95 side angle flame lighter to use with my deeper bowled pipes.

I can see the quality in the Old Boy, and I'm sure it will probably last decades before needing to be repaired. It's small, heavy, and you can feel the quality when you hold it in your hand. I can also look at the $19.95 El Cheapo I bought, and won't be surprised when it fails to strike. I suppose I am going to end up buying one of the Tsubota's, to see if I like it better than the Old Boy.

Brew, the Old Boy is the most reliable lighter I've ever found, plus it has the tamper tool built in. That's extra handy. The only thing I've had problems with is if I overfill it. Then it can become a torch if it's been in my pocket all day. I usually take a Bic with me when I'm out, and use the Old Boy at home. Worth every single cent IMHO.

Thanks for the intel E and Dutch. I can see you're very happy with your Old Boys.

At the same time I'm not convinced that spending upwards of a Benjamin or more is a good investment for a lighter. Not trying to be contentious or argue here. Just not convinced it would be significantly better than what I'm already using.

Anyone else?

Cheers,

RR

The Old Boy needs quality flints and the finest of butane.  Mine needs to be serviced.  Probably cheap butane.  

But then, even my Zippo's need a service from time to time.  New striker wheel or at least cleaned.  Then get pretty grungy and then don't spark well.

I have used the zippo for years and it works well outside. The zippo has recklessly charred the top edge of some pipes and while it excels in a breeze, the wind makes it char even more.

I am trying out the Old Boy lighter to see if I can be gentler on the pipes. Before buying the Old Boy from Spud, I have tried the Xikar Pipeline. The Xikar is in a decent enough price range to see if you like the style before making the Old Boy leap.

Vector_Pipeline_Chrome_Classic_Standard_Flame_Pipe_Lighter_copy.jpg

I love my old boy!

Pros:
-generous fuel capacity (I'm a two to three bowl a day guy and it lasts about two weeks without refill)
-extremely reliable
-built like a tank (I frequently had my old boy drop out of my shirt pocket and onto concrete floors. Any other lighter would have been toast with too many of those)
-lifetime warranty (I've sent mine back twice, one for regular service the other cause I was stupid and damaged it)
-build in tamper (I hate carrying a tamper and a lighter. More to keep up with. It's nice that I can just grab and go)

Cons:
-Aint worth a spit in the wind. (Seriously a gentle breeze blows out the flame)
-relatively expensive

Ocelot,

I fully agree about Corona lighters but the warranty part. The warranty is actually for two years.  Most of the dealers said it was a "lifetime" but when you read on their warranty card it's 2 years.  

For a while you could mail the lighter for service/repair with $6 to $9 but
MUSIC CITY MARKETING, INC. has changed there service charge is now $35 per lighters.

For Corona lighter repair, please send the lighter, along with $35.00 per lighter.

MCM Inc.
477 McNally Dr
Nashville, TN 37211

Jim
PS _ I understand if you call MCM that you have under the warranty, the lighter will not service charges.

Ocelot55":yfbkmcxz said:
I love my old boy!

Pros:
-generous fuel capacity (I'm a two to three bowl a day guy and it lasts about two weeks without refill)
-extremely reliable
-built like a tank (I frequently had my old boy drop out of my shirt pocket and onto concrete floors. Any other lighter would have been toast with too many of those)
-lifetime warranty (I've sent mine back twice, one for regular service the other cause I was stupid and damaged it)
-build in tamper (I hate carrying a tamper and a lighter. More to keep up with. It's nice that I can just grab and go)

Cons:
-relatively expensive

$35!!!!

That's quite a rate hike! Thanks for the updated info.

I bought an "Old Boy" back in '98 and sadly it lasted only 2 1/2 years before it would not light or hold fuel . I sent it back three times to Carona and they "fixed the same problem each time then finally said they could not fix it and sent it back to me. For my 60th 'B Day, my daughter gave me a Dunhill Unique lighter which is what the "Old Boy" is a copy of and in the 9 years I've had it, NO PROBLEMS whatever !!  Yes it is solid Sterling Silver and yes it cost around $300.00 but IT WORKS so after 9 years of use, it's cost is working out to not being all that much ! The "Unique" was Dunhill's first production lighter and went into production in 1923 and todays is virtually the same as the original except it now uses gas instead of fluid to light with. JMHE :twisted: :twisted:

Brewdude":berounkf said:
Yet I've always relied on penny matches
I use matches almost exclusively. Nothing better IMHO. Matches have a cooler flame than any butane lighter can offer. I rarely overheat a bowl of tobacco relighting. Yeah they suck on a windy day, but smoking a pipe on a windy day pretty much sucks as well and that's when I move into the garage.. :lol: 8)

I was tempted to buy an Old Boy or at the very least a Kiribi to have around the house, but I prefer to sink my $$$ elsewhere. Not only that, knowing me I'd lose the damn thing.

Some useful posts there Rande. Are you any closer to making a choice?

My Chinese purchase was unusual for me as I usually subscribe to the 'buy cheap, pay twice ' principle. If I was to offer my thoughts to others it would be along the same lines which seems to fit with the quality proven brands and models discussed above.

Which way you leaning mate?

Ol'Dawg":7y7webq6 said:
Ocelot,

I fully agree about Corona lighters but the warranty part. The warranty is actually for two years.  Most of the dealers said it was a "lifetime" but when you read on their warranty card it's 2 years.  

For a while you could mail the lighter for service/repair with $6 to $9 but
MUSIC CITY MARKETING, INC. has changed there service charge is now $35 per lighters.

For Corona lighter repair, please send the lighter, along with $35.00 per lighter.

MCM Inc.
477 McNally Dr
Nashville, TN 37211

Jim
PS _ I understand if you call MCM that you have under the warranty, the lighter will not service charges.

Ocelot55":7y7webq6 said:
I love my old boy!

Pros:
-extremely reliable

Cons:
-relatively expensive
Must be fairly recent (within past year or so) because I sent mine with a $7 fee and got it back within 2 weeks.

I think it's mostly a prestige thing BD that comes with most fancy shamcy lighters and the like.
In my eyes it's just silly to spend that much on a lighter that won't even stay lit in a breeze so ya can't consider it a emergence item. I used a lot of different lighters in my 47 years of smoking and the one I find the least expensive and always there when I need it in any weather is my Bic throw away. Don't have to worry about loosing it, marring it, replacing flints or fluid and it won't leak in my pocket. Why anyone would want to spend a vulgar amount of money on a tool to light their pipe or cigarette is beyond me if not to have it to show off like a Rolex etc. That's just my opinion plain and simple. ;)

Cartaphilus":i5g5tzqm said:
I think it's mostly a prestige thing BD that comes with most fancy shamcy lighters and the like.
In my eyes it's just silly to spend that much on a lighter that won't even stay lit in a breeze so ya can't consider it a emergence item. I used a lot of different lighters in my 47 years of smoking and the one I find the least expensive and always there when I need it in any weather is my Bic throw away. Don't have to worry about loosing it, marring it, replacing flints or fluid and it won't leak in my pocket. Why anyone would want to spend a vulgar amount of money on a tool to light their pipe or cigarette is beyond me if not to have it to show off like a Rolex etc. That's just my opinion plain and simple. ;)
Reverse snobbery is just that, snobbery. JMHO :twisted: :twisted:

Cartaphilus":ntduwe43 said:
Yea, but if it was strictly functionality we'd all be smoking cobs now wouldn't we? ;)

Cartaphilus":fpjrme1h said:
That's why you buy used Old Boy's like me. I got one for $20 and another for $30. Those prices are negligible in my opinion when it comes to a reliable lighter. I use Bics every now and then, but I prefer not to because they scorch too much.

joshoowah":c3lipfcz said:
Cartaphilus":c3lipfcz said:
That's why you buy used Old Boy's like me. I got one for $20 and another for $30. Those prices are negligible in my opinion when it comes to a reliable lighter. I use Bics every now and then, but I prefer not to because they scorch too much.
I don't really have any problems using a bic. I have a 4 jet table lighter for cigars, but for a pipe a bic works fine and doesn't scorch. All in what you like I guess.

Stick":bkatiwk8 said:
Some useful posts there Rande. Are you any closer to making a choice?

My Chinese purchase was unusual for me as I usually subscribe to the 'buy cheap, pay twice ' principle. If I was to offer my thoughts to others it would be along the same lines which seems to fit with the quality proven brands and models discussed above.

Which way you leaning mate?

Not leaning towards an Old Boy, old boy!

Guess I'll stick with penny matches, my cheap IMCO butane, and the Zippo. Just the way I roll.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":43h6beyz said:
Guess I'll stick with penny matches, my cheap IMCO butane, and the Zippo. Just the way I roll.
I roll in the same direction, Rande. Matches, Bic, and a Zippo are a combination that works well for me in just about any situation. I love the styling of the Old Boys and the like, and if I were to find one for $20 or $30 like Josh did I'd probably jump on it. Until then though, I'll stick with what's been working for me.

I do need to get another case for my Zippo though. It turns out that mostly black wasn't the smartest color choice. That is one of the losiest things I have ever owned. It likes to play "ninja" and hide in the shadows.