Old Dark Fired rehydration project.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newpiper19

Reaction score
So. I thought I would put this here as this seems like the proper forum for it. As my post in the tobacco jar indicates, I am the owner of a tin of Old Dark Fired that came to me from the store so dry it fractured into grains of sand.

My rehydration project with my Three Nuns Orange appears to be a success, will look forward to smoking it once its place in the rotation comes up again.

So I tried taking the flakes and followed the spritz with distilled water technique then back into the tin.. That didn't work, didn't even effect the moisture level. So over the last 2 days I have done the other method mentioned in my searches, and that was to place a moist paper towel in the tin but not touching the tobacco.

This has seemed to have some measure of effect in improving the hydration level of the small flakes. Now instead of shattering when I fold them, it breaks in to large sticks and chunks. Watching many reviews of ODF and of other flakes, it should have considerably more bend and pliability allowing it to be folded and stuffed. Fracturing and breaking into large twig sized chunks were not shown in the many flake loading videos I watched.

So I took the still dry flakes, rubbed them out and then spritzed them again, then transferred to a Ziploc baggie, and into a mason jar.

So the real important question is to the many people here that Smoke ODF, what is the typical hydration level you find when you get your tins? Also wondering how old this Tin is, as I have read that un opened sealed tins have good shelf life with some posts in the cellaring forum talking about cellaring in the tin.

So I wanted to give an update on the rehydration project of both my Three nuns and my ODF.

I am sad to report that it was a total failure. Literally no flavor what so ever in either of them. What makes me angry is the money I spent but foolishly didn't keep the receipt for.

If it were not the gracious gift of quality tobacco from Black horse, I would not have any pipe tobacco to smoke this week at all.

So this is a very expensive lesson for me. Rehydration is not worth the effort. I should have just returned them and asked for new ones.

That is a tough one. I have never opened a new tin and gotten a compromised one that is totally dry. I have had good luck with rehydrating things that were in ziplocks too long.

Fr_Tom":blgy8tb7 said:
That is a tough one. I have never opened a new tin and gotten a compromised one that is totally dry. I have had good luck with rehydrating things that were in ziplocks too long.
I was shocked to say the least. The ODF fractured and shattered like glass into small pebbles slightly bigger then grains of sand. The Nuns as not that dry, but the tobacco had the consistency of hay and the loose spun coins fell apart. When loading the pipe with the now broken mess of Nuns, it had no flavor. Which is why I was confused at the Tobaccoreviews giving all these flavor qualities that for me just amounted to hot tasteless air.

Fr_Tom what method of rehydration did you use? I am wondering if the spritz method is too much and that I should go with a slower method. Is there a way to test the RH content of tobacco?

It's not just water drying out of the tobaccos, but plant oils and casings as well. If those are gone, then the leaf will smoke like paper. Adding water only make the paper wet. Sorry for your lost, I've not had a tin of ODF be crispy upon opening, generally it's moisture content is in competition with Sam Gawith tins.

Ozark Wizard":0nwllj7f said:
It's not just water drying out of the tobaccos, but plant oils and casings as well. If those are gone, then the leaf will smoke like paper. Adding water only make the paper wet. Sorry for your lost, I've not had a tin of ODF be crispy upon opening, generally it's moisture content is in competition with Sam Gawith tins.
So prolonged time in a very dry state will cause the oils and casings to be lost? Now I am getting the impression that these tins were dry for a very long time. Despite the owner telling me that he will replace any future purchases if the same situation arises, it makes me doubt the entirety of his collection.

Newpiper19":t2by9om6 said:
Ozark Wizard":t2by9om6 said:
So prolonged time in a very dry state will cause the oils and casings to be lost? Now I am getting the impression that these tins were dry for a very long time.  Despite the owner telling me that he will replace any future purchases if the same situation arises, it makes me doubt the entirety of his collection.
Fortunately the dates on Mac Barren tins are easy to read. Month abbreviation and year. They are on the bottom of the tins, I believe on the left side. (Example---- Nov 2015) Another way to gauge the condition of the contents is a shake. If it sounds like a rock in paper it's probably dry, if it sounds like a soft thud with very little movement it should be fine.

http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=49

There is some leeway, obviously, when it comes to hydration levels. Daughters & Ryan packs their tobacco a little dry and requires the buyer to add a little moisture before smoking (at least that has been my experience with every single D&R tobacco I've tried). On the plus side, you get more tobacco that way. But I believe in a podcast with him, he gave similar numbers to Mr.Pease.

Not only flavor wise, but I think you know the sweet spot by how it burns. If you're in a battle with the tobacco, you need to dry it a bit. If your 45-minute bowl smokes through in twenty-five minutes, you know you have it too dry. Etc.

Zeno Marx":nxgmmrto said:

There is some leeway, obviously, when it comes to hydration levels.  Daughters & Ryan packs their tobacco a little dry and requires the buyer to add a little moisture before smoking (at least that has been my experience with every single D&R tobacco I've tried).  On the plus side, you get more tobacco that way.  But I believe in a podcast with him, he gave similar numbers to Mr.Pease.

Not only flavor wise, but I think you know the sweet spot by how it burns.  If you're in a battle with the tobacco, you need to dry it a bit.  If your 45-minute bowl smokes through in twenty-five minutes, you know you have it too dry.  Etc.
Thanks for the link, that was a good read. That is something i will have to learn as i go. One question I found that i didn't post in my review of Dark Flake Licorice, was is there a good container one can have with us as we are smoking it through it through the day? It makes no sense for me to bring glass jars with me. So is there a container, about pocket sized that would make a good holder for a days worth of pipe tobacco with out drying it out?

I kept mine in the baggie as i smoked it during the day, and back into the jar at night. I found that by the last few bowls the smoking time was getting quicker. Despite that the flavor was still very good.

Newpiper19":tl8azgoe said:
Zeno Marx":tl8azgoe said:

There is some leeway, obviously, when it comes to hydration levels.  Daughters & Ryan packs their tobacco a little dry and requires the buyer to add a little moisture before smoking (at least that has been my experience with every single D&R tobacco I've tried).  On the plus side, you get more tobacco that way.  But I believe in a podcast with him, he gave similar numbers to Mr.Pease.

Not only flavor wise, but I think you know the sweet spot by how it burns.  If you're in a battle with the tobacco, you need to dry it a bit.  If your 45-minute bowl smokes through in twenty-five minutes, you know you have it too dry.  Etc.
Thanks for the link, that was a good read. That is something i will have to learn as i go. One question I found that i didn't post in my review of Dark Flake Licorice, was is there a good container one can have with us as we are smoking it through it through the day? It makes no sense for me to bring glass jars with me. So is there a container, about pocket sized that would make a good holder for a days worth of pipe tobacco with out drying it out?

I kept mine in the baggie as i smoked it during the day, and back into the jar at night. I found that by the last few bowls the smoking time was getting quicker. Despite that the flavor was still very good.
Pipe smoking is one of those great hobbies that defies the immediacy and short attention span of the computer age. It straight-up thumbs its nose at it all. Sure, you can look up all kinds of information, history, opinion, and other types of mental wankery that might fall between the cracks; but nothing, and nobody, is going to establish how you, your body, and your mind prefer to smoke. It's very much a solo journey with a long, slow learning curve. And to want it any other way is to ruin one of its greatest virtues and gifts.

Zeno Marx":tyhupjbu said:
Newpiper19":tyhupjbu said:
Zeno Marx":tyhupjbu said:

Thanks for the link, that was a good read.  That is something i will have to learn as i go.   One question I found that i didn't post in my review of Dark Flake Licorice, was is there a good container one can have with us as we are smoking it through it through the day?  It makes no sense for me to bring glass jars with me.  So is there a container, about pocket sized that would make a good holder for a days worth of  pipe tobacco with out drying it out?

I kept mine in the baggie as i smoked it during the day, and back into the jar at night.  I found that by the last few bowls the smoking time was getting quicker. Despite that the flavor was still very good.
Pipe smoking is one of those great hobbies that defies the immediacy and short attention span of the computer age.  It straight-up thumbs its nose at it all.  Sure, you can look up all kinds of information, history, opinion, and other types of mental wankery that might fall between the cracks; but nothing, and nobody, is going to establish how you, your body, and your mind prefer to smoke.  It's very much a solo journey with a long, slow learning curve.  And to want it any other way is to ruin one of its greatest virtues and gifts.
I agree, it is as much about the ritual of loading the pipe as it is about the smoking. For me, I love the fact that I can just unwind on my porch with the family, or in my chair listening to my favorite twitch streamer.

On that note, what would make a good portable container for about a days worth of tobacco, with regards to it not drying out too much during the day?

No idea. When I first started, I bought a gorgeous Comoy piccard (I think that's what it was called) pouch. To this day, still the softest leather I've ever had in my hands. I used it for a month or two. Too much hassle, and I honestly didn't like packing out of it either. From there, I always carried the tins with me in a small pipe bag. I think if I was needing a mobile device now, I'd use a small jar. Or double ziplock if I needed it in a pocket.

Newpiper, in regards to something portable that will keep a day's worth of tobacco moist. I have in the past used old dip cans that friends were finished with. Not advisable if the flavor contamination bugs you. However in most convenience stores they sell powdered jerky in the same sort of container usually all plastic. It will hold about 2 bowls worth. I have also used the empty bags from chewing tobacco. It's usually an aluminized paper that works well at retaining moisture. Again flavor contamination can happen. A similar container though can also be picked up cheap.. big league chew shredded bubblegum comes in a pack like that and isn't an objectional flavor for most folks. There are actual items made for this but they tend to be expensive and don't really work any better than the cheap items I listed. Hope it helps you out

Jim