Old Gillette My Dad Found For Me

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
Ok,

After inquiring about old razors this morning,I asked my dad and he found me a couple of his old ones.One is a brass coloured Gillette but the finish is terrible and oxidized... The other may be a winner though.It's a silver Gillette and has stampings that read:

REG US PAT OFF.
B 3

Gillette MADE IN U.S.A.

Does anyone have any idea how old this razor is or where you can buy blades for it?

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

www.classicshaving.com

I'd advise starting with Derbys or Isreali Personna
Feathers are sweet but they will cut you, even in a safety razor...lol....UBER Sharp.

You can score some decent 250 or 500 packs of blades on ebay from time to time.. One of the guys over at shavemyface.com forums sells blade samplers.

Seems like B3 was a 50's era code but I havent worried about dates in so long I may be wrong. Is it adjustable? or have any other color besides silver?

puros_bran":15q0774d said:
Seems like B3 was a 50's era code but I havent worried about dates in so long I may be wrong. Is it adjustable? or have any other color besides silver?
PB,

I don't THINK it's adjustable and NO it's just plain old silver...

Best,
Dock

Thats cool.... Just making sure you werent sittin on a gold mine. Some of the more rare 'vintage' adjustables are high dollar.

showme1or2":x55iqtc2 said:
Way to go, Dock. Props to your pop, too.

You would know if it was adjustable because it would have a dial near the blade end with numbers on it; usually 1-9, I think.

See if this site can help you with the exact dating:
http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/gil_ser2.htm

showme
Thanks Shome... According to the chart it was made in "56" :affraid: :affraid: :affraid:

Best,
Dock

Doc,

B3 would indicate the Razor was made in the 3rd quarter of 1956. It would be a non adjustable Super Speed. There were 3 Super speeds offered that year.
Blue handle/ mild exposer
Silver handle/ medium exposer
Red handle/ heavy exposer

They are all great razors.

56SuperSpeedHv.jpg

56SuperSpeedLt2.jpg

56SuperSpeedMd.jpg

Midnight Blues":oesvoq62 said:
Doc,

B3 would indicate the Razor was made in the 3rd quarter of 1956. It would be a non adjustable Super Speed. There were 3 Super speeds offered that year.

They are all great razors.

56SuperSpeedHv.jpg

56SuperSpeedLt2.jpg

56SuperSpeedMd.jpg
Thanks Again Blues...On Puros advice I purchased a 100 pack of Derby blades from e-bay this evening.I think they were like $13.00+ shipping. Stupid question but,how long do these generally last? SHould I practice using them on my back before moving to my face? :lol: Seriously,is it much easier to cut yourself with one:?:

Best,
Dock

Dock

Dock,

You can cut yourself but if you're careful and pay attention you'll be fine. The blades last 2 or 3 shaves and sometimes longer. I use a new blade each time but thats just me. The other thing to remember is you want to use multiple passes thats why an adjustable is a very cool thing...

It depends on how tough your beard is. I get between 7-9 shaves before I change a blade. I would guesstimate I have an average courseness of beard, but bear in mind I don't make it a habit of rubbin other guys whiskers. :)

Mantic has some great videos on Youtube that will aid you in shaving with a DE. I advise you to watch em before you take that first swipe. Getting cut: it happens sometimes. Just remember NO Pressure, let the weight of the razor glide it around your face, your hand is there for nothing more than to guide the blade. Don't expect Babybutt smooth the first few times you try it. I also suggest starting on a day off, that way you can relax and take as much time as you want. On workdays it takes about 5-8 minutes for a lather, a 3 pass shave, and some after shave. On days off, the wife bitches I take to much time in the john, I've been known to take 45 minutes just enjoying my shave. Its not a race, you will get faster as you become more experianced. Watch those Mantic videos, you'll be ok.

Midnight Blues":1sk1akzt said:
I didn't know that, MB; thanks for pointing it out. I actually have a D4, I think, with a red handle. I never considered the significance of the color.

Does exposer mean how much skin it takes off and how much meat is exposed? :pale:

MG, do you have any of the long-handled Gillette's? Eggman sent me one, but I've lost track of it.

showme

I bought a box of 100 Wilkinson Sword blades on ebay for mine. About the same pricing I suspect.

I found that a nice, hot towel or washcloth softens my beard and I get a much smoother shave. So hot you can barely wring it out and wrap in on your face for a few minutes.

Not near as enjoyable in cold water. But I rinse in cold water to close the pores.

showme1or2":cjwqgevv said:
Midnight Blues":cjwqgevv said:
I didn't know that, MB; thanks for pointing it out. I actually have a D4, I think, with a red handle. I never considered the significance of the color.

Does exposer mean how much skin it takes off and how much meat is exposed? :pale:

MG, do you have any of the long-handled Gillette's? Eggman sent me one, but I've lost track of it.

showme
SM,
You can equate exposer to beard type.

I do not have any of the long handle Gillette's. They came out in the early to mid 60s. My collection ends with a 61' Fatboy.

"Seriously,is it much easier to cut yourself with one:?:

Best,
Dock"

Dock, as long as you don't try to level out any warts or moles with the blade, or allow it to move or slide sideways on your face it is generally not a problem cutting yourself.

The hot towel suggestion and a good lathering generally will set the whiskers up for the blade, just draw the razor straight down your cheek (and generally up to the jaw on the throat).
Compared to a straight razon it is a piece of cake, compared to todays multi-blade, lubricating strip, etc. razors a "leetle more care" is needed. Just don't use it like a hoe.

Happy shaving,
Al (in Canada)

Question: is it really considered different to wet shave? I have done so with a brief flirtation with an electric razor until it irritated my skin, for the past 40+ years. (Yes I have used double edge and single edge safety razors, played around with straight edge for the experience, but normally now days use either an Actra or Trac II razor. Guess I'll have to look around for the straight edges and the old double edges (should be an adjustable and and a screw on soemwhere).