old member talked about smoking meers outside huntingcamping

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmansmokingpipe

Reaction score
i looked and cannot find the thread.

I was curious as to smoking meers outside in the winter in a shed - I did do it to one of my really good signed meers by Baglan. Never had an issue. But hate to do it to my 2 last meers and esp the large rare one i have. may have to pick up a danish estate. Had 2 collections of danish and Am. handmades over 53 years but downsized. so i am curious - as to if someone knew of the thread or has any knowledgeable thoughts.... I have read both - no and do it. I have always been taught to not do it - but i am between a rock and a hard place. I do stick to handling the meers by the stem only or wrapped in a cloth when cleaning.

I'm not sure that thread is worth finding; the upshot, as I remember, was that smoking a meerschaum in cold air either is, or isn't, risky.  8)

I have two non-figural CAO meers and have smoked them infrequently and carefully outdoors in Connecticut winters with no harm done.  I don't especially care for figurals (just a point of personal taste) but I'd be really cautious with a figural in the cold, since unequal heating and cooling caused by variations in bowl thickness could be problematic. Ya never can tell, and there's but one way of finding out. As Clint asked, Are you feeling lucky?  OTOH, cobs are great in the winter.

I wouldn't chance it with any of my meerschaum pipes save maybe a deep walled Calabash.
banjo

i have had serious issues trying to post a link to a meer video....

asked admin to help but figured I'd give it one more chance - 3rd attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFrzVXXQtAI

try putting it all together.  remove all of the spaces and the link works.  that is the only way around a new member posting a link - this is NOT SPAM!

looks like it may work - this really gave me a new approach to my art idea of a meer vs. just using it and enjoying it.

i do not agree about the water on the cleaning dynamic but he smokes it at about 15-20 degrees F.  and no issues and i have done so too many time and no issues so what the hell - maybe not with my rare higher end one but....

Honestly I don't think there is a good answer to the question you pose. I've smoked all of my meers outside during extreme cold snaps, even had snow blowing all over the bowl while I was smoking with no issues. I also had a nice skull figural explode while I was smoking it on a hot summers day. So best I can say is if something is going to happen it's going to happen regardless of what precautions you take.

Jim