Old Mora knife find

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jevverrett

Reaction score
I found this in a box of old tools the other day on my trash route. Got it cleaned up a bit, and worked a few knicks out of the blade. It appeared to be pretty well loved, but the old guy who was my customer died. So his kids are chucking out his “junk” tools and such. It’s an old K.J Ericsson Mora #1B. Great little knife in all honesty. As good as they are today, they may have been better made then. The knob on the end looks like one of the older, Stone era knives. Also the plain birch handle. The sheath looks similar to an older, Stone era mora knife from the 40s or 50s. Particularly the manner in which the leather belt loop is attached to the plastic sheath. But the pattern on the sheath I can’t find a picture of any where. Closest I can find for accurate info is it’s from probably the early 60s. That’s around the time Ericsson bought out Stone, so they probably continued to make them fairly similar for awhile. The later 60s models had no knob, and the red birch handles well known today. I may be wrong about this though, so any other input would be appreciated.

That's a beautiful old knife. My brother bought me a Mora for my birthday a few years back and I love the thing. Definitely made to last.

I wonder if that sheath was original to the knife. It probably is...but the little metal Knob on the bottom of the butt cap is meant to engage into a mated hole on a sheath to secure the knife to the sheath. But it looks like it has that classic deep pouch friction fit. I’m guessing it was sold as a set and the unnecessary little Knob it there just to be an homage to a classic design.

Nice wood too.

Great find! I would definitely say late 50's to very early 60's. The sheath as pointed out is in question. Not standard for that style at all. Granted anything is possible with the factory changing hands around that time though. Great knives but the older ones are a different class of awesome.

Jim

It takes a great edge too. So great, I cut myself pretty good wiping the blade off during sharpening. While cleaning it up, I noticed the tang (rat tail style) goes out through that knob and was peened there.

I always figured these knives were cheap but effective. Now that I have one, they are pretty well made. Simple, but sturdy is my best description. I may have to take another look at them next time I’m at cabelas. I almost got one for my eldest sons’ first “real” knife. He’s about to be nine, and only ever had a cheap little folder.

Your Nordic style Mora is traditionally made.  Probably Udderholm Silver Steel which sharpens very keen.  If you just strop it with a fine compound it will stay sharp.

They often used leather discs or birch bark that had a small center hole...stacked ‘em onto the rat tail with glue between the discs...compressed the stack...then put on a metal butt cap and peened the rat tail onto the cap.  Very secure.  Then after all that they shaped the discs and applied sealing compound.  The birch bark handled ones are light as a feather. I’ve made knives this way...still have one I did with a Dessert Ironwood handle carved into a horse head (VERY traditional) and a classic Lammi hand forged blade. It’s my precious.