Old Pouches

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy some very old (like, probably over 30 years, maybe more like 50) tobacco pouches. I'm sure the tobacco is completely dried out inside. Is it likely to be rehydrate-able, or is it gonna be just dusty crap?

Keeping in mind that tobacco is an organic product I'd say that any tobacco no preserved in
airtight container , which these pouches are not, will be a total waste of money for flat or dusty
tobacco. I'd suggest that you pass on this one. :pipe:

And just what might these tobaccos be?? :?: That and the asking price may figure greatly into the equation!! :pipe: FTRPLT

It really depends on what kind of seal the pouches have as to wether the tobacco can be salvaged through re-hydration.

I ran across several very old tins of Velvet and Half & Half last weekend that still have the tobacco in them but the seal was not all that good. They were the old metal tins with the tobacco folded up in paper, so I know they were old. I didn't purchase them because of the sketchy seal on them and those tins by themsleves don't bring that much.

I have a 10 oz. container of American Dunhill tobacco from WWII when Dunhill had contracted their tobacco operation to a company in Richmond, VA. It has a 1923 tax stamp on it but John Loring helped me date to WWII. Dunhill's factories were out of comission durning that time due to bombing. John Loring encouraged me to open it and smoke it after re-hydrating the tobacco. He said with that type of seal it would be fine. I haven't done it yet and don't know it I ever will.

You never know.

The tobacco in question is some "Old Chum", 1 pouch of sail, and some boxed stuff that I assume is cigarette tobacco.... it just has a brand and says "Virginia".

10 bucks a pouch. I might try one just for a giggle.

Sasquatch":qw1feldl said:
10 bucks a pouch. I might try one just for a giggle.
Ten bucks!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Kinda high for old "clearance" tobacco isn't it?

If its sail from 50 years ago it is dried out to dust

The aluminum pouches keep it longer than most but they even dry out after a couple years