Old School Shaving

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonecoyote

Reaction score
Who still shaves the old fashion way? Just a few of my many old restored razors I've picked up in the past.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
ry7RTwY.jpg" style="width: 600px;height: 400px

Nice display. I do. Two questions: what's the big boy on the far left? And is that a Merkur two over? And question three (I know): you mentioned "restore." Is there a place to get Merkur shave head plates reattached properly to the screw after they pull out? I have three that have separated, making them useless.

Thanks!!! The far left is a Gillette Fat Boy I restored a few years ago. The far right with the black handle is my only fairly new model from Edwin Jagger. Good eyes.... The razor just to the left of Mr Jagger is an older restored Merkur made in Germany. I have 42 different single and double edge razors in my collection. I own 4 MerKur razors and all are tight with no play in the head. Post a picture of yours showing the problem.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Here is an old never used Feather razor made in Japan with original Feather blades. I've been offered big bucks for this razor but not going to sell it now. Who knows what the future brings :?: :?:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
klPwtRu.jpg" style="width: 600px;height: 400px

Having worn a beard for over forty years shaving isn't very high on my list if things go do. However once a week I shave my neck and just under my nose. My Dad past away almost nine years ago and I use his old Gillette Adjustable Razor he bought when they first came out in the late 50's or early 60's. It does what it's designed to do and I haven't any complaints. :)

AJ

I do! Love the tactile feel to it. Newer razors are like driving an automatic, you don't have to really know the feel of your face, the grain that your hair grows. Just lather and go. With the DE blades and razors it is more like a manual transmission, you have to pay attention. I find it more rewarding and a better shave.

Yup, me too.

Usual shave is a with a Muhle R89, Astra SPs (green), a semogue boar hair brush and a L'Occitane Cade puck. It's transformed my shaving experience and has saved me a wad of cash too; shaving puck lasts me 8 or so months and 100 blades costs approx. £10 delivered and they'll last me approx. 18 months. I also have a warm smug feeling knowing that I'm not I'm not selling my soul to Gillette anymore.

I shave with a Merkur as well with persona blades. I love how close of shave I get from these style of razors over newer more modern types.

HP 1861, I use Personna blades made in Israel. They give me a very comfortable close shave. The Personna made here in the USA are not even close in quality. I purchase mine either on eBay or Amazon for under $18.00 delivered. Another superb blade is Feather, made in Japan and SUPER SHARP!! Not for the novice shaver for sure.
It's all about the sport of shaving :cheers:  :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Alex, the one on the left is Badger and the right one is Boar, which is from the 30's.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

If you scroll down this forum, we have a few threads on wet shaving, brushes, blades, etc. I've come to enjoy it a lot more than I ever thought I would. I had terrible experiences when I was a teenager and trying to use my father's Bic disposables and Edge can foam. Went to electric for most of my life. A razor isn't a razor.

I never could stand the Bic or Gillette razor blades. Electric razors, I had one and it burned my neck; so my wife gifted me with a Merkur back in 2005. I use Wilkinson razor blades (probably very cheap for you guys), and Proroso shaving soap for sensitive skin.

I see Lord Coyote uses Persona blades. I was not even aware of their existence so I will give them a try. Well, when I'm done the 15 packs of Wilkinson I had to stash up because those blades are harder and harder to find in drugstores.

Nothing at all wrong with the crossed swords or the Proraso.
The are both underpriced gems.

puros_bran":ex5re61v said:
Nothing at all wrong with the crossed swords or the Proraso.
The are both underpriced gems.
Well, Lord Puros, Wilkinson, besides the blades that came with my Merkur kit, are the only blades I know. I do admit that I never looked for anything else. And, as Proroso works well for my skin and is, yes, inexpensive and what comes to me as a very decent quality, I am not changing it. If it's not broken, don't fix it, as the saying goes.

For a newer razor, and a pricey one you can find used for maybe 75% of the new price, the Rockwell 6S (not the 6C) is a fine piece of equipment. But honestly, I could just as well be happy for the rest of my days with a vintage Gillette Red Tip or Gillette Slim Adjustable. I haven't gotten along with my Fatboy or Maggards heads. Astra SP green and Gillette Silver Blue blades are the ones that work best for me. The icing on that cake is the Astras are $10/100. I'm not one of these guys who has any desire to have a big soap den. Two, maybe three, soaps is more than enough for me (prefer citrus scents), and I refuse to pay more than $2.50/oz (including shipping).

I like the Proraso shaving cream due to the cooling effects when shaving. I find that it wakes me up and my face feels amazing. I should probably look for some more shaving soaps to expand my experience but Proraso works for me right now.

Great collection and display!  I never could connect with an electric razor; I have shaved with blades since high school.  Must admit, however, that I use the old twin-blade Altra-type blades (which are harder and harder to come by).  My razor is an old Ralph Lauren product from the 80's with nice heft; not as cool as the old fat boy type stuff, but hey...

Williams soap in my ancient Old Spice mug, and a brush from Crabtree-Evelyn that really needs a re-knot...

I've toyed with the idea of trying a nice safety razor but don't know if I'll get around to it or not.  Plus after years of using what I use, I might hurt myself :shock: !

ralph%20razor_zpstmtyofe8.jpg