Old School Shaving

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idlefellow":bv6qd1bc said:
I've toyed with the idea of trying a nice safety razor but don't know if I'll get around to it or not.  Plus after years of using what I use, I might hurt myself
I've been surprised by how few times I've had any problems. It required a little extra concentration at first, but really, it's been pain and injury free. The only problems I've had came when I was rushing and slid the razor laterally without picking up the razor off my face enough. I haven't cut myself in the stroke. It's always been when moving the razor to the next spot. You can cut yourself with any manual razor like that, but the double edge requires just a bit more caution. I think the whole double-edge razor fear has a lot to do with the staying power of marketing when the industry moved to disposable elements. It's a whole lot to do about nothing.

Zeno Marx":a38p3xcv said:
Idlefellow":a38p3xcv said:
I've toyed with the idea of trying a nice safety razor but don't know if I'll get around to it or not.  Plus after years of using what I use, I might hurt myself
I've been surprised by how few times I've had any problems.  It required a little extra concentration at first, but really, it's been pain and injury free.  The only problems I've had came when I was rushing and slid the razor laterally without picking up the razor off my face enough.  I haven't cut myself in the stroke.  It's always been when moving the razor to the next spot.  You can cut yourself with any manual razor like that, but the double edge requires just a bit more caution.  I think the whole double-edge razor fear has a lot to do with the staying power of marketing when the industry moved to disposable elements.  It's a whole lot to do about nothing.
Good to know; maybe I'll get brave one day :D !

Nice set up! I use a straight razor that I bought about 6 years ago. Picked it up as one of the "sight unseen" deals at Whipped Dog Straights along with his "poor man strop" and a cheap barber's hone. At 43 bucks for the whole setup its more than paid off. I think I remember Larry the proprietor there saying it was a Pakistani razor. At any rate its nice and as long as I strop it daily and give it a few runs over the hone once a week its great. I originally bought it figuring I would eventually upgrade to a nicer Dovo or Boker but can't really see the point.
Though come to think of it I do still love that Dovo Carpe Diem. A straight razor with the phrase Carpe Diem engraved on it...how cool is that?
Yeah...old school shaving is the way to go.
Haven't scored a badger hair brush yet...just using some cheap boar hair job. Soap...bought a 2kg block of Cella about 3 years ago that I store in my freezer and take chunks off of now and again. Probably be using that till I turn gray...that block is lasting forever.