Oldest in yer cellar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefisher

Reaction score
As someone who's just really began to cellar tobacco (when I started smoking a pipe i pretty much only smoke English / Balkan blends, and did so one tin at a time) I don't have anything particularly old in mine. I'm making up for lost time and am working hard at putting away more tobacco than I could possibly smoke in the rest of my lifetime. I'm certainly looking forward to smoking some current-production FVF when my five year old graduates high-school, but for the moment I'll make due with what I have.

I'm curious, though, what my fellow BOBers have tucked away. So let's see 'em folks. Consider this a good excuse to go digging way back in the cobwebbed corners of your cupboards - but don't forget a dust mask!

Nothing too impressive from me. I have an 8 year old tin of McC Super Balkan, and a small handful of others in the 7-8 year range.

well hey man that's not bad at all. Have you smoked any well-aged Latakia blends? I hear they sort of loose their edge, but I wouldn't know from experience.

Nothing too impressive for me either. My oldest tins are

1996 McC Cyprian Star 3
2000 Haddo's Delight
2001 EMP
2002 Cumberland
2002 Odyssey

Bluefisher":llesw7qm said:
well hey man that's not bad at all. Have you smoked any well-aged Latakia blends? I hear they sort of loose their edge, but I wouldn't know from experience.
Depends on what you mean by "well-aged." I've never had anything with Lat. older than 15 years, but it hadn't lost anything to that point. It's really the aromatics that go south with age.

DrumsAndBeer":b6b5noj7 said:
Nothing too impressive for me either. My oldest tins are

1996 McC Cyprian Star 3
2000 Haddo's Delight
2001 EMP
2002 Cumberland
2002 Odyssey
If you're that unimpressed with your 17 year old Cyprian Star, I'll trade you my 8 year Super Balkan for it. :twisted: 

idbowman":1om8ajc2 said:
If you're that unimpressed with your 17 year old Cyprian Star, I'll trade you my 8 year Super Balkan for it.  :twisted: 
Let me clarify, the CypS3 is incredible. I only have a touch left. However, in the scope of things and considering how long others have been pursuing this passion, having a 17 year old tin is not very impressive. :p 

Bluefisher - You'll hear a lot of "Latakia Fades" rhetoric being tossed around, along with "don't age it too long," etc. This is all a matter of perspective and personal taste.

If you prefer a rowdier, spicier, more bravado Latakia flavor, then you'll probably choose to stick with fresher tins. Personally I am over the shock value that Latakia can provide in heavier doses & I love and prefer what age does for a good well balanced Lat mix. Sure the Latakia does soften out, but in turn the other components step up and that's when things get real nice. That said I prefer the term "Maturing"  over "Fading." ;)

Uh, how about some 6 month old 1Q?

Just kidding. My cellar is very young, my oldest being some 6 year old FVF.

If you prefer a rowdier, spicier, more bravado Latakia flavor, then you'll probably choose to stick with fresher tins. Personally I am over the shock value that Latakia can provide in heavier doses & I love and prefer what age does for a good well balanced Lat mix. Sure the Latakia does soften out, but in turn the other components step up and that's when things get real nice. That said I prefer the term "Maturing"  over "Fading." ;)
very good to hear. I've got a bunch of Lat-heavy stuff in the cellar, and now I won't rush to smoke it first!

I was able to get my hands on a 100 gram tin of McC St James Woods from 1995. I'm going to wait till that one hits 20 years before I crack her open!

For me any tobacco that is 5 y/o or older is ready to smoke. I would caution holding on to the SJF so as to make it 20 y/o. After 5 years, or so it's been said, the majority of aging is over; after that one can only expect incremental aging; not to mention the fact that you may no longer be smoking 5 years from now.

I'd love to get Stephen Books view on this as he regularly blends with very old tobacco.

Nothing too old here-

I've a couple of Dunhill tins from around 2000/2001 that include Nightcap and 3 Yr Old Matured VA, some 2000 Christmas Cheer that I'm smoking through, and a few Rattray's tins from the same year.

Cheers,

RR

My oldest from the sample trove folks have sent is some McC's Christmas Cheer 2000. From things I have bought and am saving for "just the right time" is a half pouch of Half and Half that is probably 6 mo old. I am doubting age will do much for it, but you never know.

2001 tins-- 965, EMP, London, Medium, Elizabethan. I think I have at least one log of tins each.

2002 (c) jarred bulk -- 5100, plus a couple other McC Va and VaPers.

I've found tinned Lat blends hold their flavor, but jarred Lat blends sometimes will go flat IF the jar is opened, sampled and then set aside again. But not always, and I have no idea why the result may vary under similar conditions.