Ole Lang's pipe--or what a difference a year makes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the macdonald

Reaction score
A year ago today, I was unemployed, struggling to figure out what to do with myself. I had made a stupid (in hindsight) career move in 2011. I was an independant "headhunter" for financial service firms all over the country. I went to a recruiting firm that promised the world and delivered nothing. I was "laid off" in August 2011 "due to a business downturn." The CT Dept of Labor said that because my career was centered on finance and the economic downturn was also, I would be eligible for training funds to start a new career. After taking an 8th grade level math and reading test, I was told to hold fast and wait for the State of CT to approve funding for training for me. It would have been a major career change for me. In the first week of 2012 I got turned down for funding. I was a mess. I thought, because I was told, the funding for training was guaranteed.

After four months of wasting time I dusted my demoralized, embarrassed self off and started looking for a job, again. I almost took a tele-sales position because I didn't think there would anything better coming. I got a call from a financial firm I didn't even know existed. They were looking for a recruiter with exactly my background. I did the first interview, got the second interview and got a great offer to start in Feb 2012.

It has been wonderful from that point forward. It is my job to talk to people, get to know them to determine if they would be successful in financial sales, and then show them how and why they would be. I look for opportunities to deliver good news all day long. Success in this business means six figures within 3 years, and our top people make $1mil + a year. It is part of my job to wine and dine people at the nicest places I can find. Life is very good. I exceeded all the goals they set for me in 2012 and I am lined up to bonus every month in 2013, and will probably be running the department in 2-3 years.

But, out of the tree of life I picked a plum. In December of this year I got a call from a headhunter, who used to work for a firm where I recruited one of their best producers ($1.7 mil annually producer that was pure dumb luck on my part) from to one of my clients in 2009. He is looking for a national Director of Recruiting for a smaller insurance company looking to grow. "These guys are looking for someone with your drive, talent, and experience, oh and by the way, they will pay you twice what you are making now, with potential to bonus to 3x your current." Needless to say, as much as I love my current role, I have been talking to this firm through the holidays. I can't find a reason not to talk to them and everytime I do the role looks better. The role would be to do what is at the end of my 5 year plan if all the stars aligned. I would not be talking to them if the potential wasn't so huge.

2013 looks like it will be great, or just incredible. I have been sick this week, sore throat, cough, so smoking has been out of the question. Would someone please smoke a noxious lat bomb like Star of the East of Lancer Slices for me to celebrate what a remarkable year 2012 has been for me and how grateful I am to a kind architect of the universe?

Glad things turned around for you. If I might be so bold as to proffer some un asked for advice... remember its not the money that is important, its all the stuff the money can buy :) Hope you make the right decision, and that you are blessed with happy, and good work for the next few years brother.

rev

the rev":v6zmf1sj said:
Glad things turned around for you. If I might be so bold as to proffer some un asked for advice... remember its not the money that is important, its all the stuff the money can buy :) Hope you make the right decision, and that you are blessed with happy, and good work for the next few years brother.

rev
YES! The money has a much needed new car purchase at the forefront of my mind. I havebeen running that grand ol lady for 12 years, she deserves retirement.

My wall of text sounds a little bragard, but I was trying to say only that I am grateful for the good fortune.

Neat. I need turnaround stories like that, for 2012 was a for-shyte year for me, but it wasn't all bad...just bad timing and bad luck. 2013 is promising to look brighter for myself also.

I'm gonna have to second The Rev's sentiments. If you really, really love what you're doing, future-money and promises are what put you back to square one in the beginning--and took you farther from what you love. There's reach and over-reach. If your fig tree has the right fruit, the right amount, and looks promising, no sense in leaving it to get three more.

Only you know for sure...so, glad your life has blossomed, and good luck with the dice rolling. :) No shame in walking away with what ya got. Still waiting just to get a little win under my belt career-wise myself--if effort truly paid, I'd be a billionaire. Luck means a lot. Don't discount it, and certainly don't test its mettle.

8)

Kyle Weiss":p66pdjx5 said:
Neat. I need turnaround stories like that, for 2012 was a for-shyte year for me, but it wasn't all bad...just bad timing and bad luck. 2013 is promising to look brighter for myself also.

I'm gonna have to second The Rev's sentiments. If you really, really love what you're doing, future-money and promises are what put you back to square one in the beginning--and took you farther from what you love. There's reach and over-reach. If your fig tree has the right fruit, the right amount, and looks promising, no sense in leaving it to get three more.

Only you know for sure...so, glad your life has blossomed, and good luck with the dice rolling. :) No shame in walking away with what ya got. Still waiting just to get a little win under my belt career-wise myself--if effort truly paid, I'd be a billionaire. Luck means a lot. Don't discount it, and certainly don't test its mettle.

8)
Kyle, I know the feeling firsthand of just flat out wishing for some sort of "win." Something that brought me through that time (my for-shyte year was 2011) was this little habit I developed. When times are tough, people tend to get more and more negative. The way to break that cycle obviously, is to stop the negativity. Everyone says that crap but gives no advice about how to do it. Here the difference that worked for me. Take the time to compliment someone anytime you can. "Hey stranger, nice, hat, tie, whatever." People perk right up when you do that, and creating some positive energy in someone else creates it in you as well. It helped me out of a big slump. Without getting to "The Secret-ish" (really not a fan of new age psycho-babble sold for premium prices) that nice gesture attracts nice gestures. I started doing that and life seemed a little easier, the phone started ringing again and I was able to move forward. Likely, it simply worked because I was more pleasant to be around and in turn gave better interviews and got the job, but either way you look at it, it works. It turns out, many of those "Habits of successful people" articles include being complimentary, or giving credit when and where it's due, and being generally grateful for the opportunities life presents.

As for me, the more I talk to that "other" company the more I like them. It's an opportunity to do what I love on a national scale, and an opportunity I didn't think I'd ever have. I had breakfast with the CEO and true brains behind the operation and he's a guy I'd follow into battle and want to have a beer with that afternoon. I am going to meet them this week for what the recruiter told me will be an offer meeting. I'm giddy about it and ready for a new adventure.

In one of the many Viking adventure novels I've read they explain the Norseman's relationship to the gods. Essentially they said that Odin and Thor like bravery. It is man's job to be entertaining to the gods, so being brave, taking some risks and scaring the crap out of yourself makes the gods happy. Any happy gods reward man with adventure, more opportunity to be brave and luck from time to time.