Olfactory Inquiry As It Pertains To The Palette

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout Bum

Reaction score
Greetings, fellow imbibers! I have a bit of an odd question here... When I smoke tobacco from a pipe, as I am doing now, I tend to inhale JUST THE TINIEST SMIDGEON, every now and then, through my nose, as the smoke gently wafts from my mouth. I do this to better "taste" the complexities of whatever baccy I am enjoying at that moment. Of course, the sense of smell is directly related to the palette, or sense of taste, but I wonder If I am the only one that does this. I really can't "taste" much, just using my mouth. When I inhale small amounts of smoke throught my nose, all sorts of wonderful subtleties become apparent. Does anyone out there do this as well, or am I some sort of island in the stream, some sort of whacked out nose smoker? Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated!

Yours in all things briar related,

Trout Bum

PS I highly suspect I am not alone in this, though I most likely retain the "whacked out" diagnosis.

Do the exact same thing. Some blends it's a great experience, like with Arcadia. Some blends it doesn't really do much for me.

I do the same, and for the same reason.

When I'm first trying a blend, I have no qualms about wafting a good amount of the smoke from the bowl and taking some deep sniffs--the way you'd do with a good wine or liquor.

I think I find smoking on a walk outdoors so pleasant because the smell I get is always from the fresh smoke, rather than the lingering smoke aroma in a closed room.

Yuppin' Yiminy, by golly, I do this quite often; and always with a new 'baccy!! And, yes, get a fresh "whiff," not a lingering after aroma from leftover room-note! :pipe: FTRPLT

I inhale a bit through my nose to help taste, and sometimes (depending on the blend) exhale through my nose while swishing the smoke around in my mouth,,,,,

I do not inhale, but rather expel a small amount of smoke through the nose while puffing. Simply close your mouth as you finish blowing the puff of smoke from your mouth and the last little bit will escape through your nose. In the cigar world it's called retrohaling. Without it the ability for me to taste the tobacco diminishes greatly.

"retrohaling" Thanks PD! Now I know what I've been doing occasionally. Though sometimes I exhale all the puff through my nose, especially with a creamy tobacco.

Jim

I do the same but only started a few months ago...it greatly enhances the experience and flavor.

I don't recommend it during the charring light though. :(

I usually exhale at least some of the smoke through my nose.
A whole lot of taste is smell.
But I don't inhale. Ain't no taste buds in yer lungs.

Puff Daddy":5lazqejr said:
I do not inhale, but rather expel a small amount of smoke through the nose while puffing. Simply close your mouth as you finish blowing the puff of smoke from your mouth and the last little bit will escape through your nose. In the cigar world it's called retrohaling. Without it the ability for me to taste the tobacco diminishes greatly.
I thought that was what he was trying to convey in the first place. We all do it and it greatly enhances the smoking experience.