Olive wood pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one - an RD Powell bent with bakelite stem. Smokes great. Can't say I noticed any difference in taste, but I did break it in slowly since I read somewhere that olive wood is not as dense as briar. Sure is an attractive looking pipe with the olive wood swirly grain.

Cheers,

RR

I too have one of Ron's Olivewood pipes. A nice pot esque job with a twisted shank and a beautiful black and yellow twisted stem. I did not notice any particular flavor when breaking her in but I will warn you the wood does scorch easily. I have a nice black mark on the front of the bowl from trying to light up in the wind.

Jim

"I did break it in slowly since I read somewhere that olive wood is not as dense as briar."

"I did not notice any particular flavor when breaking her in but I will warn you the wood does scorch easily. I have a nice black mark on the front of the bowl from trying to light up in the wind."

Thanks for the info guys.  I hope olive wood is not as soft as pear wood.  I have a pear wood pipe that I scorched and it also burned through.  Maybe I should coat the inside of the new olive wood pipe with pipe mud before I use it.

Corncobcon":v9lmzuc6 said:
Anyone have an olive wood pipe?   I was curious about these so I ordered one from
Cup O' Joes along with some Peterson Wild Atlantic tobacco.
Pics, or it didn't happen! :twisted:

Davy Jones":vvzd9ay5 said:
Corncobcon":vvzd9ay5 said:
Anyone have an olive wood pipe?   I was curious about these so I ordered one from
Cup O' Joes along with some Peterson Wild Atlantic tobacco.
Pics, or it didn't happen! :twisted:

When I get the pipe, then you'll get the pics!  It should be in the mail tomorrow.

Oooh, pretty!

I've got many wooden pipes and have yet to burn one out. I break them in like new cobs. If you haven't burnt a cob out you should be fine with olive.

Corncobcon":2wjvms7r said:
Here ya go, Davy Jones...

Cool grain on this one.  I hope I can break it in without scorching it.
That's the spirit, mate!
A beauty you got yourself there! Enjoy!

Gorgeous pipe you have there. Never owned one made of Olive wood so am finding the thread interesting.