On cellaring a pound

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emerald

Reaction score
In another thread I started, H&H Anniversary Kake was recommended to me, so I put in a small bit with an order of tins. I loved this stuff so much, that I bought a whole pound for under $30.

Now, the question is, what do I do with it?
It arrived two days ago, and I stuck it in a very large sealed jar to age. I'm having second thoughts about this, because, first, I will probably be tempted to reach in and grab some in the near future, and second, once I age it for however long I do and crack it open, I'll have a whole pound just sitting there.

How do you all deal with cellaring large bulk quantities? I'm thinking get some smaller jars, so I have some to enjoy in the meantime.

I cellar my bulk tobacco in small mason jars (50g or 2oz quantities).

I have cellared in the large Mason Jars, and then remove a few ounces at a time over many months, and see no ill effect.

NeroWolfe":h360psk5 said:
I have cellared in the large Mason Jars, and then remove a few ounces at a time over many months, and see no ill effect.
No ill effects, but the "aging" stops.

I cellar bulk with a half and half method: half in a big jar for long term storage and half in smaller jars for readier access. Will post some pics of my stash one of thee days.

My preference is 8oz jam jars that usually hold 100g pretty nicely.

Jam Jars! Awesome. I got a sweet looking pint and a half Mr. Peanut Planters glass jar I've decided to convert over...metal top and a tight screw on (just like the newer mason jars). Plus, it has Mr. Peanut himself molded around the glass. I think it originally held spicy chili peanuts...washed it in dishwasher and now its ready to go as soon as I make it into Seattle to buy some more bulk....Who doesn't like Mr. Peanut?

Sorry, when I said jam jars, I was referring to the 8oz Ball jars that are sold specifically for canning jams and jellies. We do a lot of canning and have a plentiful supply of those around the house, and the size is convenient for storage and for opening an appropriate amount. Actually I usually shoot for 5 of these jars per lb so it works out to just under 100g per jar.

Hunter I got all excited about someone else just using whatever is laying around...oh well. Its so much more fun to find what you have laying around then going to Walmart to buy more mason jars...Buying mason jars is like buying an iPod, you are definitely paying for the brand name (plus I don't think they have a lot of competition...well Ball I suppose). Now, I do use Mason Jars, but I also use other things. I have a feeling that unless you are aging a tobacco for years any reasonably tightly sealed glass container will work. Sometimes I open my fridge and go, "When that's gone I could definitely use that...." I've even heard of people using paint cans to store tobacco...But its probably like Spanish Cedar for Humidors, you don't really NEED Spanish Cedar but if worms show up you wish you had it...

I also like the concept of just using glass jars from around the house. However, there are two primary factors against it for me.

1. I can be reasonably certain that the seal on a brand new mason jar lid won't fail. Obviously not 100% but significantly higher than the potential of an old vlassic or PB jar seal failure.

2. Uniformity of look. I guess I have some minor OCD or whatever, because I get a real kick out of having the same jars all lined up, neat and tidy.

I guess I view the mason jars as part of the overt expense of cellaring. I'm already in the hole on the tobacco cost, so why not pay the fairly minor extra charge to store it in the safest way possible. I can't think of a greater disappointment than opening a cellared jar after 5 or 10 years and having the tobacco be ruined.

Good points CLRV. But, I just look at those Mason Jars, especially the ones with the screw on lid, and say, "Well, what is special about that as opposed to X glass jar with screw on top?" Maybe a year from now I will discover that I was burned, but once I put it into a jar and decide to age it for however long I don't want to re-open it to put it in a fancier jar and screw up the aging process. So I figure I make my bed and I'll lie in it. Guess I'm just too lazy to buy more mason jars!

I also use the Mason Jam jars, they're great for 1-2 ounces, which is what I like.

momus":oqr780t9 said:
Good points CLRV. But, I just look at those Mason Jars, especially the ones with the screw on lid, and say, "Well, what is special about that as opposed to X glass jar with screw on top?" Maybe a year from now I will discover that I was burned, but once I put it into a jar and decide to age it for however long I don't want to re-open it to put it in a fancier jar and screw up the aging process. So I figure I make my bed and I'll lie in it. Guess I'm just too lazy to buy more mason jars!
I think it's a great thing to experiment. Plus, if you report how it goes on here we'll all benefit from the process. I would prefer to use the "X glass jars" myself; I can get over the OCD factor if it seems reasonably sure that the tobacco will be alright.

I've been thinking about it more as well; the really important part is less the screw on lid, and more the rubbery seal that joins the lid to the lip of the glass. Theoretically, if the X glass jar seal is intact and still retaining a seal, they're almost identical to a mason jar. The only real difference is that the lid is in two parts on the masons. The cool part about the seal is that even just screwing the mason jar lid on usually creates enough of a connection that I can take the screw part of the lid off and the flat part remains attached to the jar and I have to pry it up. Better living through science :lol: .

I know some of the guys put plastic wrap over the lip before screwing on the lid. Maybe that would reduce the chance of seal failure.

Regardless, please let us know how it turns out.

CLRV":et970okc said:
momus":et970okc said:
I think it's a great thing to experiment. Plus, if you report how it goes on here we'll all benefit from the process. I would prefer to use the "X glass jars" myself; I can get over the OCD factor if it seems reasonably sure that the tobacco will be alright.

I've been thinking about it more as well; the really important part is less the screw on lid, and more the rubbery seal that joins the lid to the lip of the glass. Theoretically, if the X glass jar seal is intact and still retaining a seal, they're almost identical to a mason jar. The only real difference is that the lid is in two parts on the masons. The cool part about the seal is that even just screwing the mason jar lid on usually creates enough of a connection that I can take the screw part of the lid off and the flat part remains attached to the jar and I have to pry it up. Better living through science :lol: .

I know some of the guys put plastic wrap over the lip before screwing on the lid. Maybe that would reduce the chance of seal failure.

Regardless, please let us know how it turns out.
One cautionary warning I would add, don't take the screw lid off the Mason-type jars even though the remaining disk-lid seems solidly sealed. If, as you want to happen, those happy little yeasty microbes work their magic over the coming years, the presser will be outward, pushing against the rubber gasket. I've had some lids literally bulge upward from the pressure. This is the opposite of using the jars for traditional caning of jams and such, as they are jarred up hot and as they cool, they create somewhat of a vacuum that holds the lid down tightly. Aging tobaccos create pressure in the opposite direction.

Natch

Along the sames lines...I know of, and use, the Mason jars to store my tobacco. Has anyone had any luck with other types of jars? I also use the bail top jars. Some are good and others are not but with a careful exam of the gasket and the wire one can generally fix a bad bail lid. I've heard of using jars with a one piece lid and an integral gasket. Coffee jars and the likes. I know they work short term.