On Petersons

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's really no real resolution on this debate. Some folks love em' and others hate em'. I think there's better pipes for the money available but that's just me....

Amenhotep04":h0ka9972 said:
How does a 'ridiculously large button' influence the smoke of the pipe?

:farao:
Well... look... here is a nice looking set of medium expensive pipes, at around 180 bucks a pipe.

And the stem work is.... just big.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=63686

So it affects the quality of the smoke by me not wanting that smoking tool between my teeth very often or very long.

I'm not saying they're bad pipes, I'm not saying they don't smoke good, I'm not saying anything except that as my tastes have grown, and as I've learned more and more about making pipes, I appreciate Petersons less. If someone asks me for a good 85 dollar pipe, I will still say "Check out a Peterson Aran" but if someone asks for a good value at say, 150-200 dollars, I think I can get them more pipe for the money with some other brands.

Idle's accumulation of them illustrates something significant about Petersons, methinks : many times, people who love them really love them.

Years ago, on dot org (before I got thrown out for talking back), I mentioned that a Peterson 80S was arguably the ultimate Virginia Flake pipe ever made. This drew a response from a guy who had something like fifty of them. Not fifty Petersons -- fifty Peterson 80Ss for smoking flakes.

That kind of singleminded loyalty is pretty unusual in the pipe world, but not unusual where Petes are concerned.

:face: