One I saved

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnbanjo

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Earlier this morning I grabbed a rather scarce model made by Missouri Meerschaum called the Monogram. The Monogram came with a nice ebonite stem which was marked with an M with a white outline.

When I got this pipe it was in sad shape and totally unsmokable. I have restored many pipes in the past and also have customized many but the condition that this pipe was in left me unsure if I could salvage it.

I took my time and some unorthodox methods to repair it but the real satisfaction came when I hade my first smoke in it post restoration.

As you can tell by how I’m dressed we’re in the 60’s today. I enjoyed some of nearly the last pipe full of Mac Baren Dark Twist Roll Cake, keeping it smokey and enjoying every minute of it.
banjo

44486233842_4d999f6b60_z_d.jpg

I didn’t take a before photo Brewdude, but if you look at the shank you will see a line across the length of it.

The shank was like that in 7 places so it needed to be taken apart then using a toothpick I used Gorilla Glue style super glue to place the pieces back together.

Where the top seam is was where I didn’t glue it originally, I took the stem and placed it in the shank, wound it with rubber tape so I would not get any of the Gorilla Glue on it and laid a thin layer into the groove just forward of the rubber tape and placed the male end back into,the bowl. It took a week to fill the void and after that time passed I removed the rubber tape and found the stem fit still where I wanted it to be.

I then placed a Stem with the same o.d. as the original inside the shank after applying a coating of Vaseline which wouldn’t allow the glue to adhere to the stem. Again it took 7 days to fill the void and then I attached the brass collar and cleaned the internal portion of the shank and allowed it to dry.

Once satisfied it was dried I knew the glue was cured I then placed a really light coating of the Gorilla Glue over the outside of the shank like varnish at least allowing it to be waterproof, once dried I used Elmer’s White Glue to glue the shank back into the bowl and allowed it to dry.

After 1 month I had its first smoke, a lot of work to be sure but in the world of cobs the Monogram is a rare beast, regards.
banjo

A monogram! That is a rare beast indeed! Here I thought I was the only fool that would put heroic effort into restoring a cob. Absolutely beautiful job you did. Enjoy that beauty sir.

Jim