One year testimonial

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlock999

Reaction score
Well, it's been 365 days of posting feverishly on BoB forum for me! When I came upon this site last year, I never could have imagined how much fun I would have, and it has been fun. In addition to learning about pipes and smoking, I learned a little about myself, and that's a good thing. Met some nice folks as well!
My tastes in tobacco and pipes have changed quite a bit, which shouldn't surprise me, as I really didn't know much when I started (still don't!). My favorite pipes a year ago were large, bent, sandblasted freehands, and I preferred Virginia flakes and aromatic blends. I still like the large freehand briars, but I tend to find myself reaching for smaller, smooth pipes (especially bulldogs) for smoking, and I mostly go for English blends now. A year ago, I was rather ambivalent about the bulldog/Rhodesian shape, and Latakia intimidated me!
I started out buying many cheaper estate pipes, but now, I'm more selective. I still purchase from a wide price range though, as I like both cheap and expensive pipes. One of the first nice pipes I purchased was a Stanwell billiard, and that one acquisition really spurred on my interest in finding and collecting cool pipes. I'm no stranger to collecting, as it's something I've been doing my whole life, whether it was collecting rocks or bottle caps as a kid, to collecting guitars and records as an "adult" (disclaimer: I'm not much changed from the kid I was).
I kept representative examples of pipes from my earlier days of PAD, but I sold off quite a few as well, especially as my tastes changed. I still watch EBAY obsessively, but I think that phase is starting to wind down. Speaking of phases, I've gone through several in terms of pipes. A few times now, I've thought that I had discovered the ultimate pipe carver or tobacco blend, only to move on as I assimilated more knowledge and refinement (ha!). I still favor traditional shapes over avant garde pipes however. My favorites are neo-classical pipes; traditional shapes that have been tastefully interpreted and modified by the carver.
An interesting by product of my pipe obsession is a renewed interest in photography. I've always enjoyed taking pics, but the challenge to try to take nice pipe photos is one that has really turned into a new hobby for me. Waiting for mother nature to cooperate, and being ready once she does, has been a great learning experience. Patience is one thing I've always struggled with, and taking photos of pipes using nothing but natural sunlight without any manipulation via Photoshop can test my patience, but it's been a lot of fun.
It's interesting to note how much turn over there has been in active members over this past year, but I'm guessing that that is not unusual in the world of internet hobby forums. Still, quite a few knowledgeable veterans have gone quiet, and of course new members join every day.
Anyway, I apologize for making this post so lengthy! Below is the Stanwell that helped spark my fascination with pipes, and it's near doppelganger that I was very happy to find recently. I guess some things haven't changed!

A little late afternoon October sunshine.

Hey man! Has it been only a year!? Guess so much has happened it feels like longer. The TFD thread of last season seems like eons ago, doesn't it ?! Anyhow, hope you stick around for another couple at least! 8)

MisterE":547i2os1 said:
Hey man! Has it been only a year!? Guess so much has happened it feels like longer. The TFD thread of last season seems like eons ago, doesn't it ?! Anyhow, hope you stick around for another couple at least! 8)
It's true!
Even though time seems to have flown by in most ways, "BoB" time seems to move at a somewhat different pace.
And thanks, E, it's been a pleasure!
TFD... :cheers:

It's interesting to look back and take note of the changes in your tobacco and pipe preferences once in a while. I flip back through my tobacco log at what I was smoking in years past,,and how I rated different blends and I have to laugh. Same goes for the pipes I've let go because I lost interest in the shape,or size,,,,I wonder if I'll come back full circle and be interested in them again. A full year as an active member,,in light of the member turnover rate it sounds like a good reason to have a celebration.,,,light a bowl of your best, pour a glass of your favorite, and figure out which pipe to put at the top of your PAD list.

mark":ocjvtxne said:
It's interesting to look back and take note of the changes in your tobacco and pipe preferences once in a while. I flip back through my tobacco log at what I was smoking in years past,,and how I rated different blends and I have to laugh. Same goes for the pipes I've let go because I lost interest in the shape,or size,,,,I wonder if I'll come back full circle and be interested in them again. A full year as an active member,,in light of the member turnover rate it sounds like a good reason to have a celebration.,,,light a bowl of your best, pour a glass of your favorite, and figure out which pipe to put at the top of your PAD list.
Yup!
And laughter is good!
Thanks Mark, I appreciate it.

Congratulations! Your photographs are always inspirational, but I fear I don't have your skill set... (or patience..)

So, after one year, is there one hallmark pipe and hallmark tobacco for you?

A "Happy Birthday" of sorts is in order. In the short time I have been a member I find your posts to be helpful to others and more than one has given me a smile; a rarity.

So in honor of this event, Penzance and coffee are on the menu this morning in a Stanwell similar in configuration to those displayed. At least until I get this TURKEY foot dried enough (your next birthday perhaps) that I won't feel like it's trying to walk away...

Congratulations and keep posting,

Thanks for posting that! Great photos as well.

Your post is inspiring for a newb to the forum such as myself. :cheers:

Nice post Harlock, and I feel I can relate to many of the sentiments in your post.

Your photos are always excellent. It seems your knack for photography and your passion for pipes were made for eachoher!

Thank you very much, gentlemen!
I wouldn't be having so much fun if it weren't for you guys!
Cheers,
Chris.
:cheers:

You know, I wasn't sure what was cooler, a forum where someone was willing to look back at a year and share where they had been and where they are now in a very honest and interesting manner (most forums wouldn't really care, no matter what the subject)... or the great response you got from the variety of folks here?

There's a reason why I keep coming back, and I hope by this time next year, I'll be able to make a post just like this! It will be interesting to see where my interests will lie. With all of the learning and information here, pictures and suggestions, it will be a fun journey.

Hope we're all around then, too!

Happy join-date birthday, Harlock. 8)

That's an interesting perspective, Harlock. I think that most of us have travelled a long way since our first posts. I'm one of those who seldom posts anymore. It's just that other things take more of my time, now. And I'm not much into buying pipes anymore, although I still smoke and keep building up my cellar. But I still like to check this group out and occasionally drop a line or two. This is a great community and I enjoy participating, even if only a little.

Congrats on your 1 year here at BoB. You sure do take some beautiful pictures.

Great post Chris! I remember when I first arrived almost a year ago, you were one of the friendliest members here, and I always have looked forward to reading your opinions, perspectives, and viewing your pipe collection.

Your photography does deserve honorable mention as well! :cheers:

Dutch":3mr2nkgi said:
Great post Chris! I remember when I first arrived almost a year ago, you were one of the friendliest members here, and I always have looked forward to reading your opinions, perspectives, and viewing your pipe collection.

Your photography does deserve honorable mention as well! :cheers:
Thank you, sir!
I really appreciate your kind words. That's just what I like about this place, and it's members!
Thanks again!
Chris.