Oom Paul - favorite or seldom smoked?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to try a burley, maybe one on the dry side.

They don't look like bowls that could be turned, except maybe that black Parks (great rustication!). How are they roughed out? Thin sanding wheel? Rasps?

Steve

To turn any bent pipe, you have to work on it along the axis it's spinning, and like any pipe, anything below the shank can't be done on the lathe.

I rough on a 1x30 sanding belt which allows a guy to tuck right in behind it so you have a lot of freedom. I'm pretty sure Rad does most of his roughing on a wheel (plate), but it amounts to the same thing.

So if you look at a shape like a Peterson 315 for instance, that's a tough one cuz you have to turn the top but the angles are bitchy.

I had a wonderful Savinelli Hungarian that I enjoyed quite a bit. One for at home, not in public, as I felt a little silly looking with it in my mouth. A very practical pipe as it never gurgled due to it´s natural "Peterson System" design. It was lost in one our many moves along with about 20 others. The most painful being a couple of nice Saseinis :x

I own two Oom Pauls. One I bought maybe 35 years ago, and probably didn't pay more than $10 for it (Lloyds brand, Italy). Nonetheless it is well-made, smokes nicely, and has very interesting grain. Recently I made one from a kit by Kim Kendall (penguinbriar.com) and it also smokes wonderfully well. I love to fill it with a good Balkan and keep my hands warm this time of year. I also rest it on my chest while reading, and I like being able to see what I am lighting/tamping.
Many are put off by the shape, from a purely esthetic standpoint. Others complain about gurgling. As for gurgling, a properly made example will have a moisture trap in the shank that is easily cleaned with a Q-tip. Neither of mine will pass a cleaner while smoking, but I don't mind. I just use fairly dry tobacco, and smoke slowly enough that it does not gurgle. Weight is not an issue for clenching, as even the heaviest Oom Paul will just hang from the jaw easily without effort. This shape is a classic example of function over fashion.

Danish_Pipe_Guy said:
I only own two. Both were special commissions made for me by Michael Parks. Truthfully I like the shape's looks far more than their performance. I'm of the school that a billiard or a canadian outsmokes any fullbent.

I'm with you on the Canadians, DPG.

I just saw an interesting Oom Paul on eBay... a S.YANIK Meerschaum... very interesting.

sstodvictory":5b0c0dmc said:

Oom Paul fans - what setting and tobacco brings forth your enjoyment of this shape?

Steve

giubileo_oompaul_1.jpg

I've got 2 oom Pauls, a Savinelli & GBD and they are both great smoking pipes. Love the feel and they clench effortlessly!

I'll play  :twisted:  The only Oom Paol or Hungarian as it was also known as that I have which I got from Bro Matia this year, my BBB Own Make "Warwick". Works well with my dentures as this one's small, about a grp 4 sized and light .  :twisted: 

I would very much like to find an oom paul. I love full bent pipes, but have yet to find one that is comfortable to clench while working with my hands. Correct drilling is a must though. Any good oom paul pipe makers out there that wont cost an arm and a leg?