Oom Paul vs Hungarian: Bit of a rant.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oxman":ykhjgibo said:
I am of English descent.

Every leader in history is seen very differently by his followers or his enemies.

The name reflects the persons preference for a particular shape not their politics or actions.

Its an Oom Paul pipe, NOT a Hungarian as far as I am concerned.

I still want one!
You may be "... of English descent..." but many of your English pipe firms, Dunhill and BBB are two for example, called this shape a Hungarian!! mmm :twisted: :twisted:

Puffer Mark":rntk3tci said:
Jevverrett":rntk3tci said:
Is the MM named for the man or the state? Regardless of the state being named for the man.
No Sh#@! You guys have state named after a guy called Meerschaum?? Cool!! :lol!:
Oh the great state of meerschaum! Sorry- I know Washington state is named for G Washington. I think the pipe may be named for him as well. There's also the patriot and country gentlemen which sort of fit as a theme I believe.

I just ordered my first Oom Paul. (another Tinsky)
http://webshop.amsmoke.com/2015-IPSD-PIPE-Oom-Paul.html
oompau10.jpg

Lovely pipe! Certainly ticks all the boxes to conform to the shape name, which is, of course. . . :twisted:

South African history and humor aside I've never called that shape anything but an Oom Paul.

This debate reminds me of the teacher in Kentucky a few years back who got himself into trouble with the school system and the media. It seems to me that part of the bigger problem, is when the media spots a fire, and decides to pour some gas on it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XURRzofbMc0" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

That's what I'm saying.. I'm with the student 100%..  It's totally unacceptable for a caucasian american man to use the racial slur the african American man uses routinely.  It's just devastating and proves racism still exist if it comes out of a caucasian American man's lips... Even if he's rappin along with the lyrics of an song written/produced/performed by an African American man.

I hope I get banned for that.

This post has probably outlived it's usefulness, but was just listening to a episode of Pipes Magazine Radio Show where the Oom Paul came up.

For interest, if such exists, the Afrikaans pronunciation is oo-wim-pole as apposed to oompawl.

puros_bran":afwjxpuc said:
It's totally unacceptable for a caucasian american man to use the racial slur the african American man uses routinely.  It's just devastating and proves racism still exist if it comes out of a caucasian American man's lips...
Ever have the thought, though, that crying "Wolf!" every time you see a dachshund on a leash might influence the response when a real wolf comes around? I allude, of course, to a once well-known parable.

Hey... I'm not racist, one of my best friends is a Caucasian-American..

I kinda don't respect some of the Hungarian point of view. Firstly, if you have strong anti Kruger feelings why not simply smoke any and all of the other numerous shapes. If you read that link from the original post that mentioned Hitler I'd like to suggest a thought. That man said that if Hitler had a namesake shape it would be unpalatable to tell someone you were smoking the Hitler. While true, I would point out that almost everything unique about Hitler is now avoided rather than renamed. People don't grow the Hitler mustache and tell you it's the Austria-Hungarian. We simply avoid it. There's something self undermining about being offended by something but not enough to simply avoid having it because you want it.

The above may be a bit of a hard line view. I suspect people aren't so much personally offended by him really as they are just trying to extend some sensitivity to something that when put under the microscope does relate to some past wrong. Again, not enough not to avoid the shape but some kind of deference. Then just do that. You will say Hungarian and be making a sensitive gesture and be understood by the pipe community. Others will say Oom Paul and be talking about a pipe shape and be understood by the pipe community. Why do so many need to make sure the whole world is in lock step with their feelings. I find that there's a lot of people these days that force behaviors based on what they think people are doing wrong and not simply doing what they think is right. I find the second type of person more impactful.

Just my thoughts.

Don't come into our hate spewin thread with all that reasoning and logic.  We hate that!

The logic of some folk these days is to go find things to be outraged about.. To run other people into the ground to somehow make themselves feel better, like "everyone else is a piece of crap so I'm okay"..  Anyone that has spent five minutes examining the South Afrikan troubles will see that Oom Paul was an admirable character for his time, and you have to judge the man in his time..pull anything far enough out of its context and you can nitpick it into anything you want.

6 years ago Hillary Clinton told us America wasn't ready for a black president, don't see to many liberals running her up the flag pole now do we...lol.   Silly Liberals and their selective character assassination.

I've always called that shape Oom Paul. It's been Oom Paul for about 100 years. But, if it's a Dunhill (I have a Shell and a Tanshell 591) it should be called Hungarian. But, I don't. I even call my Dunhills Oom Pauls. But, I'll be careful not to when I visit England.

RobD

When you get to ground level, the name just denotes a style of pipe. The political and historic connotations are of use to people with a vested interest in keeping the discussion of historic events alive. Nothing wrong with that. But we could all agree to call Oom Pauls Hungarians and it wouldn't change the past. We should try to remember the past as it was, not a sanitized version. The other day, I was telling a friend of how I looked forward to reading to my new grandbaby the stories I'd read to his mother. Oh, like what, she asked. Uncle Remus, I replied, in my naïveté. She was appalled, and said that was no longer appropriate. One day we'll be told the Lincoln Memorial should be razed, because Abe wasn't always clearly and unequivocally opposed to "the peculiar institution." But by following that path, we lose the courage and integrity demonstrated by Abe's transformation. I'd say we need a clear view of the past, warts and all, to see that some progress has been made.