oouuch!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankluke

Reaction score
my tongue is on fire, i can't taste anything.. what am i doing wrong? the smoke doesn't seem hot to me, maybe i'm just to new and i've had about 5 bowls the last few days, could that be the problem?

I could be a ph (acidity vs. alkalinity) think with the smoke. While the smoke is not hot, it is acidic and can burn the tongue. I could be the frequency of your smokes, it could be that you are smoking too fast. I know when I smoke several bowls throughout the day my tongue starts to burn as well. I also notice it more with VA blends as they tend to smoke "hot" and cause tongue bite. I still only smoke about three to pipes a week so those here who are more frequent puffers might have some more advise for you.

Trust me I know what you are talking about. If yoy think you are smoking slow, smoke even slower! Also depends on pipe, if the pipe is new, it will require extra caution.

For a shortcut buy a few estates from a reputable seller. I did, and the difference is huge :)

The first thing I'd try is packing less tightly and going sloooow and easy. If it goes out, it goes out. But don't huff it to keep it lit. Little, shallow sips. And don't tamp it hard at all.

:face:

Good advice Yak! Don't be afraid to relight rather than puffing too hard to keep it lit which is sure to make it smoke hot.

Utter nonsense, all of it. Puff harder,draw deeper, build tongue calluses. :D

For tongue workouts when ya can't smoke suck on habaneros and jalepenos.

Calluses for ya know it.

puros_bran":9rvbc09l said:
Utter nonsense, all of it. Puff harder,draw deeper, build tongue calluses. :D

For tongue workouts when ya can't smoke suck on habaneros and jalepenos.

Calluses for ya know it.
Maybe that is why I never get tongue bite after all........ :lol:

Tongue bite is usually caused by : (1) Smoking tobacco that is'nt properly humidified (2) Smoking a pipe which is'nt properly broken in (3) Smoking too fast...

I have a feeling that you're smoking a pipe which has'nt been broken in a little too fast...

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

Did someone say pipetongue!!?? :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: Ken
Pacem en Pacem!! :tongue: :pirat:

Carlos":xuv0mk3a said:
How's the tongue?
lol, much better.. i got in two bowls today. i slowed my pace down alot, seems to be working.

i'm down to about 8 relights to finish a bowl too! :lol:

Nobody really counts relights. Although, if it seems like a lot, maybe dry the tobacco a bit more. Practice will make perfect.

Nick,

The fabled one match smoke is rare. Unless your training for 'slow smoke' compitions relights don't count. All that matters is that you enjoy yourself. Unlike a cigar,letting a pipe go out isn't a big deal. I sometimes let it go out on purpose, a rest break during the smoke so I can concentrate on other things. I would share with you the number of relights I need but I have a public education and can't count that high :D

Tongue bite is pretty common in the beginning, and you've received some excellent advice. One of the ways to tell when you're somking too hot is to touch the bowl of your pipe to your cheek(it's more heat sensitive than your hands) If you can't hold it there for a few seconds, you're smoking too hot - so take a break and let the pipe cool down, it'll still be there.

Also there is a mouthwash called Biotene - it's alcohol free and helps soothe tongue bite. Good luck!

Happy puffin'
Meer
:flower:

Dry a bowlful of tobacco more than you think it should be and see how that smokes. The worst case of tonguebite I ever had came after trying too hard to smoke some moist tobacco. Since then I've smoked some tobacco that was dry as dust and it performed remarkably better than I expected. Give the dry tobacco a shot and see if your relight number drops and and your tongue feels better.

showme

Showme, I agree on the dryer tobacco. I like my tobacco rather dry for that very reason.