Open tin storage

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.L.Ruth

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
So I have a few unopened tins of snuff that I didn't want to open until I finish the one I have open. I didn't want to open them because I don't know how to store it after. I don't go through a lot and a couple of the tins see quite large so I wouldn't want them to "go bad" or anything. Any tips on storing open tins?

Many hardcore snuff folks will recommend using ball jars as you would for pipe tobacco. But, I'll be quite honest, I just put the lid on and throw them in my desk. I don't have the palate JimInks has, and for my money they remain just fine over time. And yes, I have some open tins that are 10+ years old and they still seem just fine to me. YMMV. The only problem with my method with extremely moist snuffs is that they will dry out, but a moistened paper towel put over the container then held in place by the lid overnight solves this issue.

Good luck!

If my tins might sit a while I'll go ahead and run a strip of Scotch tape around the seam. That tends to be enough for me. I did have an old tin of Bernard's Double Fermented get a touch dry and the rehydration advice from Zanaspus works the charm.