Opinions Wanted;Effect of the Weak Dollar on Collecting

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winslow

Reaction score
I'd like to solicit some opinions about what effect the weak dollar means to our hobby.
I've noticed that some of the Italian carvers are raising prices 20%,which should make
estate pipes that much more attractive.I collect Ardor,so I'm more in tune with
those pipes.As I see it,the 245$ pipe I bought last year[which now goes for 325$],
has appreciated 20%.
This strong Euro and weak dollar has got to be killing those carvers while at the same time helping the estate market to prosper.

Winslow

I've heard that Asia and Russia are picking up a lot of the slack being caused by our backing off from the imports. The strong Euro ($1.59!!!) is hurting a lot of Europe's imports to the US. Chicago is a huge show so I doubt it will have too much impact on seeing less foreign makers in attendance. It definitely has hit us in the pocketbook though. I've read that some European mfrs have tried to hold back passing on increases and thus hurting their margins so I'd guess that some European pipe makers might be doing that to a certain extent as well. Conversely, I've seen some European pipe sites (Talbert is the first that comes to mind..not really a European but an ex-pat living in France) that continue to price pipes in Euros and just charge US customers whatever the going conversion rate is.

The price of pipes and tobaccos sure has gone up since all that happened. I wonder what will happen if the dollar ever get back to where it should be. :cry:

some of the members from overseas on another board have stated that they've been buying on ebay like madmen.
for a Larsen that normally costs them around $300 US, they are getting on ebay (even new ones) for around $80-120 US. they're getting super deals on all this stuff.

regor":37csnuyv said:
The price of pipes and tobaccos sure has gone up since all that happened. I wonder what will happen if the dollar ever get back to where it should be. :cry:
That will depend on what happens to sales trands during the time that the dollar is in the tank. I spoke with one maker who told me he was getting clobbered in the US market. He's held his prices in Euros, and let the USD price rise accordingly. I'm sure he'd love to bring his prices back to where they were when the dollar had some strength.

Another I know has absorbed some of the decline, and reports his sales are quite steady, despite the increased price of his pipes. He has less incentive to lower them if the dollar recovers. In fact, he needs the dollar to recover at least somwhat to repay his losses.

There may be some benefit to North American makers to all of this, on the other hand. Whilst the cost of briar has certainly increased, they're still in a better position to gather some momentum now, more than ever before, especially amongst European collectors.

It will be interesting to observe the trends on the estate market. In that playground, it's a good time to be a seller.

Having the CND on par with USD is a bonanza for most things. Generally, it's good for the Canadian importers but hurts the exporters. It is a significant savings to buy from the US compared to a couple years ago.

:D Paul

Due to the price increases of imported pipes, for the past year I have devoted all my purchases to American-made pipes. I found that I like them more than I thought. :) The focus of my collection has shifted now and I don't think I'll go back to buy the same brands when (and if) their prices come down again.

I also changed my tobacco purchasing habits, from smaller tins to larger tins or bulks made in the US. However, I do still get some of my favorites, even if they cost twice as much, but in lesser amounts. If prices go down, my purchasing habits will change accordingly. I much prefer to pop a 50g tin than open a ziplog bag...

My collecting focus started shifting about three years ago to North American carvers because of the exchange rate. With the exception of a Love Geiger or estate pipes, all purchases for the last few years have been North American Carvers.

I will make an extra effort to buy American when ever I can.. What little I buy at this time due to a large lack of funds. I will do what I can :cyclops: :sunny: :sunny: