Oppose the Tobacco Tax Equity Act

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would assume a 200% tax increase would mean 200% on the taxes they already collect. Who this also hurts is the producers/blenders. They will have to up the price to cover their overhead because of lost profits.

(x) customers buying (y) ounces per year on average directly affects the small producer. The government takes their cut (tax), less customers purchase (y) ounces forcing the producer to increase the base price. Even less customers purchase said product forcing the producer to close their doors and lay off employees. Big producer X steps in with a cheaper and inferior product to fill the demand.

while(consumer = 'lose' && small_corp = 'lose'){
big_corp = 'win';
big_gov = 'win';
}

if (big_corp = 'win' && big_gov = 'win'){
politicians_claim_victory = true;
}

Hereward":hpm9ffgt said:
I would assume a 200% tax increase would mean 200% on the taxes they already collect. Who this also hurts is the producers/blenders. They will have to up the price to cover their overhead because of lost profits.

(x) customers buying (y) ounces per year on average directly affects the small producer. The government takes their cut (tax), less customers purchase (y) ounces forcing the producer to increase the base price. Even less customers purchase said product forcing the producer to close their doors and lay off employees. Big producer X steps in with a cheaper and inferior product to fill the demand.

while(consumer = 'lose' && small_corp = 'lose'){
big_corp = 'win';
big_gov = 'win';
}

if (big_corp = 'win' && big_gov = 'win'){
politicians_claim_victory = true;
}

I really hope this doesn't pass, it would be a serious problem not only for pipe smokers but also for smaller brick & mortar tobacco shops. With all the serious problems you'd think Congress might have more important issues to deal with.

Ed

Neil, the prospect of having my cellar deemed illegal, now that scares me, given all the tobacco I've been buying. Funny!/Tragic! But that's not happened in the US, yet. I think most countries will use the tax/govern policies. It has been very effective.

Following your drug metaphor, when we smoke a bowl we are "using," and when we purchase tobacco we are "scoring." Nicotine is a dangerous drug that must be regulated like any other illegal drug.

DONE!! Small government my ass! Both parties are worthless bastards only in it for themselves (of course, why else would they run for office). POS governor spent 73 million of his own money...cause he loves us so well? POS

GeoffC":u9ajef7j said:
I like that site. Took me a couple of tries to get the Opposed letter out but persistance pays off.
Yeah, it took a couple of attempts for mine to go through too, for whatever good, if any, it will do. Having done the email dance with my reps before on the earlier attempt on this issue I expect little and will not be surprised with less as an outcome.

Before, one senator said he did not expect it to come out of committee (he was correct THAT time), the other ignored me, and my mealy-mouthed representative gave some PC garbage pretty much telling me 'tough luck' (other language is better suited here but I cannot post it here).