Order from smokingpipes.com Canada?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konrad_von_Marburg

Reaction score
I placed two separate orders that were shipped out on the 15th. I am in Ontario and as of today still nothing in the mail. My first order arrived within 5 business days (not counting the day shipped).

Anyone else experience this kind of delay? I also paid more (USPS Priority International) for the 4th order I recently placed and upon examining the tracking status updates, it appears as though this shipping method is no more speedy- merely significantly more costly.

Any ideas or experiences?

Customs has a week to deal with any package that comes in. My experience with SP is that it takes about 10-15 days usually, and usually anything I buy from them is hit for every penny of taxes and duties that they can find at the border.

Sasquatch":m6q5mrk4 said:
Customs has a week to deal with any package that comes in.   My experience with SP is that it takes about 10-15 days usually, and usually anything I buy from them is hit for every penny of taxes and duties that they can find at the border.  
Sasquatch, wow. Are you in Ontario? I know Alberta is supposed to be really bad. I have heard conflicting stories re duties, taxes at the border here in Ontario.

Sometimes packages come through, sometimes not. I'm in Alberta, I've never had anything from smokingpipes NOT get taxed at the border. Pipes, tobacco, anything. I've had better luck with other vendors in this regard. But mostly I think it is just luck.

I don't think it's that much different here than Ontario... you guys have the same Federal tax we do, possible less provincial tobacco tax, but the customs fee, the canada post fees, and any duty (on more expensive stuff) will be the same for us all.

Sasquatch":hdl55l7e said:
Sometimes packages come through, sometimes not.  I'm in Alberta, I've never had anything from smokingpipes NOT get taxed at the border.  Pipes, tobacco, anything.  I've had better luck with other vendors in this regard.  But mostly I think it is just luck.  

I don't think it's that much different here than Ontario... you guys have the same Federal tax we do, possible less provincial tobacco tax, but the customs fee, the canada post fees, and any duty (on more expensive stuff) will be the same for us all.    
I am also a snuff user, and on other boards people tell me that there is a world of difference between tobacco coming into Alberta vs Ontario. Alberta is known for being far more strict- which is why I asked if you were in Alberta.

I have been veru lucky with no duties or taxes at all, ordering snuff products, and snus from the UK. I'll be in touch, though, if I get dinged this time.

I live in bananaland (formerly known as South Africa).

Packages from anywhere abroad take between 1 to 6 months to reach me.

Tax and duties varies between 15% to 80%, depending on who handles the package.

No decent tobacco is available locally.

Thank your lucky stars for living in a 1st world country.

SpeedyPete":yd5swe7h said:
I live in bananaland  (formerly known as South Africa).

Packages from anywhere abroad take between 1 to 6 months to reach me.

Tax and duties varies between 15% to 80%, depending on who handles the package.

No decent tobacco is available locally.

Thank your lucky stars for living in a 1st world country.

Wow, from what I have read re South Africa, it isn't a very nice place to be if you are a white farmer.

I find a lot of my orders from SP get hit by officialdom on the way here but that's probably not a shocker seeing as their store name is emblazoned on the packages and the contents listed in the customs form.

So what would be the implications if a private party on this side of the pond took delivery, repackaged, then shipped? Sounds like the commercial appearance of the package attracts attention. You could describe the contents as, oh, “Holiday Potpourri.”

So the order I placed with USPS Priority arrived yesterday. This was shipped on January 21st. However, I placed 2 other orders which were shipped the cheapest method on January 13th, and the other on January 14th.

I hope I receive these two orders soon. I'm getting a little worried.

Konrad_von_Marburg":04qytcoe said:
So the order I placed with USPS Priority arrived yesterday. This was shipped on January 21st. However, I placed 2 other orders which were shipped the cheapest method on January 13th, and the other on January 14th.

I hope I receive these two orders soon. I'm getting a little worried.
The cheapest shipping from SP is not tracked and comes on a (relatively) slow boat to Canada, but they do arrive eventually. I have used this ship method regularly. Patience is key. If an order is time-sensitive, pay for faster shipping.

I've heard that parcels with SP usually enter the country via Vancouver (not sure why; it would have something to do with USPS' Dist Ctre in Miami, I was told).
Vancouver is a smaller reception centre than Mississauga or St - Laurent, for example. So they also have more opportunities to check out incoming mail.
I have had SP orders idle for 9-10 days in Customs before heading to my home.
Try 4noggins. Yes, they have less choice. Yes, they are sometimes a bit more expensive but your order will not transit first through BC and cross 2/3 of the country to make it to your place. It will transit through either St-Laurent or Mississauga. Usually, within 5-8 days my order is home; as where I've seen 2- 3 weeks and + with SP.

Ok all this is an update.

I have received all packages now. My most recent purchase (order place Jan 21) where I selected priority mail came first. The package contained 1 Brigham Heritage pipe, 5 Arturo Fuente cigars, 5 Oliva cigars, 1 50g tin of Dunhill Nightcap, and a pack of rock maple filtres. Cost of this order was 187.47 USD. I was not dinged with any duties.

Last Friday I got my second most recent purchase (placed order on Jan 14th) which included an Erik Nording Dublin Sitter, and a pack of 40 B.J. Long Pipe cleaners. Order total $95.92 This order was sent with the cheapest shipping option and I was dinged $40.06 CDN for duties and handling. I had to go to the post office to pay this to pick up my package.

Today I got a notice saying that my earliest package has arrived (placed order on Jan 13th) which included 1 Missouri Meerschaum, 2oz tin G.L. Pease Gaslight, 2 oz Lane 1-Q, and 2 oz Lane RLP-6. Order total was $32.69 and this order was dinged by customs who want me to pay $58.69 yo pick up this package.

This is insane and I don't know if I should pay for this last package or just say screw it and forget about it even though that would mean I would lose the 32.69 USD I paid for it because smokingpipes.com won't reimburse tobacco orders.

Falcon Puffer":mi5wtpfm said:
I've heard that parcels with SP usually enter the country via Vancouver (not sure why; it would have something to do with USPS' Dist Ctre in Miami, I was told).
Vancouver is a smaller reception centre than Mississauga or St - Laurent, for example. So they also have more opportunities to check out incoming mail.
I have had SP orders idle for 9-10 days in Customs before heading to my home.
Try 4noggins. Yes, they have less choice. Yes, they are sometimes a bit more expensive but your order will not transit first through BC and cross 2/3 of the country to make it to your place. It will transit through either St-Laurent or Mississauga. Usually, within 5-8 days my order is home; as where I've seen 2- 3 weeks and + with SP.
I'm going to try 4noggins next time. I'll see if that makes a difference.

Konrad_von_Marburg":l4992v2k said:
Ok all this is an update.

I have received all packages now. My most recent purchase (order place Jan 21) where I selected priority mail came first. The package contained 1 Brigham Heritage pipe, 5 Arturo Fuente cigars, 5 Oliva cigars, 1 50g tin of Dunhill Nightcap, and a pack of rock maple filtres. Cost of this order was 187.47 USD. I was not dinged with any duties.

Last Friday I got my second most recent purchase (placed order on Jan 14th) which included an Erik Nording Dublin Sitter, and a pack of 40 B.J. Long Pipe cleaners. Order total $95.92 This order was sent with the cheapest shipping option and I was dinged $40.06 CDN for duties and handling. I had to go to the post office to pay this to pick up my package.

Today I got a notice saying that my earliest package has arrived (placed order on Jan 13th) which included 1 Missouri Meerschaum, 2oz tin G.L. Pease Gaslight, 2 oz Lane 1-Q, and 2 oz Lane RLP-6. Order total was $32.69 and this order was dinged by customs who want me to pay $58.69 yo pick up this package.

This is insane and I don't know if I should pay for this last package or just say screw it and forget about it even though that would mean I would lose the 32.69 USD I paid for it because smokingpipes.com won't reimburse tobacco orders.
As a fellow Canuck piper, all I can say is welcome to the funhouse!

Yeah, duty and taxes suck, but ya pays your money and takes your chances on the big wheel of tobacco importing. :affraid: :affraid: