Ordered new sun glasses...amazing!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I often order via Amazon and always after looking over all the reviews...taking lots of ‘em with a grain of salt.  But at least it gives SOME indication of buyer satisfaction.

I recently had cataract surgery (replaced both lenses) so now I have 20-15 vision.  I used to use either corrective shades...or the clip over things.  But now I needed new “regular” sunglasses.  So off to Amazon I go.  OMG!  The last pair of Ray Bans I bought were well under a hundred bucks.  Now they’re over $300!!!  Nope.  Not doin’ that.  So the research began...

Ended up with two polarized glasses.  Both BNUS branded out of Italy.  All Corning Glass with the colors and coatings sandwiched inside the glass so it can’t scratch.  Good reviews.  

Got the two below.  The Ruby Mirrored Wayfarer style was $62.  Got that one in already.  Fit great.  Stellar clarity with ZERO distortion.  The Aviator style glasses were found while digging around on the site.  Blue Mirror.  Leather wrapped ear piece things.  Clicked on ‘show lowest price for each color’ where they list them in order of low to high.  About $40 for non-polarized and $60 with all the bells and whistles.  One pair came up at $30.  A “used-like new” pair which is a returned, open box thing.  OK...for half price I’ll take a chance.  They’re returnable after all.

Anyway, these things have more coatings than my latest high end binoculars.  Pretty cool.  Happy camper. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Good info Zeno & Geoff...it always pays to be careful.  

Before I put $90 of my totally refundable money on the line I looked over Amazon plus four other sites including forums where long time members gave there 5 star reviews.

I especially liked the below comments from your link...

“Consumers can also eyeball reviews on their own for signs of deception. Khalifah says red flags include:
A one-day surge in five-star reviews
Broken grammar
Reviews from reviewers who post hundreds of reviews in one day
It's not only that companies are faking glowing reviews, but companies are hiring people or using bots to also post fake "bad" reviews for competitors. A sudden rash of 1-star reviews for a product could be a sign of sabotage, for instance.”

Not to hijack the thread further, but when I was first getting into podcasts, I remember this new caster talking about their previous work. One of their previous jobs was working for a huge firm to do public relations on the web for businesses. The main job in that process was to flood the internet with reviews. Every bit as disturbing [to me] was that this seemed normal/OK to these twenty-somethings. It wasn't a buyer beware type of thing. Or that it was a paying job and a person has to do what a person has to do. It was so normalized in their generation that it was part of being marketed 24/7. I'm not describing it well, but I can tell you that they had no shame in it being their job or insofar as being on the other side of it as a consumer. Not necessarily limited to pragmatism either. There was zero moral/ethical conundrum in this work for them. I don't know about you, but that scares me. It was disturbing to listen to them. And I also got the vibe that it was taught at some point in their college education in business school, which was another reason I think they thought it wasn't unethical.

I adore the cheap Walgreen sunglasses my wife call "Your Zsa Zsa Gabors", they border on masculine and feminine (like that means anything anymore) and are gigantic. Almost feels like I am wearing a motor cycle helmet. But here in Southern Louisiana, you got to wear eye protect and skin protection. Most of the time I leave the house looking like Lawrence of Arabia. The hell with the sun, I can't stand it.

Like a good cob, their price can't be beat (20)...

I totally agree. It IS scary. Don’t let ‘em near the red button!

It brings to mind a guest shot done by the delightful Alice Eve on the Craig Ferguson Show. He was quipping along and asked her if she was into drug use in her youth. Her answer warmed my heart. She replied, as cool as the cute cucumber she is...”No, I had parents.”

Think about it.

When I quit this mortal coil, as they say, the greatest pride I will be able to count is that my son has character. Yes, it IS rare.

(PS: go to uTube and search Alice Eve then watch her guest spots with Craig F. She is indeed delicious. And quick.)

Blackhorse":0g0eb4sz said:
It brings to mind a guest shot done by the delightful Alice Eve on the Craig Ferguson Show. He was quipping along and asked her if she was into drug use in her youth. Her answer warmed my heart. She replied, as cool as the cute cucumber she is...”No, I had parents.”
I don't see a clear line there between the two, but I certainly get your point.

She's in a new series (Belgravia) written by Julian Fellowes of Gosford Park, Downton Abbey, Doctor Thorne (adaptation), etc fame. Looking forward to it big time.

Blackhorse":71e31l1r said:
A clear line between the two...???
Drug use and character, or at least that is how I read your post.

Oh, and Alice Eve's father is playing a real SOB in the series The Discovery of Witches on BBC.

Sun glasses are a necessity out here in the desert, rarely any clouds so it is direct full force sun. Something about red tinted lenses that has always drawn my attention, may need to get a new set of lenses.

I tend to keep my sunglasses for two or three decades, so I don't mind paying a premium. I keep them so long, they come back in style, eventually (not that it matters....)
I used to be a Ray-Ban fan, but now it is hard to find a pair with wire-core temples (a must have) I did finally locate a pair of Wayfarers on Ebay, I'm getting prescription lens put in them. This will be my first pair of prescription sunglasses ever!
I have a pair of Ray-Ban Baloramas from the late 80's (Dirty Harry's sunglasses). I broke them (put a leash on them, not good for non-spring hinges). When I attmpeted to find another pair, I learned that vintage Ray-Bans are like vintage Dunhills. I had them repaired, but I'm careful with them now..
To keep them for more than a year or so, glass lens are also a requirement. Not many do glass any more. Ray-Ban (you have to look very hard to find a decent pair these days), Smith (no spring hinges or wire-core temples) offer glass. I bought a pair of Maui Jim's two years ago, that have all those features and they have been excellent.

The two Italian made BNUS sunglasses that I have are Corning Glass and the polarized coating and the colored mirror coatings are sandwiched between glass layers...so they can’t wear or scratch. Slick. They also have an anti reflective coating on the inside surface.

Blackhorse":btg44ldp said:
The two Italian made BNUS sunglasses that I have are Corning Glass and the polarized coating and the colored mirror coatings are sandwiched between glass layers...so they can’t wear or scratch.  Slick.  They also have an anti reflective coating on the inside surface.  
That sounds like a pretty good value.

Hermit":pklonlrq said:
I had my cataracts removed several years ago.
Now all of my sunglasses are safety glasses.
https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/sunglasses.html

So...just the glasses that are certified ANSI Z87+ are bona fide “safety glasses” which rules out most of what those guys sell. Almost every one I looked at had a disclaimer that it couldn’t qualify a safety wear cause it didn’t have that certification. But certainly a good selection of quality stuff.

Are only the polycarbonate glasses rated ANSI Z87+ ?