Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky Flakes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Shortly after this blend was discontinued, there was rumor that it would be picked up by another producer and released in bulk by another name. Does anyone have any word on if that ever occurred or not?

I have only one 100 gram tin left and I'm starting to panic. :lol!:

News to me... I just discovered this blend about a month ago. It was love at first puff. I still have most of my opened 100g tin. Perhaps there is another on the shelf at Pipes by George in Raleigh... I should go buy it ASAP!

-Andrew

Bill,

I recall someone posted on ASP about Stokkebye possibly developing a replacement but nothing was definite and the subject never came up again.

In the meantime, I suggest you check out Peter Heinrichs- Dark
Strong Flake. Everything I have researched about it shows that is it a very close blend to our beloved DSK. I know Mars carries it in the 200 gram tins: http://www.marscigars.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=509

I have yet to try it so I cannot vouch for it but it's better than the nothing we have so far.

adauria":le8dkluk said:
News to me... I just discovered this blend about a month ago. It was love at first puff. I still have most of my opened 100g tin. Perhaps there is another on the shelf at Pipes by George in Raleigh... I should go buy it ASAP!

-Andrew
Andrew,

No more DSK at Pipes by George........he, he, he....... :D

Larry had some the last time I was up at the Pipe & Pint in Greensboro. I bought a tin while I was up there also. I believe Larry had one tin left. I have been kicking myself for not getting it too. I only smoke it occasionally so what I have should last a while. It is good stuff!

Sorry Bill!

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the tip for the tin at Pipe n Pint. :twisted: If you would like, I'll pick it up for ya, and deliever at the show coming up. He may have a couple hidden away, I'll have to check on that.

Piperorsh":gg7k5nww said:
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the tip for the tin at Pipe n Pint. :twisted: If you would like, I'll pick it up for ya, and deliever at the show coming up. He may have a couple hidden away, I'll have to check on that.
You are a fine gentleman Jeff!

:silent: Shhhh!! Don't tell anyone.

Piperorsh":tcd288mw said:

Jeff,

All joking aside, If you happen to be in the P&P before the show I really would appreciate you picking up that last tin of DSK if Larry still has it. I don't think I will make it up there before the show.

What Larry has actually says Dark Kentucky. Same logo and everything but towards the end of manufacturing of DSK they dropped the word Strong from the label I believe in some marketing ploy to increase sales. It is the same tobacco just minus the Strong on the label.

Thanks,
Mark

Justpipes":mzk38i43 said:
Piperorsh":mzk38i43 said:

Jeff,

All joking aside, If you happen to be in the P&P before the show I really would appreciate you picking up that last tin of DSK if Larry still has it. I don't think I will make it up there before the show.

What Larry has actually says Dark Kentucky. Same logo and everything but towards the end of manufacturing of DSK they dropped the word Strong from the label I believe in some marketing ploy to increase sales. It is the same tobacco just minus the Strong on the label.

Thanks,
Mark
No problem Mark, happy to do it. I was looking thru my cellar the other night after reading the post, and thought I had on, bought back in 05, gonna have to sit on it some more now.

Thanks Jeff! I am looking forward to seeing you and everyone at the show. I haven't asked Jim Swindell if Larry is going to have a table this year. I will see him Tuesday and find out. I talked to Jim this past Wednesday night and it is looking like 35 or so tables. I am trying to get Pete Patel to take 2-3 tables and hopefully he will.

I feel very lucky to have 2 tins of the "Strong" version. I would like to get a few more LOL. I will open one on a special ocassion, They are 3 years old or more. I'll have to dig them out and check to make sure. I do enjoy DSK :cyclops: :cheers: :sunny:

I received a tin from CP as a gift and I haven't had the heart to open it up yet. Keep saying I'll do it for a special occasion but I may just have to rush that up a bit. It sounds great.

I have one tin left and 2 of Bohemian Scandal, plus some others that are difficult to get or that I want to sell. All of these are aged over 3 years. Contact me if interested and buy enough to make the shipping worth it.

On this topic... Can anyone recommend any tobacco that is similar to this one? I mean, most other burley type tobacco I've seen is either drugstore style (PA, Carter Hall - both fine in their own right), sweetened / mildly aromatic burley (x90), or similar. I've never seen anything quite like DSK.... Any good suggestions?

-Andrew

adauria":557mcm1q said:
On this topic... Can anyone recommend any tobacco that is similar to this one? I mean, most other burley type tobacco I've seen is either drugstore style (PA, Carter Hall - both fine in their own right), sweetened / mildly aromatic burley (x90), or similar. I've never seen anything quite like DSK.... Any good suggestions?

-Andrew
Heinrichs Dark Strong is an excellent equivalent. I haven't opened DSK and Heinrichs Dark Strong at the same time, but someone did and posted (in Smokers Forum if I recall) that the tobaccos are not merely similar, but identical.

Jack

howellhandmade":ra4a5if7 said:
adauria":ra4a5if7 said:

-Andrew
Heinrichs Dark Strong is an excellent equivalent. I haven't opened DSK and Heinrichs Dark Strong at the same time, but someone did and posted (in Smokers Forum if I recall) that the tobaccos are not merely similar, but identical.

Jack
That is good to know. Is Heinrick Dark Strong a flake?

Good info, thank you! Hopefully the identical nature doesn't mean the death of one = the death of the other.

-Andrew

Justpipes":wrgbj320 said:
howellhandmade":wrgbj320 said:
adauria":wrgbj320 said:

-Andrew

Jack
That is good to know. Is Heinrick Dark Strong a flake?
Yes, it's a flake. Heinrichs also has a very good curly cut.

Jack

Morn' All, I wrote a small critique on Heinrich CC vs. G&H's CC, Ken.
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: :pirat: