Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky vs Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong F

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huffelpuff

Reaction score
My tins of Orlik arrived today. On first opening the casing seemed a bit heavier. It smells pretty close to the the PH to me just more of it. When I opened the tin the second time to load my pipe however all I could smell was the distinct odor of fresh cut hay. I rubbed out 2 flakes and loaded my Medico Gold Crest bent Bulldog. Looking at the flakes I see no difference at all other than the Orlik is completely intact as opposed to essentially a broken flake in the PH. The Va band looks exactly like the Va band in PH. Nice solid medium Va is what I see and taste. More bright citrus and a ton of grassy hay than the deep bready notes I expect from Red. To me the Orlik is just a tiny bit richer. If you loaded my pipe with either one and didn't tell me which it was I honestly don't think I could tell you. For me the PH is the better deal and where my money will be going.

Oh and it gets the wife's seal of approval too. She says it smells good in the tin and she likes the way it smells as I smoke it.

Jim

Nice Intel Jim, I've been sitting on a tin of the Orlik version for some time now, never got around to it. If there's any of the PH version I'll have to snag a tub of it. For the now. :)

I’m in the same boat as Ozark. Got a tin, haven’t opened it yet. I typically like to have an extra tin on hand before I open something new. Just one of my weird quirks. (Not so weird now that before long it’ll be impossible to get any tobacco). But thanks for the info on it!

Zach

The DSK is a staple for me. There is always an open tin in my rotation. I have a big 200g PH stashed away but I'm just gonna sit on it for a while. I've always felt that the differences between the two might in my imagination, but enough seem to feel them differently that they're prolly right. I might have to go ahead and do the back-to-back comparison myself.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I have 3 more of the big PH tins coming tomorrow. Its not in the same class as Blackwoods but I can see this being an everyday smoke for me.

Jim

Can anyone comment on how these two compare to MacBaren's HH Old Dark Fired?  I suppose ODF differs by the addition of burley of course.

LFOD":ilnefmpb said:
Can anyone comment on how these two compare to MacBaren's HH Old Dark Fired?  I suppose ODF differs by the addition of burley of course.
Completely different flavor profiles. ODF has no toppings, a lot more spice, is much less sweeter, is woodier with some dryness mixed with the sweetness. The Virginias are in the background.

Yup, ODF while a favorite here is not an all day everyday smoke for me. ODF is rather dry and fairly smokey.

Jim

Totally agree with Old Dark Fired not tasting anything like Orlik Dark Strong. I will say that 2012 ODF is sweeter and less smokey the more it ages. I find the Virginia's in it are getting sweeter with more fig and raisin type flavors to it. I love the aged version of ODF and smoke it on a regular basis.

I have been aging my Orlik DSK as it will benefit greatly the longer it ages. I will crack a tin once it hits 5 years to see how it is doing.

I've got both of these hiding in my cellar. Will need to pop the top on the 8oz PH soon!