OTC Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I just placed an order for a tin of Sugar Barrel from JR's. From what I have read, it's a pretty decent burley smoke. Of course, in order to complete a minimum order requirement, a tin of C&D Easy Times was added.

I'm eager to try both of them.

I have never tried Sugar Barrel Bill. It has gotten some positive reviews on tobaccoreviews.com.

I will be anxious to here your thoughts on the blend.

Bill, would you mind explaining "OTC" to me. This is a relatively new acronym for me, instead of "drug store" when referring to this genre of tobacco.

It seens like a new buzz thing but the only thing that I can associate it with is "over the counter". That just doesn't make sense to me. That would lend itself to one having to have a prescription to purchase "high grade" tobacco......... :lol:

JP, many use OTC to differentiate those tobaccos which were, and some still are, readily available from a number of sources, like drugstores, supermarkets, shop n'gos, rather than the renamed and over-priced blends from B&Ms.. The term is a little more descriptive, I think, than 'drugstore' tobaccos. Some smokers would use 'drugstore' tobaccos as a derogatory comment. However, I know that this august company would never do that :D

morleysson":4efiqk8m said:
JP, many use OTC to differentiate those tobaccos which were, and some still are, readily available from a number of sources, like drugstores, supermarkets, shop n'gos, rather than the renamed and over-priced blends from B&Ms.. The term is a little more descriptive, I think, than 'drugstore' tobaccos. Some smokers would use 'drugstore' tobaccos as a derogatory comment. However, I know that this august company would never do that :D
Thanks for the explanation Bob and I agree. I don't see "drug store" as negative. I think it is a shame that tobaccos and smoking implements are not readily available in such places to the extent that they used to be. In our State history museum, here in Raleigh, NC there is a full scale replica of an early 20th century drug store complete with a tobacconist section that has all kinds of neat stuff in it. Pipes, tobacco blends, snuff, cigars, etc..