Ouch, my ass hurts.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I know is that I hate Doctors. Hehe. And walking keeps me out of their offices.

pretty sure people get hurt running because of shoes. our feet are natural leaf springs (hence the arch). that's why cycling shoes are very stiff and should have high arches so your foot doesn't collapse and spring back, causeing knee tracking issues, loss of power, a bunch of bad stuff. i like to run. i shouldn't. i have issues with my legs being different lengths and one foot canted out due to tibular torsion (or some such jargon) and i'm "seasonably plump" but i like it. still like riding a bike more. i walk a fair bit. i live in a town that is very walkable and i walk my dog about a mile or so every night with the fiance (weather permitting).

that being said for exercise i'd rather be riding my bike. especially off road, especially with a group of friends.

I walk/hike for work, most of the time. It's a different locomotion and stamina that ought to be kept up, so, another minus on the pedal-power for me. Living an urban lifestyle in the outback ain't easy, but the opposite is a bit more achievable. "Bike To Work Day" would be a little difficult for me to accomplish. :lol:

SDJ, yep, already been to the bike store, already drooled over the bikes and been bending the ear of a couple sales guys there. I actually had it in my head that I'd get the Allez Compact (voted 2012 best bike under $1000) but then I was shown how the Secteur rides higher in front (less attack, more comfortable), has the carbon zerts in the rear, and is engineered to absorb more shock than the stiffer racing frame on the Allez, I think it's the bike to get if I can swing it this summer (translation, will I work enough overtime to afford it). The guy at the bike shop already gave me a couple free rental coupons so I can try before I buy.

Fact remains though, I'll have to make do with this for a while. I am grateful for it, without it I'd be walking like Kyle :lol: . I just hope to make it comfortable enough to enjoy for a while.

Bicycling is great but expensive. It's easy to spend a great deal of money. Bicycles are a relatively uncomplicated machine and can be understood from the ground up. If you study them you will understand why certain frames and components are better/best. The top grades are the lightest and the best performers.

I'm not hearing anyone talk about optimal frame size and seat tensility, for lack of a better word, and sizing the frame/selecting the seat to maximize pedaling thrust. To put it succinctly, most run-of-the mill bicycles are too small. There is a simple formula that determines the needed frame size. The URL below has a good discussion.

http://www.bicyclesource.com/frame_size

The output of the pumping action of the legs is maximized by the correct size frame. High thigh pumping wastes a lot of energy, as does a padded saddle. Think of each cycle of a leg as wasting the least amount of energy, which is lost by an incorrect frame size or soft saddle. You want all possible energy directed into turning the axle. I was able to ride 35 miles in a day without making it impossible to sit down with the austere Brooks Professional. It's not pleasant but you can train your posterior to sit in the saddle. Of course if you find that training harsh without improvement, then you'll have to make your own adjustments.

Toe clips are also essential. You want to push the pedals down and pull them up. The correct angle of the foot throughout one revolution is described by the term "ankling."

I thought this would be easy to say, but it is not.

Surprised pb hasn't chimed in by now. That title is begging for it. :twisted:

For some reason I thought this was a follow-up to the "Check your six" thread. :clown:

SWIM! Easier on the WHOLE body. EXCELLENT cardio and tones ALL muscles and feels good :p Been swimming three times a week for the last 10 years and it works !

Buy an indoor stationary bike with a screen display and programs that allow you to race with yourself or the programs. You can do it when weather is lousy, in any season, at night, while you're watching teevee or drunking a beer, in your PJs, and you'll never get bitten by a dog or run over by some texting idiot in an SUV.

When the weather is good, you can go for a nice stroll.

A stationary bike has many faults and only some virtues.

Boring boring boring- you are not entertained by the ambient environment, temperature, wind, the smell of the fresh air, not to mention the flow of the terrain and the structures on it. This substance and variety will help you exercise again when the benefits of the bike wax and wane.

If you put time and a reasonable amount of money into the bike you purchase, it will be a joy to ride. A light and flexible alloy frame will make you think you are riding a thoroughbred. The technology used in mid to high-grade pipes has changed greatly over the last 40 years, especially wheels-tires and rims-and derailleur and brake shifters/handles. All the control mechanisms are available to you on the handlebars. Today's multi-gear pipes are safer and easier to handle.

By comparison a stationary bike is just a lunk in front of a tv.

I agree. A stationary bike is just another excuse to stay indoors. Another couch, albeit shaped differently. Shun the gym. Embrace your feet. They know whar to do. Follow your feet!

But I think all cardio exercise is boring. The single biggest minus about real bikes on real roads (and it's a total deal breaker for me) is very large vehicles, many produced with built-in blind spots, driven by monkeys.

Full disclosure: I had an uncle who survived a couple of wars but, while riding his bike on a street in Texas, was struck, killed and left by the side of the road by a hit-and-run "driver." For me, bikes give insufficient protection to the rider in a very hostile environment.

Trail bikers encounter fewer large metal objects but, in that venue, I'll use my hiking boots.

On an indoor bike you may not see much scenery, but you don't have to be constantly watchful for whatever might be bearing down on you. I just turn it on, pick a program, get my HR up to 80 per of max, hold it there for forty minutes, and I'm on to the Next Big Thing for the day.

To each his own.

But you're outgunned, so keep your eyes peeled, for crissake.

Was biking to work a few years ago and this corvette was waiting to merge in traffic from a bar parking lot. I stopped short right in front of them and waved. Couldn't see inside cause of the tint, waited about 30 seconds and started to go. Well thank god for big stupid mufflers , I heard the rev and sprung forward. They caught the rear tire and knocked the bike from under me. I landed on my feet and started stringing profanity before I hit the ground. They stopped saw me hopping up and down then burned rubber. Bike was fine but I was shaking mad. Ass hats. :p

alfredo_buscatti":vej5s4zf said:
A stationary bike has many faults and only some virtues.

Boring boring boring- you are not entertained by the ambient environment, temperature, wind, the smell of the fresh air, not to mention the flow of the terrain and the structures on it. This substance and variety will help you exercise again when the benefits of the bike wax and wane.

If you put time and a reasonable amount of money into the bike you purchase, it will be a joy to ride. A light and flexible alloy frame will make you think you are riding a thoroughbred. The technology used in mid to high-grade pipes has changed greatly over the last 40 years, especially wheels-tires and rims-and derailleur and brake shifters/handles. All the control mechanisms are available to you on the handlebars. Today's multi-gear pipes are safer and easier to handle.

By comparison a stationary bike is just a lunk in front of a tv.
i like how you said pipes instead of bikes and it took this long for someone to notice. one track minds around here :lol:

i have an allez right now, and i had the sectuer. the allez is a little lighter but way more aggressive. it's a race bike. the sectuer is for riding ALL DAY! definitely ride one. let me know if i can help you out at all. it sounds like you have a great bike shop, though. i've been working in the bike industry for just under ten years, and i'm a little biased towards Specialized, but i'm here if you need any more info!

Swapped the MDS seat out for a cheapo Schwinn gel padded comfort seat with cut out, made a world of difference. Rode an hour earlier today, wonderful.

It's still a cheap beater of a bike, and a bit too small (raising the bars helped), but at least it's comfortable to ride. By mid summer I'll know exactly what I need, what kind of riding I prefer, what my body can handle.

Hope it's a good summer for overtime, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be the Secteur :twisted:

Got out today before the rain hit (California in March, it's 72 degrees outside and raining right now) and put in a 12 mile ride around Lake Natoma. Took me 1 hour 20 minutes. For an old fart on a cheapo second hand mountain bike on his fourth ride since the Reagan administration, I'll take it as a victory. Made it all the way around, over little hills that were pretty small but felt pretty big, and had a litle left in the tank when I was done. Not as bad as I has feared :) The seat did it's job. It's not perfect, but my ass no longer hurts :cheers:

Puff Daddy":4jgvuozj said:
Got out today before the rain hit (California in March, it's 72 degrees outside and raining right now) and put in a 12 mile ride around Lake Natoma. Took me 1 hour 20 minutes. For an old fart on a cheapo second hand mountain bike on his fourth ride since the Reagan administration, I'll take it as a victory. Made it all the way around, over little hills that were pretty small but felt pretty big, and had a litle left in the tank when I was done. Not as bad as I has feared :) The seat did it's job. It's not perfect, but my ass no longer hurts :cheers:
I love a happy end-ing.