OUCH......!!!!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donk93953

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Fly fishing today on the River Tweed near Waverly Castle.
My fishing pipe in my mouth...puffing at a gentle pace...a strike...not huge, but someone who was serious about a meal....worked him for a good 5 minutes and his few jumps showed himself to be a nice brown....as I reeled him in close, I reached for my net...he was tired...or so I thought..one more dash away and my pipe fell from my mouth into the clear water....It wasn't more than 6-8 inches deep....marked the spot visually and brought in the fish for admiration..a solid 12"...gave him a pet, removed the fly, abit of movement in the river, to get the water in his gills and sent him on his way...I turned to locate my baptized pipe....
First step....I knew it wasn't the pebbles beneath me.
The evidence is attached....1971 Dunhill Dublin...bought it new and it has been my fishing pipe since its first day..its been to Chile, New Zealand, Argentina, Ireland, Scotland, USA (does Alaska count?) on and on...a nice size bowl..its marked as a "5" but its more of a "4"...the weight is nice and used to hold well in my mouth.
No tears...I'm having a whiskey and trying to figure if I should send it to Dunhill...but my last repair from them almost 10 years ago was horrible.
Sending it back for a "do-over" and dealing with sales staff at the Dunhill shop in London is an act of futility.
They know nothing about pipes, but they can make a great Latte!....

Attachments

• Sept 6, 2022 Tweed.jpg
    Sept 6, 2022 Tweed.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 3
  • thumbnail_IMG_1912.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1912.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_IMG_1911.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1911.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 0
Doesn't look like it would be difficult to repair at home with Elmer's wood glue and a clamp. A paid professional isn't going to be doing anything much differently. I have a Dunhill held together in two places with Elmer's, and it remains a great smoking pipe.

Who cares what the repair will look like, it's a fishing pipe that has your memories attached to it. Take a small drill bit a tad bigger than the size of a paperclip to pin the shank back together on each side of the shank. Wrap electrical tape around the drill bit and drill the holes for pinning on each side by simply working the drillbit back and forth with your fingers for control. Glue pins in and glue shanks together. Sand paper excess glue if needed. A black superglue is on the market and can be orderded on the internet that you can apply to mask the crack and make it look like a sandblasted area.

Don't know if you have it available there but JBWeld makes an epoxy that sets in 5 minutes and cures completely in 5 hours. I'm sure it would hold the shank together.

I would definitely have that repaired. I cannot afford a dunhill but aside from what it is, the memories made with that pipe must be even more important than the value of the pipe. Even if the repair is a bit imperfect it will just be one more memory with it.

Fly fishing today on the River Tweed near Waverly Castle.
My fishing pipe in my mouth...puffing at a gentle pace...a strike...not huge, but someone who was serious about a meal....worked him for a good 5 minutes and his few jumps showed himself to be a nice brown....as I reeled him in close, I reached for my net...he was tired...or so I thought..one more dash away and my pipe fell from my mouth into the clear water....It wasn't more than 6-8 inches deep....marked the spot visually and brought in the fish for admiration..a solid 12"...gave him a pet, removed the fly, abit of movement in the river, to get the water in his gills and sent him on his way...I turned to locate my baptized pipe....
First step....I knew it wasn't the pebbles beneath me.
The evidence is attached....1971 Dunhill Dublin...bought it new and it has been my fishing pipe since its first day..its been to Chile, New Zealand, Argentina, Ireland, Scotland, USA (does Alaska count?) on and on...a nice size bowl..its marked as a "5" but its more of a "4"...the weight is nice and used to hold well in my mouth.
No tears...I'm having a whiskey and trying to figure if I should send it to Dunhill...but my last repair from them almost 10 years ago was horrible.
Sending it back for a "do-over" and dealing with sales staff at the Dunhill shop in London is an act of futility.
They know nothing about pipes, but they can make a great Latte!....
I tried doing both at the same time once tripped and almost broke a cane rod now I just take break and enjoy the view
1665517632460.jpeg

Oh man that’s a bummer. I hope you can glue it to together and use it again. That’s my holy grail pipe.

A bit of sticky tape will see that right. ;)

Sorry about your loss but you should get it professionally repaired, likely for less than the cost of the pipe and it should do you for many more fishing trips.