Ouestion about my L'Anatra

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch

Reaction score
I bought this pipe awhile back and I can't find one like it anywhere online. Does anyone know what model L'Anatra it is. It came in a pipe sock, but without a box.

DSC00068.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

DSC00070.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

Well, I'm by no means an expert, but it's been my experience that trying to find a pipe "just like" another one is not that easy, particularly with certain brands, and especially with unusual, or artistic shapes. That L'Anatra is very cool!

Thanks Chris, yeah I understand what you mean. My local tobacconist has some pipes that have been on the shelf for so long that the current MSRP is 1/3 higher than his asking prices. I'd really like to know how old this pipe is because of that. I figure that since L'Anatra is out of business now, these pipes may bring some bucks one day.

Dutch":b2nt481n said:
Thanks Chris, yeah I understand what you mean. My local tobacconist has some pipes that have been on the shelf for so long that the current MSRP is 1/3 higher than his asking prices. I'd really like to know how old this pipe is because of that. I figure that since L'Anatra is out of business now, these pipes may bring some bucks one day.
Did I miss something? :affraid:
When did L'Anatra go under? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

DoverPipes":jnwvzuvb said:
Dutch":jnwvzuvb said:
Did I miss something? :affraid:
When did L'Anatra go under? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Before I comment I would like to know the same thing????????????
Some of these pipes especially Italian Boutiques are once off carves!!!........ i think! or variations thereof!
Either way, that is a stunner and very collectible indeed!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I could have got some bad intel, but my local tobacconist told me when he sold it that the guy who made it had passed away a couple years ago, but that his family still had possession of the companys left over stock. I'll ask him again next time I go in to his shop and ask who the guy was who died.

As far as I can tell, L'Anatra doesn 't have standard pipe shape or series numbers. Several years ago I bought a similar designed pipe from smokingpipes.com but with a "Dublin" shaped bowl. Dublin sitter You might try contacting smokingpipes to see if they have one in storage or can have one made for you.

Good luck,
Jim

Ol'Dawg":lyshssjt said:
As far as I can tell, L'Anatra doesn 't have standard pipe shape or series numbers. Several years ago I bought a similar designed pipe from smokingpipes.com but with a "Dublin" shaped bowl. Dublin sitter You might try contacting smokingpipes to see if they have one in storage or can have one made for you.

Good luck,
Jim
Thanks Jim, you just confirmed what I was thinking, :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I knew about one-offs but this pipe was marked $140 and he let me have it for $100 plus tax so I just assumed it must be a standard issue. I drop in every Thursday afternoon, so I will quiz him some more and find out what I can. The shop will celebrate it's 50th anniversary next year, and he told me that he has over 300 pipes in his personal collection at home, so I'm assuming he's well informed. He's a really nice down to earth guy, doesn't come across as a bullshitter. I've really enjoyed doing business with him.

I'll let you guys know later in the week, thanks so much for all the feedback! :)

Resale values on L'Anatra pipes have never been especially stellar and the write-up about the makers at smokingpipes.com (which regularly features new L'anatra pipes) makes no mention of the passing away of any member of the team that makes the pipes.

They also have a grading guide for the pipes at this link:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/lanatra/index.cfm

Rusticated pipes, like yours, are not graded.

That L'Anatra page at SmokingPipes is making me drool, but I have way too many pipes to buy more. If I were going to resume collecting, I'd certainly add more of this brand. Here's my sitter, which is a good clencher too.

Steve

lanatra_2-egg.jpg

I don't have any of them so can't help at all. Just wanted to say they look great!

Skip

Sorry it took me over a week to get back on this but I got a little under the weather and didn't make my weekly visit to the local pipe shop last week.

What the owner of the shop told me yesterday was that a couple years ago the pipe maker at L'Anatra that passed away was named Tomas Cristiano. I believe I spelled that correctly. He said that his L'Anatra rep told him that the Cristiano family has kept the company open but that they aren't currently producing any new pipes and that they are selling down the existing inventory. He said because of the current situation, the future of the company is "iffy." Whatever "iffy" means.

Whether all this is true or not, I have no idea.

Oh and btw my apologies for assuming the company was out of business since the pipemaker had passed away. I've said dumber things in the past and expect I will again in the future. :)

Well, curiosity got the best of me, so I started digging around on the net to find out what I could about L'Anatra. Massimo Palazzi and Andrea Pascucci make the L'Anatras in Northern Italy, but I couldn't find any info linking the company with Tomas Cristiano who was an American pipemaker who passed away in 2005.

This week I ran this info past my local tobacconist who was really confused about it, and told me that he had gotten his info from his pipe rep he buys L'Anatra from. It seemed to bother him, and he asked one of his employees who has been a collecter for years, but he had no info to clarify anything.

Maybe his pipe rep needs to spend a little time browsing Pipedia! :lol: