Out there pipes, what do you all think

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the rev

Reaction score
So, anyone else drawn to the pipes of Wallenstein? Tarrock Briar? Revyagin? some of Nate King's steam and gear punk stuff? D.M. pipes? Abi Natur?

As I am progressing in my pipe making I am hearing from a number of people that I need to practice the traditional shapes, that I need to do my training on them. That I need to make 25 billiards, and 25 bulldogs ECT. Maybe that is the way to go, but man, I am totally drawn to these crazy out of the box designs.

For me I am more about the art of pipe making than the craftsmanship of it. Now, I understand that it is the craftsmanship that creates practical pipes. I have no interest in making non functional wooden sculptures. But when you get past putting and air hole and a tobacco chamber... I want to go where I like.

And to be honest... I kinda prefer to smoke "exotic" looking pipes too, but then I have always been an attention whore :)

rev

I appreciate those pipes from an artistic perspective and I admire the craftsmanship that goes into them, but beyond that, they don't do it for me. I wouldn't want to own one.

I would much prefer this:

P1140856.jpg

to this:

P1160064-2-e1345735584189.jpg

I'm with Dave in Philly in spirit. I'm really attracted to the complexity of the discipline of a classically turned pipe. It's hard for a carver to make a classic with the grain showing just right, for example, and nothing as easy as "free hand." There are funky things I'd smoke for sure, and I'd delight to own and smoke several in the ones you've pictured, but usually, having a pipe around people, no matter the pipe's funkiness, a pipe just looks funky to the other folks. If I were smoking a funky lobster around others I'd be internally worried that I would look like I'm "trying too hard." (This worrying internally about looking like I'm trying too hard is my own deal and not one I suggest is true of anyone who goes for a funky pipe--make not mistake, I self indict here, no one else. Also I don't need anyone's comments to get over it. I get over things, don't need forum encouragement.) Heck, even with my canadians I probably look like I'm trying to hard.

But more to the point, for me and my tastes I find I can look longer, study the pipe making more deeply, and be more fascinated generally, by a classic pipe. By seeing the variations that happen in the classics, well, I get happy, and see each billiard as new and approaching more or less an archtypal perfection in my mental conception of what a billiard should be. So for me and my aesthetic, I don't need or crave out there pipes although I sure love looking at them on this forum.

For me, the beauty of classic shapes is that form follows function. The two concepts are inextricably tied together to create something that is not only beautiful, but performs its job extremely well.

When we get into crazy designs, the likes of Wallenstein and Tarrock, function takes a backseat to form. Aesthetics dominates the composition and we see the pipe become more of a piece of sculptural art rather than an instrument for the efficient smoking of tobacco.

There are, however, exceptions to this framework. Consider for a moment the great two chambered double calabash pipes, whose odd appearance revolves around its function, or even some of Wallenstein's pipes that are designed to cradle easily in the teeth of the smoker.

Just my two cents, so take it with a grain of salt.

I'm another one for the classic shape pipes, but then again, considering my user name, you probably already knew that. :lol:

Dave_In_Philly":sku1slaw said:
I appreciate those pipes from an artistic perspective and I admire the craftsmanship that goes into them, but beyond that, they don't do it for me. I wouldn't want to own one.

I would much prefer this:

P1140856.jpg

to this:

P1160064-2-e1345735584189.jpg
I conccur 100 % :cheers:

*shrug* I like weird pipes. Art and pipes can sometimes go together. I, however, would rather smoke a pipe AND look at one, and if they cannot perform at least their foundational, intended purpose well, they're just art. Which is fine. When I have more money than sense, fair game. Otherwise, the pictures make awesome wallpaper for phone/computer.

8)

Of the makers you mentioned I found a bunch of the first one at Cup O' Joe's...couldn't find anything on the second at all and came up with the Russian guy easily via google. Re: making pipes like that...you have to be a master to make them look both intentional and cool. For me, the master at this genre is easily Downey. In addition to making superb classic shapes, he does the in between things like his copper series, etc. and the monster pipes he does are without peer.

http://www.downiepipes.com/commissions.html

I appreciate them all. The stuff I like to make is more like the latter of those two photos posted. However, I've got to say that the hardest pipe I've attempted to make so far was that billiard. Classics are very hard to do well. Most of my personal pipes are danish renditions of a classic shape.

Blackhorse":0quixfat said:
Of the makers you mentioned I found a bunch of the first one at Cup O' Joe's...couldn't find anything on the second at all and came up with the Russian guy easily via google. Re: making pipes like that...you have to be a master to make them look both intentional and cool. For me, the master at this genre is easily Downey. In addition to making superb classic shapes, he does the in between things like his copper series, etc. and the monster pipes he does are without peer.

WOW! Those are some incredible pipes! I saw several that I would love to own.

I really appreciate the artistry that goes into the "out there" pipes. I've had a few and I enjoy smoking them as well. I prefer the bulldogs and pokers (or whatever they are called!) and such for most smoking though. The others become real conversation starters. Of course, smoking a pipe in public is a real conversation starter itself.

Simple Man":urxjb1tu said:
Blackhorse":urxjb1tu said:

WOW! Those are some incredible pipes! I saw several that I would love to own.
I would add my wow to those as well

rev

The kids, they love the links, though, they do.

"Nautilus" was probably the first one that made me go, "...holy eff...that's neat." There's a guy on the "Under 40 Pipe Club" on Facebook that purchased it, I guess...said it wasn't hard at all to keep clean, the little windows, and such. Said it smoked nicely, too. *shrug*

8)

Yeah, I will never be able to afford any of those pipes, but I can admire them :)

rev

The most "out there" pipe I would consider owning is a Larrysson tree bark sitter. I doubt I would smoke it, if I did own one. I'd set it on my desk and stare at it.

Kyle Weiss":welqrql0 said:
The kids, they love the links, though, they do. 8)
Yes we do! :lol:

gravel":welqrql0 said:
The most "out there" pipe I would consider owning is a Larrysson tree bark sitter. I doubt I would smoke it, if I did own one. I'd set it on my desk and stare at it.
I never really looked at Larrysson pipes. Those are some real beauties, there! You guys are making my want list long! :lol: