Over-the-air TV channels.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Reaction score
Just an FYI for you other tight-wads out there.

I re-scanned the TV last night looking for new channels. New ones show up pretty often and some go away occasionally. We're up to 63 channels now. The commercials annoy me but as long as the mute button on the remote works I'm okay.

I'm a bit excited to learn more about the Movies! channel. Good/great old movies. I'm excited.

I caught some Rowan and Martin Laugh-In this morning on another channel that was added last night. And there's a channel with some TV series.

With Winter approaching and new recliner/rockers in the TV room I think I'm all set.

As long as I'm already paying for those channels by buying any products advertised on TV I may as well watch them.

Last edited:
Very happy for you DW. Maybe 7 years ago I pulled the plug on my ATT satellite tv. For me the cost just went to high for it. Bought a indoor power antena for over the air tv and radio.

Then added a Playstation 3 since it could play Blue Ray movies for the same cost as a blue ray player($300.00). I went ahead and signed up for Netflix and Hulu for 10 dollars a month at that time.

When we moved to the country the plan was to buy a DVD or two every month to build a collection of movies to watch. We've been here nearly 16 years and I don't think we've bought more than half a dozen DVD's.

When the kids were all living with us up in town I don't even want to think about how much we spent on cable TV. Ridiculous.

Last edited:
Cable is a nuisance now. The prices are insane. They're losing market, so the obvious answer is to jack all the prices. I use a standard definition digital box on an old tube TV I use when I ride the exercise bike (basically just watch the news or PBS), and it was $3.99/month just 18 months ago. It's now $17/month. I have a sense we'll end up going the new standard route with high speed internet and streaming. Up to now, avoiding it because the decision on which streaming services to get is overwhelming and also a layer of hassle.

what hardware do you use for over the air TV? Several years ago, when the govt was giving away digital antenna vouchers, we got the allotted two, but I haven't found they work very well.

We use a plain, old analog antenna (we bought it during the pre-digital era) in the attic. It's like something from Radio Shack. The wiring runs to a splitter in the basement. We've had 5 TV's running off of it. Works great!

If you are near the broadcast antennas slap a set of rabbit ears on your TV and scan for channels. We are quite a distance away from the broadcast towers.

Digital antennas are a scam. The digital signal is processed in the TV, not the antenna.

https://longrangesignal.com/what-frequency-is-digital-tv-broadcast-on/

Last edited: