OZONE GENERATOR

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
I've been researching and thinking about getting a ozone generator, why? because unlike a lot of you I am blessed or cursed with a good nose. For the last 45 years I've never liked the smell that smoking leaves. Right now with the collection of pipes I have I constantly smell a dirty ashtray even though I wipe and clean each one before setting it back in the rack. When my door is closed at night I wake up to a horrid thick smell of it. Anyway, here's the point of the post, from what I've read a ozone generator is the best at Eliminating odors and one certain business even states they use one to clean the ghosts out of pipes. But knowing that ozone attacks plastic what are the affects of it going to be a Ebonite/Vulcanite/Rubber and Acrylic stem and such? Does the business that uses this method take the stems off before exposing it? Or does it only affect plastics when using higher doses and or over time. Remembering that I will most likely have to use it every other day or so because of a few freshly smoked pipes enter each day.
Does anyone have any experience with a Ozone generator in there home or office or other places where pipes are kept? I thought about contacting the business that uses one to clean pipes but, I'm in doubt that they'd divulge to me any pertinent information.
Your thoughts please.

Cartaphilus":qv9yo4fn said:
I've been researching and thinking about getting a ozone generator, why? because unlike a lot of you I am blessed or cursed with a good nose. For the last 45 years I've never liked the smell that smoking leaves. Right now with the collection of pipes I have I constantly smell a dirty ashtray even though I wipe and clean each one before setting it back in the rack. When my door is closed at night I wake up to a horrid thick smell of it. Anyway, here's the point of the post, from what I've read a ozone generator is the best at Eliminating odors and one certain business even states they use one to clean the ghosts out of pipes. But knowing that ozone attacks plastic what are the affects of it going to be a Ebonite/Vulcanite/Rubber and Acrylic stem and such? Does the business that uses this method take the stems off before exposing it? Or does it only affect plastics when using higher doses and or over time. Remembering that I will most likely have to use it every other day or so because of a few freshly smoked pipes enter each day.
Does anyone have any experience with a Ozone generator in there home or office or other places where pipes are kept? I thought about contacting the business that uses one to clean pipes but, I'm in doubt that they'd divulge to me any pertinent information.
Your thoughts please.
Ron, I'd go ahead and call Mike Myers at Walker and ask your questions. All he can do is decline to answer but I'll bet he won't. Nothing ventured they say.

I can't think he'll believe you're attempting to steal trade secrets from him. He's already got more business than he can shake a stick at.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":9ftbnj9g said:
Cartaphilus":9ftbnj9g said:
Your thoughts please.
Ron, I'd go ahead and call Mike Myers at Walker and ask your questions. All he can do is decline to answer but I'll bet he won't. Nothing ventured they say.

I can't think he'll believe you're attempting to steal trade secrets from him. He's already got more business than he can shake a stick at.

Cheers,

RR
Well, I failed to mention he and I have a little history, nuff said.

Cartaphilus":fpacgrlk said:
Brewdude":fpacgrlk said:
Cartaphilus":fpacgrlk said:
Your thoughts please.

Cheers,

RR
Well, I failed to mention he and I have a little history, nuff said.
Ah. Didn't know that.........

None of by beeswax then.

Cheers,

RR

With as many items used in homes and offices of plastics of all varieties where these generators are intended for use, I would imagine there would be nothing adverse that should happen to the bits of your pipes. The amount of surface area in each bit should not be adversely effected I should think as if these machines did effect plastics adversely, they would not sell and be used at all. I wouldn't worry about it. JMHO  :twisted: :twisted: 

monbla256":v4rq1vv0 said:
With as many items used in homes and offices of plastics of all varieties where these generators are intended for use, I would imagine there would be nothing adverse that should happen to the bits of your pipes. The amount of surface area in each bit should not be adversely effected I should think as if these machines did effect plastics adversely, they would not sell and be used at all. I wouldn't worry about it. JMHO  :twisted: :twisted: 
Ah, but the machines are ONLY to be used in unoccupied rooms for as much as an hour (we're talking about the real ozone machines, not the ones with low output) and studies say that high levels of ozone can adversely affect some plastics and I would have to use this machine at least every other day to eliminate the smell from freshly smoked pipes. I've done my home work on reading up on these  but, there is no details on which plastics are affected and how. Technically Ebonite/Vulcanite/ Rubber are not plastics per say but, that doesn't mean that they can't be affected specially when we all know just a bit of sunlight and moisture can turn a Vulcanite stem as green as muck in just a little time.
This is why I'm asking if anyone is using one and if they've witnessed anything adversely happen to there pipes or anything else. I have too much money, work and time into my collection to have anything happen to it and to be cleaning over 300 stems every other day.

Ozone Machines

If stems are sealed with wax or similar, (I use a generic petroleum jelly), I fail to see how they could oxidise.

I don't like the smell of hotel rooms where they have used ozone generators.

Store the pipes in a room away from where you sleep. Install a weak exhaust fan in that room to create a low pressure zone.

Cart I have an ozone generator and was not aware of any effect on plastics. I've used it for years in the house, and also used it to zap ghosts out of old pipes, and never seen any problems.
Where I used to work, they had a really nice conference room with an ozone generator that constantly cycled off and on 24 hrs a day in the closed room. I never noticed any issue with the furniture or other things in the room, and it had all been there for years.
My only advice is spend the money to get a really good unit.

Had one running 24/7 for almost 10 years with no noticeable detrimental effects! I'd say if you're really concerned about it make a small enclosure box and just stick the used stummels in for a few days before rotating them out.

In a former life, I was a homeowner's insurance adjuster. We paid for outfits (like Servpro or Servicemaster) to mitigate smoke smell using ozone machines. Ozone will destroy plastic or rubber materials over time. We paid to have these items removed before using ozone. Coatings of vaseline or other protectors will work to prevent damage to items that cannot be removed from the building. Pets, including fish, and plants must be removed or they will die. Ozone also leaves a smell which I describe as a "electrical short" smell that will dissipate after a day or two.

Thanks guys, I've opted to get a good one although it's a bit expensive I think it'll pay for it's self in the end. It puts out enough ozone that they warn you NOT to be in the room while it operates and should only have to run about an hour and I'd probably only have to use it twice a week because of the reoccurring freshly smoked pipes. And they also told me that to have any ill affects to the stems or anything else it would have to run 24/7 for about 45 days. So hopefully next month I'll purchase it and we'll see if it does the trick.

flyguy":b66byf68 said:
In a former life, I was a homeowner's insurance adjuster.  We paid for outfits (like Servpro or Servicemaster) to mitigate smoke smell using ozone machines.  Ozone will destroy plastic or rubber materials over time.  We paid to have these items removed before using ozone.  Coatings of vaseline or other protectors will work to prevent damage to items that cannot be removed from the building.  Pets, including fish, and plants must be removed or they will die.  Ozone also leaves a smell which I describe as a "electrical short" smell that will dissipate after a day or two.
Interesting. Thanks for posting that flyguy.

Cheers,

RR

Just a note: we used large commercial ozone machines which pumped large amounts of ozone into the rooms (not the small ozone generators). Ozone (O3) is an oxidant and is caustic. We use it because ozone bonds or reacts to the carbon molecule (causing the smell) and turns it to carbon dioxide, eliminating the smell.
I remember when this technique was first used that many plastic/rubber items were ruined by this process before we wized-up. Of course, we had to pay for those items.
We also paid for a hotel room for our insureds for 2-3 days while this was going on.

flyguy":89zl5lop said:
Just a note: we used large commercial ozone machines which pumped large amounts of ozone into the rooms (not the small ozone generators).  Ozone (O3) is an oxidant and is caustic.  We use it because ozone bonds or reacts to the carbon molecule (causing the smell) and turns it to carbon dioxide, eliminating the smell.
I remember when this technique was first used that many plastic/rubber items were ruined by this process before we wized-up.  Of course, we had to pay for those items.
We also paid for a hotel room for our insureds for 2-3 days while this was going on.
I was assured that the machine wouldn't put out enough ozone to affect my stems or any other rubber/plastic in the room unless I ran the larger machine (which I was told I don't need) 24/7 for 45 straight days.
If I find it does they will get a letter from my attorney for all damages but, I'm sure it won't come to that. Here's part of the email I received from them.

I certainly understand your concern about ozone adversely affecting your pipe collection. Extremely high levels of ozone can cause discoloration or even deterioration of solid surfaces. The important distinction is that our machines do not produce what would be considered “extremely high levels” of ozone. In order to obtain such levels, our most powerful machine (the Villa 1000) would need to be run continuously for approximately 45 days. Our machines have been designed specifically to operate in unoccupied spaces at levels that are not harmful to solid surfaces but are still effectively able to remove odors.

Being that the source of your odor is going to continually replenish, you would want to run the machine whenever you feel that the odor is problematic. If you determine that you want to treat daily, you can do so without concern of the ozone negatively impacting your pipe collection. It is important to note that ozone will go anywhere that air can go, and while the room may be unoccupied, it could be possible for the ozone to move into other areas of the home. So if there are any air intakes or even a crack underneath the door, you would want to seal those off, preventing the ozone from exiting the room. Outside of the concern of ozone exiting the room, there would be no issue with treating daily.