P&C Doubles Prices of Esoterica Bags

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mind waiting (it's not like I am running out of tobacco LOL).

I always place an order large enough to get the free shipping and I like the fact that P&C does accept back orders for many if not most of their out of stock tobacco blends and then ships the B/O items when they're back in stock for free.

No other online vendor does that, to my knowledge.

As for P&C selling their 8 oz. Esoterica bags for $50, I treat that like I always do when shopping for pipe tobacco -- the vendor with the lowest price gets my business.

I agree with you, Roth. Btw, I notice they still have not sold out of one single Esoterica blend since they doubled the price.

JimInks":2vc6fv2s said:
.... I notice they still have not sold out of one single Esoterica blend since they doubled the price.
:shock: 
Well at that rate they will be selling a vintage supply of Esoterica
and then
d:pig: uble the already d:pig: ubled prices .....

My last visit to a B and M was in early December.

(I was out of Penzance... my favorite).

I spied the 8 oz bag... "Price?" I asked.

"$45.00" came the reply.

"Oh" I said... "you can keep it then".

I'm still out of Penzance. I'm still alive and enjoying other tobaccos.

Best,

4noggins has done nearly the same thing. Prices for 8oz bags are 42.95. There are none in stock, I just noticed the $10 difference from a few days ago.

joshoowah":rb0zu51y said:
4noggins has done nearly the same thing. Prices for 8oz bags are 42.95. There are none in stock, I just noticed the $10 difference from a few days ago.
I noticed that 4Noggins was selling Stonehaven on ebay to the highest bidder.  Maybe that was why no bags were in stock.  P&C's $50 per bag cost is much cheaper than the $150-$200 per bag 4Noggins received on ebay.

That's fine if they (4Noggins) want to go that route, but we shouldn't necessarily be singling-out P&C as the only money grubber out there.

I do agree that Cart has a legitimate beef.

P&C took forever to get to me about a backorder of Cornell and Diehl’s da Vinci.  They asked if I wanted to cancel it and I said yes because I could get it at SP and they have it in stock.  I find it very strange that P&C can’t seem to fill backorders in a timely manner.  I will not shop there anymore either; unless I am dying for a tin of H&H’s Marquee series Black House or such like.

I also like 4noggins and have had no problems with them so far. I also like Smokingpipes.com. I must look for others now. Maybe we should have a sticky for a list of them.

flyguy":6ckyg0hy said:
joshoowah":6ckyg0hy said:
I noticed that 4Noggins was selling Stonehaven on ebay to the highest bidder.  Maybe that was why no bags were in stock.  P&C's $50 per bag cost is much cheaper than the $150-$200 per bag 4Noggins received on ebay.

That's fine if they (4Noggins) want to go that route, but we shouldn't necessarily be singling-out P&C as the only money grubber out there.

As I understand it, if 4Noggins is selling tobacco on eBay, they are selling it on consignment for a customer. When Rich get his stock of Esoterica Tobacco, it goes on his website at his regular price.

I notice other retailers still haven't raised their prices on Esoterica.

Northern Neil":wx2tecb5 said:
flyguy":wx2tecb5 said:
joshoowah":wx2tecb5 said:

As I understand it, if 4Noggins is selling tobacco on eBay, they are selling it on consignment for a customer. When Rich get his stock of Esoterica Tobacco, it goes on his website at his regular price.
This is correct.

With that said, people have been fairly hard on P&C because of their gouging prices. To be honest though, if I can get a bag for $50 faster than one for $32 I'll take it any day, especially since bags sell for 3-4 times the amount on eBay.

joshoowah":mf7mm5su said:
Northern Neil":mf7mm5su said:
flyguy":mf7mm5su said:
joshoowah":mf7mm5su said:

This is correct.

With that said, people have been fairly hard on P&C because of their gouging prices.  To be honest though, if I can get a bag for $50 faster than one for $32 I'll take it any day, especially since bags sell for 3-4 times the amount on eBay.
What's the need to "... get it faster" and pay MORE for it if all your gonna do is put it in a cupboard and not smoke it for several years from now? Duh  :twisted: :twisted:

I'm sorry but I'm going to laugh when the bubble burst. And it will, it always does.

The most recent examples being Escudo and FVF. Anyone still holding on to their $35-40 tins.

The thing is the pipe forum guys that produce the runs on any given tobacco are clueless that they are the cause of the inflated pricing.

I've been watching it for years. Cyclic. Someone floats a rumor, everyone makes a mad dash, prices get jacked up, stores shelving is bare minutes after stocking, everyone gets 5 bajillion tins on hand, stores order 50 bajillion more tins. Nobody buys them. Causing the pricing to go down.. But also sticking the store owner with unmovable (or very slow moving) product and leaving the producer all geared up to run at RAT rate with crap tons of base tobacco.. Hurting them both while we move on to the next rare, hard to find, going out of business, no longer produced, recipe changed expensive tin.

As for Esoterica, I'm not enamoured with Stonehaven --a good thing for me, since Stonehaven, and Penzance (which I also don't care for) appear to be the hardest to find in stock.

I do enjoy (and cellar) some of their other blends -- Dorchester and Dunbar are favorites, Tillbury is also nice and I've been meaning to try Scarborough. I'll grab an 8 oz. bag or two when I get lucky and find them available, usually from 4 Noggins or SPC.

rothnh":zf5oxhy7 said:
As for Esoterica, I'm not enamoured with Stonehaven --a good thing for me, since Stonehaven, and Penzance (which I also don't care for)  appear to be the hardest to find in stock.

I do enjoy (and cellar) some of their other blends -- Dorchester and Dunbar are favorites, Tillbury is also nice and I've been meaning to try Scarborough.  I'll grab an 8 oz. bag or two when I get lucky and find them available, usually from 4 Noggins or SPC.
That's a shame because I actually like Stonehaven. The only time I ever bought some was before it went all crack-crazy two years ago. Since then, I've been unable to score any.

I agree with Roth on Penzance but not Stonehaven.  However, I am not willing to pay ebay prices of $150-$200 for an 8oz bag.  There are too many great tobaccos to be had at reasonable prices.  I am willing to pay $50-$75 a bag. The market place is currently dictating the price of Stonehaven. So be it.  When the price comes back down, I will purchase the stuff again.

If I were Germain,  I would not allow the middle-man to reap all the profits on their fine product.  I would find a way to sell directly to the North American public.

monbla256":fp8icmvo said:
joshoowah":fp8icmvo said:
Northern Neil":fp8icmvo said:
flyguy":fp8icmvo said:
joshoowah":fp8icmvo said:

This is correct.

With that said, people have been fairly hard on P&C because of their gouging prices.  To be honest though, if I can get a bag for $50 faster than one for $32 I'll take it any day, especially since bags sell for 3-4 times the amount on eBay.
What's the need to "... get it faster" and pay MORE for it if all your gonna do is put it in a cupboard and not smoke it for several years from now? Duh  :twisted: :twisted:
And all that does is fortify the price of the tobacco. That's how it starts with everything, if people pay it they'll keep selling it. If no one or few buy it for $50+ (stupid money IMHO) they'll have to quit selling it for that price. And for the record, I don't hoard/cellar it for years, I SMOKE it with the exception of keeping a few ounces on hand for when the hoarders buy it all before I have a chance to purchase my measly two 8oz. bags for the year.  :suspect: This is just tobacco we're talking about, one of my few joys in life but, selfish, inconsiderate people have got to run and grab it all up like there's no tomorrow so it can sit in there cellars and no one enjoys it. What do they do with the stuff, sit and gaze at it like a miser and his money?  :lol!: Men and there money are soon departed. ;)