P&C Produced Blends (War Horse, John Cotton's..) Dry?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroContent

Reaction score
So I got a bunch of blends that are produced by the guys at Pipes and Cigars. Namely War Horse, John Cotton's Number 1, Numbers 1&2, Smyrna, and others. Is it just me or they really dry in the tin. I wanted to give Smyrna a try today but it was too dry in the tin so I had to jar it up and give it a spritz of distilled water. So I figured, alright I'll give Number 1 a shot, same thing, way too dry. War Horse was the same way when I opened it two weeks ago. Is it just me or are these all being packaged really dry?

I found that with a few of their blends. Quicker smokes than I was prepared for, but hey, at least they're not wet so you have to dry out the money you spent on water. Granted, the oils are tough to replace/reconstitute, but whaddaya do?

there weren't so dry that they were too far gone, but they were definitely like shredded paper when I was moving it to a jar. I need my tobacco to be a little more moist than that. I recently openned my first two tins of Samuel Gawith (not the first SG tobaccos I've had, just the first that I bought still in a tin) and I always here people complain about SG being too wet, i thought they were both spot on. Guess that's just me then.

Well, SG stuff tends to be on the damp side for me. One of the few I can set out a few flakes for the day and it never gets crispy. Of course, I like them because it seems the bowls smoke forever!

Plus if I travel with them they don't turn to snuff in my pouch.

I found Warhorse and Bengal slices to be just about perfect on opening, but I do like my tobacco to be a bit on the dry side. What I did notice is that both blends started to dry quickly in the tin after just a few days and needed to be jarred. Well worth the extra effort for both blends IMHO.

I find War Horse dry, but I do like my 'baccy on the dry side. Have to be careful not to puff too fast or the bowl can overheat. I jarred my tin upon opening.

Cheers,

RR

One of my tins of first batch Crown Achievement was really dry, and the tin was properly sealed. Other people said they didn't experience the same thing.

The reasons that blends created by Russ Ouellette are sold dry: Russ doesn't think customers should pay for water, and he also thinks tobaccos taste better dry. I applaud the first reason, but disagree with the second.

While i applaud not wanting to sell water there is a huge downside being that the tobacco will age extra slow. You basically have to open immediately, hydrate and jar because it'll not age in the original tin worth a crap. Also agree that dry tobacco doesn't taste very good.