P-Lip Surprise

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker13

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I've always avoided Peterson pipes with this feature because I couldn't envision I'd enjoy the smoke delivery of such a stem.

Well, I really wanted one of their specialty tankard pipes, just one of those itches that just came out of nowhere and wouldn't go away. So, I bit the bullet and bought one.

Last night I baptized it with some Plum Pudding Special Reserve. At first, I have to admit, smoking felt a little strange. I couldn't "puff" in the manner I was accustomed to. However, after about 15 minutes I was enjoying smoking that pipe like I'd been smoking a P-Lip for years. It felt just fine, not strange at all.

So, I guess you CAN teach an old dog some new tricks. Great! Now I can finally get some of those pipes in the Sherlock Holmes series!

Glad you had a good time with it! I’m also a fan, and it unlocks a world of Peterson opportunities.

I guess I had a bad introduction to the p-lip stem. The first time I smoked one the hot smoke was vectored diretly to the roof of my mouth just behind my teeth and essentally burned the roof of my mouth. Never smoked one again. Perhaps I need to give it another try.

SteveMKentucky":erjtmqdz said:
I guess I had a bad introduction to the p-lip stem.  The first time I smoked one the hot smoke was vectored diretly to the roof of my mouth just behind my teeth and essentally burned the roof of my mouth.  Never smoked one again.  Perhaps I need to give it another try.

My experience exactly.

6 of my 10 petes are with p-lip. Love them!! If it is a systempipe, p-lip is way to go! IMHO!

Since that first P-lip pipe I've gotten 3 more; a =smooth barrel and 2 smooth Sherlock Holmes pipes - a Mycroft and a Strand. I just love them! Gives my tongue a rest and they smoke cooler.

SteveMKentucky":u9xxpsae said:
I guess I had a bad introduction to the p-lip stem.  The first time I smoked one the hot smoke was vectored diretly to the roof of my mouth just behind my teeth and essentally burned the roof of my mouth.  Never smoked one again.  Perhaps I need to give it another try.
Same here. I really tried to to like the p-lip. And almost got it but did t like the way it sat in my teeth.

For those who found the P-lip a tough go, I had the same experience the first number of times. I left my one and only Peterson with a p-lip (a 20s) alone for a number of years using only my fishtail stems. I love the look of some of the system pipes and started to get more into them after starting to follow the Peterson Pipe Notes blog.I was turning down some nice pipes because they had a p-lip so I decided to try and figure out what the issues was. I don't know if I totally figured out the issue but I've put it down to a combination of the tobacco and my smoking cadence because I bought a lovely black sandblast 301 with a p-lip and haven't had that issue again. Go figure.