P-lip

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FairlyStable

Reaction score
I have a Peterson 87 with a P-lip. I am not sure yet how I feel about the P-lip. At times I think I like it, at other times it seems to annoy me. Be that as it may, it is the only pipe I have that I can smoke down to nothing but ash every single time. It never fails. I have only 8 pipes, all of comparable quality (comparable cost, at least) to the Peterson, but with none of my other pipes can I do this. I usually consider myself lucky if I don't end up with a wet heel. Tobacco does not seem to matter and as far as I can tell I am smoking them all the same way.

Has anyone else experienced this with a P-lip? Does it have nothing to do with the P-lip and something else is at work?

Clearly a case of superior IRISH craftsmanship. :) :) :)

I have no idea what makes a pipe a good smoker. I used to think I did. Some will argue the briar, some the craftsmanship, others argue voodoo.
I'm pretty clearly in the last camp. While good aged briar helps, and craftsmanship seems to increase the odds of finding a smoker, neither guarantee's it.
I dont think the P-lip has anything to do with how the pipe smokes but I may be wrong. I have had Petes with em and with out em, didn't seem to make much difference.

As for the heel.. You need to slow down your smoking. Develop a slow sipping rhythm that barely allows the tobacco to smolder, it is ok to relight a pipe. Dont pack your pipe as tight as you are, it needs air to breathe, and allow a few days between smokes. This may help alleviate the excess dottle.

Thanks, pb. I will try to follow your advice.

My understanding is that the P-lip intends to direct smoke to the roof of the mouth and thereby reduce tongue bite, and as far as I know should not otherwise effect the smoke. In any case, it is a good smoker. Maybe it is voodoo! Although my pipe-smoking Irish grandfather would surely agree with your first suggestion!

i have two p-lip peteys and they are the only pipes that i can soke macbarens virginia no. 1 out of, for whatever reason the p-lip lets me smoke this nuclear furnace of tobacco and not regret it for a week after!

vaperfavour,

That's interesting. The p-lip doesn't just move the bite to the roof of your mouth? That's what happens to me occasionally. However, I'm sure it's my technique that is to blame. Sometimes I seem to get a nice mouthful of smoke that is very pleasant.

One of my small collection of pipes is a Peterson 305 system. It is the first pipe I bought. One bowl I liked it, the next one or two I didn't. When I was up in MT a couple of weeks ago, I had the chance to visit MT's carving shop. I asked him to fix me up with a wide fishtail. I like the way it draws a _lot_ better, and havn't had a wet heel since. Am also new to pipe, so think the stem may hqve been the diff. Possibly a little more experience and advice from brothers here, but it just draws sooo much better that I can just 'sip' it. I heard Peterson may discontinue selling replacement bits, but that may just be rumor. If they do, any repair shop can help ya out if you decide to go w/the fishtail for about $20 or so.

Bd Bruce

I have a Savinelli with a P-lip and am seriously thinking of replacing it with a fishtail. Just can't get used to it and don't think I ever will.

Dave

Bd Bruce and Dave,

I’m not sure if I will ever get completely comfortable with the p-lip, but I think I will give it some more time. As I mentioned above, I love the way the pipe smokes. I like everything about the pipe – it feels good in the hand, I like the way it looks, and the size works well for me. I’m considering getting another one just like it except with a fishtail (although I’m having a hard time finding one) so I can enjoy smoking that while continuing to work it out with the p-lip. It’s a fun process anyway. At the moment I’m halfway through a bowl of Nightcap in a Tsuge Triangle that has a very nice, comfortably wide and thin fishtail. It’s probably the most comfortable of my pipes.

well, in my very humble opinion macbarens virginia no. 1 is incredibly delicious but, it must be smoked slowly! sipped and nursed along. if the roof of your mouth is getting scorched try a looser pack and sipping the tobacco. i let my v. no. 1 dry out considerably before smoking. whatever topping they put on it only makes the furnace hotter. of course the tin i have was bought in 1998! :D one of the biggest mistakes i made when first experimenting with pipes and virginias was a too hard of a pack and FAST smoking tempo. not anymore. i havent had tongue bite in years. :bball: also i rarely smoke blends directly from the tin, i let them " breathe" for a time, careful not to let them lose their essential oils.try this and please post results.

vaperfavour":804rlql5 said:
well, in my very humble opinion macbarens virginia no. 1 is incredibly delicious but, it must be smoked slowly! sipped and nursed along. if the roof of your mouth is getting scorched try a looser pack and sipping the tobacco. i let my v. no. 1 dry out considerably before smoking. whatever topping they put on it only makes the furnace hotter. of course the tin i have was bought in 1998! :D one of the biggest mistakes i made when first experimenting with pipes and virginias was a too hard of a pack and FAST smoking tempo. not anymore. i havent had tongue bite in years. :bball: also i rarely smoke blends directly from the tin, i let them " breathe" for a time, careful not to let them lose their essential oils.try this and please post results.
Put some away for several years and try it again. It mellows out nicely and that blast furnace effect cools down a good bit.

Repeat this until you have it memorized :

"Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake."

Now go and sin no more. :D :D :D

:face:

Winslow has wisdom! Hamburger Veermaster is as gentle yet delicious a weed as there is. I always laugh at the script on the tin, as the "V" in Veermaster sure looks like a "B" to me. I'd love to be smoking a bowl full of Beermaster along with a large stein of home-brew. :drunken:

Natch

Aha! All the best people smoke Hamburger Veermaster.I just rewarded myself with 2 bowls of that noble weed,it is so sweet when you hit the zone.

Winslow

I had a problem with the Peterson p-lip that I couldn't overcome. When I clenched a pipe with a p-lip (I do clench from time to time), the hole in the p-lip always ended up right against one of my teeth. The hole was completely blocked by a tooth. This happened, amazingly enough, on both sides of my mouth.

I found that I could clench the pipe without blocking the hole if I moved it deeper into my mouth, but I found that to be a singularly uncomfortable way to hold a pipe. I finally gave up, and drilled a hole straight into the bit. That's worked fine for me...though it negates the advertised advantage of the p-lip.

My problem with the P-lip is that it seems harder to get a pipe cleaner through it. It seems that the wire tip of the cleaner wants to dig into the wall rather than slide through nicely. The P-lip does seem to cut down on tongue bite for me. I can puff pretty furiously on my Peterson and I never have suffered a bad case of tongue bite.

I can see how clenching a p-lip might be uncomfortable. I never clench, so I haven't experienced it. That may change as I start doing more yard work. I'm trying to stay away from the Copenhagen, but that stuff is great when working outside.

Pipe cleaners pass pretty easily for me. Sometimes it requires a little twist and wiggle, but it goes.

I have actually been enjoying the p-lip over the past few days. I will have to try some HV in it. I smoked some Night Train today and it was beautiful.

I have both and will generally choose a FT bit over the p-lip when I can. Yes, if you're smoking hot you can irritate the roof of your mouth but with care you should be fine. I like the feel of some of the p-lips. Some seem too clunky. Also, if you have a problem getting moisture from your mouth into the pipe, then the p-lip can help a bit since the hole is actually higher than your tongue. Just my thoughts. My dad never liked them but he said it's probably because that have a sort of phallic look. Whatever works. If you get a FT stem made you can always switch off and see which one you like better and let that guide future decisions. Try to get a decent handmade stem so at least your sort of comparing apples and apples.

ofafeather, "a sort of phallic look" - you know, that hadn't occurred to me, but now I see it. Yes, I do. Thanks for pointing that out. I guess. I suppose referring to the pipe as "my Pete" takes on a whole new connotation now.

Wife: What are you doing out on the patio, honey, late on this beautiful starry night?
Me: Im smoking! I swear to you I'm only smoking! It's a pipe, fer crissake!

:D

Okay, seriously, where does one get a stem made? I like the pipe and it might be fun to switch now and then. The stem. On the pipe.

ftrplt, I think I like it a little better than "tolerate." I'm not always in the mood for it (if I may use that phrase now), but I don't think I want to get rid of it, either.

I'm just going to end this post now.