PAD and specific wants

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger107

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I have been searching Ebay for another large pipe for my morning burley addiction but so far no luck. At least nothing I can afford. Found a nice new Don Carlos but it wasn't as large as my current dublin and was almost $400. A bit of a stretch for my budget. So, I've been looking at a Pete house pipe. Sturdy, I am not familiar with the PSB rating you mentioned. How do I know if a house pipe has this rating? Are they more expensive than other house pipes? Any info and advice much appreciated.

I have been searching Ebay for another large pipe for my morning burley addiction but so far no luck. At least nothing I can afford. Found a nice new Don Carlos but it wasn't as large as my current dublin and was almost $400. A bit of a stretch for my budget. So, I've been looking at a Pete house pipe. Sturdy, I am not familiar with the PSB rating you mentioned. How do I know if a house pipe has this rating? Are they more expensive than other house pipes? Any info and advice much appreciated.
Ranger,
I think the size of the Peterson House pipe is just what your looking for, but I don’t know if you would find them too heavy. The PSB is Peterson’s designation for exceptional grain which they claim represents 1% of their pipes. This is the best example: The first pub is a beautiful sandblast that weighs in at 93 grams. The second pub is the PSB that weighs in at 71 grams. Same pipes other that briar age and quality.
380772A1-5B1D-475E-AA12-234A64405445.jpeg

A52E7DE5-3FBC-4BB4-8FC2-F003CCCDC191.jpeg

That bottom one is one of the best sandblasts I've seen for a while, sans a Cooke that has gone through several proprietary blastings. I don't smoke large pipes anymore, but geez, that one would grab my eye and temptations in a second.

Ranger, I have 1 Pete housepipe,It`s a large rusticated,handmade pipe that I bought new many years ago.It`s a big pipe and heavy, I can only clench it with a softy bit,but its a good hour long smoke. Also my pipe has the p-lip,too.

Well, I searched for a couple of weeks and could not find a PSB in either a House Pipe or a Pub. Cupojoes listed a PSB Pub. Called them twice and left messages but no response so I"m thinking they really didn't have one. Finally broke down and ordered a Pub from Smoking Pipes. It listed at 3.2 oz but I Called and had them actually weigh the pipe. I think I can handle the 3.2 as my Butz Choquin is 3.2 and it is comfortable. I have my eye on a large bent Calbresi on Ebay but don't know anything about them. Ant advice or recommendations from anyone who has one?

I've had a couple of Butz Choquin pipes that I enjoyed, a bent bulldog and a rhodesian. I forgot your large pipe desired dimensions but Oom Paul designs usually have a bowl width approaching 0.85 inches and depth over 2 inches. I have a Savinelli that is a nice old pipe and clenches easily.
1677721681190675132969455724883.jpg