PAD for a special collection

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinH

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm still a noob when it comes to pipes and tobacco, and I've come to realize that the world of the leaf and briar are enormous, and will take years to fully understand and appreciate.

Along those lines of thought, I've experimented with every type of blend, and I think I found a happy understanding of my palate, but I love exploring. Although I know that there is no such thing as "enough" or "too much" leaf, I tend to break up my buying patterns and fluctuate between a PAD here and there, and a little while of TAD.

Thus, I am currently in a PAD mindset and find myself drawn particularly to low-end pipes, the Longchamp to be specific. I own three now, and my first one was my grandfathers, and I think it may have been on of his favorite pipes. It smokes like a dream, and has always had a unique look in my eyes because of the leather covering.

I've since made it my mission to slowly procure every Longchamp I can find. Unfortunately, I've lost every bid on ebay, which is upsetting in some respect, but I'll continue in an attempt to make my collection grow.

All this said, I am curious, if any of you have a similar affliction of this type of PAD? Does anyone else feel the need to collect a certain brand or type of pipe?

I know that my PAD has also recently been overwhelmed by the need for bulldogs. Ever since a dear friend gifted me with my first "no name" bulldog, I've been enamored with them. Hence my recent acquisition of a Peterson 80s (also a gift from the same friend).

I find myself trolling ebay, and any other site I can find, and of course the Longchamp is no longer made. This makes it a bit more difficult to find, and acquire said pipe. It seems that this particular pipe is having some revival, just based on the fierce bidding I've seen on ebay for the pipe's I attempted to purchase. Maybe I'm wrong about the "fierce bidding" thing, but I was surprised that this type of pipe sold for the prices I saw at the end of an auction.

At any rate, I'd love to know if others have this strange "obsession" with a particular brand, etc.

Martin

By "trolling," you mean baiting sellers with political innuendo about their lack of fortitude with their mothers, or scanning and coming data patiently? Just wondering, definitions are complicated these days. :lol:

I also find myself going between tobacco and pipe buying, then again, whimsy is a lot of fun.

I've acquired recently my first bulldog, too, given to me by a friend wherein the original owner passed on. It's a leather-wrapped beauty, a little used, but it cleaned up nicely. I never considered bulldogs before, but now I'm intrigued. It smokes well and I'd even get so racy to look for them in bent or Rhodesian styles..

"Trolling" eh? - Well I'm generally herranging the sellers asking them why they start their bids a 1 penny, but have a reserve of $100. :)

To be honest, I've been so sick of ebay, or rather frustrated by it, that I've opted for finding alternative sites. :)

MartinH":fdjx5sxm said:
"Trolling" eh? - Well I'm generally herranging the sellers asking them why they start their bids a 1 penny, but have a reserve of $100. :)

To be honest, I've been so sick of ebay, or rather frustrated by it, that I've opted for finding alternative sites. :)
Sounds like we live in the same digital neighborhood. 8) I'm with ya.

I had the same idea to collect older kaywoodies,out of the 6 or 7 that I bought I only smoke one of them. They are nice pipes but my interest in collecting them has faded, now im thinking about selling them off. My attention now is looking for smaller pot shape pipes. As far as the bulldogs go, thats a great shape to hold and too look at, and the diamond shank makes it easy to set them down if need be.