PAD taking over

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger107

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Have been slowly? trying to upgrade my collection. Specifically looking for some higher end pipes. Costello, Don Carlos, Ser Jacopo, etc. Scored a nice Pipa Croci off ebay couple days ago. Not the $200 one, but one similar to the one on Briar Blues. Got it for $73 which I felt pretty good about. Would love to try an original Dunhill as I have never had one but they always seem exhorbitant even the well used estate ones.

Gave in to my PAD last night and scored a nice Don Carlos one note off ebay. Considering a unique Peterson at Iwan Reiss. Called the Jeckal and Hyde. Smooth on one side, rusticated on the other. Very different.

A pic of the Peterson. What do you guys think of this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-11-19-08-22-28.png
    Screenshot_2020-11-19-08-22-28.png
    893.7 KB · Views: 139
Lol. As long as there is room to store our pipes and tobaccy and good neighbors to share with we will never really be poor. Have picked up some nice pipes but trying to look for deals and keep it reasonable. Said no to the $400 Armellini I was drooling over yesterday. And as they say you can't take it with you,, lol.

Just read an older post on PAD. Rather amazed at some members on here who said they have over 300 pipes. When I gave up pipe smoking back around 2003 time frame I had between 50 and 60 pipes. About half of them acquired during and shortly after college in the 70s. Mostly savs, gbd, comoys, couple of sasienis, and a couple of danish hand carved that I bought while in Denmark. Boxed them up and moved them a couple of times. Sometime around early 2014 sold them to a shop in ohio. Saved 3, 2 stanwells and a sav Roma bulldog that I really liked. When I took up the pipe again a couple of years later I wished I had never sold them. Was amazed at what estate pipes were bringing on ebay. Started slowly building up my collection again. Up to about 35 or so now but will never reach 300, lol. However I am happy to have rediscovered the enjoyment and serenity that I get while puffing on good tobacco and exploring all the new offerings. Really like all the suggestions I am reading on here.
PS breaking in my new pipa croci with some Hobbitts Weed. Very pleasant.

Do any of you guys have experience with Aldo Valeni pipes. Prices on Ebay seem to vary widely. I am not familiar with them but looking at Petes on the Iwan Reiss website this am they had a catagory of 1/2 price pipes. Things like Caminettos were down to maybe $250 +. But they had a bunch of aldo valenis for $27 up to over a hundred. Saw a really nice straight grain dublin for $100. Said it was originally $250. It was by far the best looking of the bunch. Any advice or opinions?

Got my new,to me, gourd calabash yesterday. Scored off of ebay for $90. Looks perfect for an estate pipe. Trying to decide on what to have in it for it's maiden voyage. Suggestions?

Do any of you guys have experience with Aldo Valeni pipes. Prices on Ebay seem to vary widely. I am not familiar with them but looking at Petes on the Iwan Reiss website this am they had a catagory of 1/2 price pipes. Things like Caminettos were down to maybe $250 +. But they had a bunch of aldo valenis for $27 up to over a hundred. Saw a really nice straight grain dublin for $100. Said it was originally $250. It was by far the best looking of the bunch. Any advice or opinions?
I have two Aldo Velani's acquired a long time ago!! Have no idea what I paid for them; not much I would guess. They are basically "yard" pipes, smoke very well, and appear to be made well! FTRPLT

I have two Aldo Velani's acquired a long time ago!! Have no idea what I paid for them; not much I would guess. They are basically "yard" pipes, smoke very well, and appear to be made well! FTRPLT
Thanks, if bought a long time ago I suspect they were not expensive. Even at todays prices they are relatively cheap. Most were 50 bucks and under with a few at 75 or 80. The one I got was listed as a custom handmade with only 100 produced. In the photos it is a perfect straight grain all the way around and looks as good as many I have seen costing 2 or 3 times as much. Guess we will see when it gets here if I got a bargain or got taken, lol. And it's from Iwan Reiss so if not satisfied I can return it.

Well Blackhorse you may be right about joining you in the poor house, lol. 8 new pipes in the last two weeks. Now I need another pipe stand, lol. Got my two new Road Towns today. A 1/4 bent Dublin and a Rhodesian. Rhodesian looks perfect. The Dublin had a slight separation between the bit and stummel, maybe 1/32 or 2mm. Bit would not push in all the way. Did not want the hassle of returning so spent ten minutes in the shop with some sandpaper and rouge on a polishing wheel and now it is perfect too, or really close, lol. Breaking in the dublin with some CH. It's a smaller bowl than I expected from the photos but okay. Think I will dedicate it to aeros. Smoking okay so far for a "fresh" pipe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-11-28-16-48-35.png
    Screenshot_2020-11-28-16-48-35.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 123
They are good pipes. I have a couple

I like those, have been planning on getting one at some point. I think it's a really cool idea
DL, I would put that on hold. Hate to report this but the one I got was not a good pipe. Looked nice but a lousy smoker. Burned hot, gurgled, had a bad hot spot right at the split line between the smooth and rusticated halves. Called Iwan Reiss and they said send it in and they would look it over. My intent is to tell them I do not want it back. If they won't make it right I won't buy from them again. I am going to offer to take a couple of the aldo velanis off their half price page in exchange. I can get two for less than the price of the Pete.

Well my self restraint took a couple of steps back the last couple of days. Have 3 pipes still to be delivered, two from the gent in Serbia and the Design Berlin from Germany. Then P&C had a churchwarden on sale for $35 so jumped on that as I've never had one. Then scored two more from Brunello yesterday. Guess I will be joining Blackhorse in the poorhouse soon, lol.