PAD taking over

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah...couple of open bunks here in the dorm.

932F3C9F-5DCF-41B7-AF16-ED8E7E80269F.jpeg

Thanks but just kidding. House is paid off. Owe less than a grand on the truck so it will be paid off in two months. Then no more actual debt, as in payments. Now if things don't go to s**t in the next 4 years we should be okay. But keep a bunk open just in case, lol.

Well my self restraint took a couple of steps back the last couple of days. Have 3 pipes still to be delivered, two from the gent in Serbia and the Design Berlin from Germany. Then P&C had a churchwarden on sale for $35 so jumped on that as I've never had one. Then scored two more from Brunello yesterday. Guess I will be joining Blackhorse in the poorhouse soon, lol.
At this pace, you'll get to 300 in no time 😜

Nope, I absolutely, positively, will cut back on pipe purchases this year. And, I'm still nowhere near that 300 mark, although I'm pushing 60 pipes right now, about 20 or so in the last 3 months. Think I will stop at 100,,lol.

Yeah I thought I wouldn't be purchasing anything for the next couple months. Ended up ordering up five different cobs, four tins of tobacco and a pound of bulk. So much for restraint. Will be modifying some of the cobs with new stems and bits. Hopefully they will come out okay when done. Going to try and put a bamboo stem with a lucite bit on one of them.

Dang it, between you guys and Ron's postings I am now jonesing for one of his pipes. Saw a bent dublin on the website that called my name but already sold. May have to call and see if I can get him to make another. So much for restraint.

Oksy, okay. I know I said I would cut back and only buy top end pipes I really wanted but I could not let this one go. Been researching Randy Wileys ever since TnDave showed his RW Gallion. And I know he advised buying new. BUT, cheapest I saw on smoking pipes was $165 for a grade 44 rusticated. Iwan.Reiss had a similar for $200. Priced on ebay going $125 to over $400. So when this one popped up on ebay this afternoon I had to bid and I won it for $75. So tell me if you guys think I did good or got snookered. It's a grade 55 freehand smooth.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-02-02-18-18-41.png
    Screenshot_2021-02-02-18-18-41.png
    400.4 KB · Views: 133
Oksy, okay. I know I said I would cut back and only buy top end pipes I really wanted but I could not let this one go. Been researching Randy Wileys ever since TnDave showed his RW Gallion. And I know he advised buying new. BUT, cheapest I saw on smoking pipes was $165 for a grade 44 rusticated. Iwan.Reiss had a similar for $200. Priced on ebay going $125 to over $400. So when this one popped up on ebay this afternoon I had to bid and I won it for $75. So tell me if you guys think I did good or got snookered. It's a grade 55 freehand smooth.
You got a great deal on that pipe. Way to go.

I ordered a couple of the Aldo Velani pipes on sale at Iwan Ries and was very impressed with them. So, I ordered two more of them in shapes that I like. I didn't see very many fills at all in the pipes that I bought. But time will tell on that; fills that you didn't notice sometimes pop out at you after smoking the pipe a few times. It couldn't be any worse that one of my beloved Dr. Grabows that I thought was almost perfect; after smoked a few years, some pink fills appeared. Of course they don't affect how well it smokes.

I ordered a couple of the Aldo Velani pipes on sale at Iwan Ries and was very impressed with them. So, I ordered two more of them in shapes that I like. I didn't see very many fills at all in the pipes that I bought. But time will tell on that; fills that you didn't notice sometimes pop out at you after smoking the pipe a few times. It couldn't be any worse that one of my beloved Dr. Grabows that I thought was almost perfect; after smoked a few years, some pink fills appeared. Of course they don't affect how well it smokes.
I was impressed with how well the two I got smoked. Not that concerned about fills or appearance but so far they both look good and smoke very well.

DL, I would put that on hold. Hate to report this but the one I got was not a good pipe. Looked nice but a lousy smoker. Burned hot, gurgled, had a bad hot spot right at the split line between the smooth and rusticated halves. Called Iwan Reiss and they said send it in and they would look it over. My intent is to tell them I do not want it back. If they won't make it right I won't buy from them again. I am going to offer to take a couple of the aldo velanis off their half price page in exchange. I can get two for less than the price of the Pete.
I got a Peterson Dublin Edition pipe from PipesandCigars.com that was terrible. It was not a typical Peterson shape and the workmanship was terrible. The stem was too long for the size of the shank and it just looked bad. I couldn't find this particular Peterson model anywhere else. They let me exchange it for a Stanwell Royal Guard 88 straight billiard.

I got a Peterson Dublin Edition pipe from PipesandCigars.com that was terrible. It was not a typical Peterson shape and the workmanship was terrible. The stem was too long for the size of the shank and it just looked bad. I couldn't find this particular Peterson model anywhere else. They let me exchange it for a Stanwell Royal Guard 88 straight billiard.
I guess even a good pipe maker can get a dud once in a while. Bound to happen when you make a couple thousand pipes a year. At least the better retailers will usually make it right because they don't want bad press. After all pipe smokers are a fairly tight knit community.

I guess even a good pipe maker can get a dud once in a while. Bound to happen when you make a couple thousand pipes a year. At least the better retailers will usually make it right because they don't want bad press. After all pipe smokers are a fairly tight knit community.

I've had pretty good performance out of Peterson pipes over the years - only had one burnout and sent it back to Ireland and they replaced it. I was mainly complaining about that particular line - the "Dublin Edition". It's almost like they had a bunch of second- and third- quality bowls that weren't suitable for any of their existing shapes, so they finished them out into pipes any way they could. That's why you don't order them by shape number but by whether you want straight or bent. The only place I was able to locate this line is at PipesandCigars.com.

I have two Aldo Velani's acquired a long time ago!! Have no idea what I paid for them; not much I would guess. They are basically "yard" pipes, smoke very well, and appear to be made well! FTRPLT

I've had pretty good performance out of Peterson pipes over the years - only had one burnout and sent it back to Ireland and they replaced it. I was mainly complaining about that particular line - the "Dublin Edition". It's almost like they had a bunch of second- and third- quality bowls that weren't suitable for any of their existing shapes, so they finished them out into pipes any way they could. That's why you don't order them by shape number but by whether you want straight or bent. The only place I was able to locate this line is at PipesandCigars.com.
The other Petersons I have, 5 now, are all good smokers. The jeckyl & hyde looked nice, quality seemed okay, but it burned hot no matter what tobacco I put in it. Also had a couple of really hit spots on the bowl that I felt could burn out so I wasn't willing to take a chance on it.

Adding to my Randy Wiley collection of one pipe,,lol. Scored one off of Ebay for $135. A free hand, unique shape, grade 99. Considering lower quality are going for $160 and up, and clear grains for $200+, I thought it was a good deal. Will find out when I get it here, hopefully next week. It seems a bit heavy at 2.8 oz. but hopefully will smoke cool as it has serious side wall thickness. Will post pics when I get it.

My Randy Wiley arrived today. Dang nice looking pipe and not as heavy as I thought it would be. Seller said it was marked grade 98. I thought he wad misreading and was either 88 or 99, but no it says 98. Maybe someone with knowledge of RW's grading can explain this to me. Is there a grade 98? Breaking in with my own blend, urban cowboy, SWR, black cav, and McB Old Dark Fired. Smoking cool and sweet. Jim Beam Red Stag on the side.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-22-15-58-01.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-22-15-58-01.png
    765.4 KB · Views: 122
My Randy Wiley arrived today. Dang nice looking pipe and not as heavy as I thought it would be. Seller said it was marked grade 98. I thought he wad misreading and was either 88 or 99, but no it says 98. Maybe someone with knowledge of RW's grading can explain this to me. Is there a grade 98? Breaking in with my own blend, urban cowboy, SWR, black cav, and McB Old Dark Fired. Smoking cool and sweet. Jim Beam Red Stag on the side.
Wow, never seen a pipe quite like that, sort of a modern scoop design. Will need more pics! :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-03-22-16-24-02.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-22-16-24-02.png
    768.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot_2021-03-22-16-23-18.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-22-16-23-18.png
    766.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Screenshot_2021-03-22-16-21-50.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-22-16-21-50.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 142
  • Screenshot_2021-03-22-15-58-01.png
    Screenshot_2021-03-22-15-58-01.png
    765.4 KB · Views: 132
I like the pipe. Red Stagg on the rocks one of my favorites. I finally get my tax refund after waiting six weeks Wednesday. I'm trying to justify a new pipe and some tobacco. Problem is in truth I probably have enough of both. Another Poker or Meerschaum? Some tobacco I haven't tried yet?