Panama Hats

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
I have several genuine Panama hats from Ecuador, including Montecristis. My favorite, however, is not a Montecristi but a weave done in Cuenca, called the cuenca. I found the exact hat that I want, but the internet vendor says they still haven't received their inventory for this year because of the pandemic. It's a modest priced hat at $88.00, brand label Jaxon.
size-l.jpg

Have one!! Tagged "Homero Ortega, Genuine Panama Hat, Cuenca-Ecuador." Love the thing!!! Good friend got it for me on one of her travels!! FTRPLT

I have several genuine Panama hats from Ecuador, including Montecristis. My favorite, however, is not a Montecristi but a weave done in Cuenca, called the cuenca. I found the exact hat that I want, but the internet vendor says they still haven't received their inventory for this year because of the pandemic. It's a modest priced hat at $88.00, brand label Jaxon.
size-l.jpg
I got an email at the beginning of last week that the hat pictured was in stock and on sale with free shipping. It arrived this morning.It's nice, but far more stiff than I expected. Obviously, after it was blocked it was sprayed with some sort of starch.

I want one. Different shape. I am in the monthly drawing. But I need to just spend the dollars and get one. What I really need is a place to hang my hats at the ready.

Ohhhh. I’m a sucker for a nice Panama. Several here already that are getting pretty tattered (since I lead a hard manly life). So I found the Jaxon Cuenca hats on the Village Hats website…and they’re now $74.80 on some sale, including shipping. Wowzers!

The Trilby design pictured above doesn’t work for me. I need a brim. To me, that’s what a fedora is all about. I wanna look like Bogart…or Robert Redford…etc. 😁

So I caved and went for the Habana style. Love the top crease, the wider brim and the style link to tobacco-rich Havana.

70A7D38F-FA55-4466-93B6-A008DAD2371F.png

Could have bought one when I was in Ecuador back in 2008 but I'm just not a panama guy. Did wear a fedora like Indiana Jones for a few years. Now it's mostly western. Felt for winter, straw for summer.

That's one of the sharper ones I've seen, Blackhorse. Not to derail, but one of the few trends, as of late, that I've appreciated is the bucket hat. I used to wear a bucket hat when it rained, and then a jungle hat when I backpacked in the desert. Columbia made some nice ones. Some safari hats are cool too (not the Australian version with the flaps to cover the neck). Hats strike me a couple ways: 1) purely utilitarian 2) uber confidence, like for fashion. I feel weird in a hat, so I don't wear them for the latter. Old fishing hats, when the brim is wider on the back neck, are cool in that Moby Dick romance way.

Ohhhh. I’m a sucker for a nice Panama. Several here already that are getting pretty tattered (since I lead a hard manly life). So I found the Jaxon Cuenca hats on the Village Hats website…and they’re now $74.80 on some sale, including shipping. Wowzers!

The Trilby design pictured above doesn’t work for me. I need a brim. To me, that’s what a fedora is all about. I wanna look like Bogart…or Robert Redford…etc. 😁

So I caved and went for the Habana style. Love the top crease, the wider brim and the style link to tobacco-rich Havana.

View attachment 1981
Now I like that hat. Nice one BH

Thanks, ended up with another one as well. Very good brand, totally authentic Panama made in Ecuador, last one in stock, just my size…half price. More of a outdoor style. Great for the beach or woods walking.

AA4DAB2F-C9B7-4F9E-AA4B-9870480D7E3D.png063F6D4B-7023-4648-8C7A-A90AE1665D14.png

I like the look of the straw hats. My dad had one he wore it golfing and mowing the yard in. I think it was a Greg Norman hat. I've been getting away from the ball caps lately and wear an outdoor research hat when mowing or camping or whatever outside.
9866028D-5C6D-415C-A3B5-6331E4AA0D90.jpg