Partial texture pipes.

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

puros_bran

Reaction score
What's the consenus on partialy textured pipes?

I like some and don't like others. As a way of covering blemishes I much prefer partial texture to a fill.

Justpipes

Reaction score
I agree in that I would much rather see a pipe partially textured than have a fill in it. Bjarne was good at doing it. Bjarne would turn the partial rustication into some design like a leaf or something and it doesn't look bad at all. Kaywoodie does the same thing with some of their Gold Choice line and it doesn't look bad.

Doc Manhattan

Reaction score
I like partial-rustication when the rustication is given some meaningful real estate on the pipe, especially when it's functional. I have a Danbark poker where the bottom 25% of the bowl is rusticated, which makes good sense: I can sit it down anywhere without worrying about marring the briar.

Not a fan of the artistic cover-up of blemishes and defects; reminds me of getting a tattoo to cover up your ex-girlfriend's name. Once the perfection of the smooth finish is compromised, I would rather just see a little pit or a full blast.

hazmat

Reaction score
I don't mind partial rustication/texturing if it makes sense. Just a splotch of texture to hide a flaw isn't my thing. Using a paneled pipe as an example, there are definite visual demarcations where each panel meets. If the maker rusticates every other panel, I think it looks right. As a guy who goofs around making pipes and an ex art student, just haphazardly applying texture/rustication to a pipe throws off my sense of aesthetics badly. I'd rather tell a person, "there's a flaw" than try to hide/fill it.

adauria

Reaction score
I'm not nuts about that look... too mottled in general for me. But I could imagine where, if done subtly, it could work for some...

-Andrew

daveinlax

Reaction score
Castello comes to mind as a maker who does an excellent job with the partial rustication. I have seen a Japanese (?) carver who incorporates jade in the pipes to cover up sand pits, IMO a very good look. As long as it's not just a crude little cover up, I really like a textured/smooth pipe
Another topic might be shaping to remove pits, think Charatan, and the Danes. You know what I mean, they artfully (?) shape a pipe around it's flaws. Many collectors value a fill free standard shape (fraised) pipe over these "unique" shapes. :shock:

scottyb

Reaction score
I can't stand partial rustication. I would rather have a couple of pits. IMO any pipe that is not fit (by the maker) to be totally smooth should be fully carved or blasted. Look at Castello for instance - even the Fiamatta grades can have small pits.

Mikem

Reaction score
I have a few pipes that are partially rusticated/blasted. I don't mind it when used to hide a flaw as long as it flows with the bowl shape. A couple of carvers who comes to mind for me that does a good job of this are Kirk Bosi and Mike Brissett.

Nick

Reaction score
In general, I detest partial rustication. Partial blasting or rustication can occasionally work, but for the most part is just looks bad. I'd much rather see a few pits or see a totally rusticated pipe.

Hermit

Reaction score
It all depends on the pipe.
Sometimes it looks great, sometimes it's just awful.
This is one of my favorites:

Doc Manhattan

Reaction score
Those Pavel Hodula pipes are a steal for the price, too... I have one from the same batch, but Mr. Hermit got the prize of the litter.