Partial texture pipes.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
What's the consenus on partialy textured pipes?

I like some and don't like others. As a way of covering blemishes I much prefer partial texture to a fill.

I agree in that I would much rather see a pipe partially textured than have a fill in it. Bjarne was good at doing it. Bjarne would turn the partial rustication into some design like a leaf or something and it doesn't look bad at all. Kaywoodie does the same thing with some of their Gold Choice line and it doesn't look bad.

I like partial-rustication when the rustication is given some meaningful real estate on the pipe, especially when it's functional. I have a Danbark poker where the bottom 25% of the bowl is rusticated, which makes good sense: I can sit it down anywhere without worrying about marring the briar.

Not a fan of the artistic cover-up of blemishes and defects; reminds me of getting a tattoo to cover up your ex-girlfriend's name. Once the perfection of the smooth finish is compromised, I would rather just see a little pit or a full blast.

I don't mind partial rustication/texturing if it makes sense. Just a splotch of texture to hide a flaw isn't my thing. Using a paneled pipe as an example, there are definite visual demarcations where each panel meets. If the maker rusticates every other panel, I think it looks right. As a guy who goofs around making pipes and an ex art student, just haphazardly applying texture/rustication to a pipe throws off my sense of aesthetics badly. I'd rather tell a person, "there's a flaw" than try to hide/fill it.

I'm not nuts about that look... too mottled in general for me. But I could imagine where, if done subtly, it could work for some...

-Andrew

Castello comes to mind as a maker who does an excellent job with the partial rustication. I have seen a Japanese (?) carver who incorporates jade in the pipes to cover up sand pits, IMO a very good look. As long as it's not just a crude little cover up, I really like a textured/smooth pipe
Another topic might be shaping to remove pits, think Charatan, and the Danes. You know what I mean, they artfully (?) shape a pipe around it's flaws. Many collectors value a fill free standard shape (fraised) pipe over these "unique" shapes. :shock:

I can't stand partial rustication. I would rather have a couple of pits. IMO any pipe that is not fit (by the maker) to be totally smooth should be fully carved or blasted. Look at Castello for instance - even the Fiamatta grades can have small pits.

I have a few pipes that are partially rusticated/blasted. I don't mind it when used to hide a flaw as long as it flows with the bowl shape. A couple of carvers who comes to mind for me that does a good job of this are Kirk Bosi and Mike Brissett.

In general, I detest partial rustication. Partial blasting or rustication can occasionally work, but for the most part is just looks bad. I'd much rather see a few pits or see a totally rusticated pipe.

It all depends on the pipe.
Sometimes it looks great, sometimes it's just awful.
This is one of my favorites:
hod210.jpg

Those Pavel Hodula pipes are a steal for the price, too... I have one from the same batch, but Mr. Hermit got the prize of the litter.