PCCA Jazz?

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

Natch

Geographer Ultimo
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I found an old tin of this tobacco, but I can't seem to find any info or reviews of it? Does anyone know what the components are?

Natch

Attachments

• IMG_1111.jpg
    IMG_1111.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1112.jpg
    IMG_1112.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 22

Niblick

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I did a google search for pipe collectors club of america. It looks like it was a private club in the begining at least needing membership and done bu a monthly newsletter. As a member a discount for pipes and access to these tobacco's of which some could have been blended by McClelland.

Niblick

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
When I search pcc on tobacco reviews several blends made by McClelland come up with Pipestuds reviews. Makes me wonder if him or Jiminks was a member of this pre internet uber secret pipe society.🤔

ftrplt

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
PCCA was headed up by Bob Hamblin. Bob traveled around to darn near all the pipe shows way back when! IIRC, all the PCCA tobaccos were made/tinned by McClelland to his recipes. Bob also had a website where he sold his tobaccos and a goodly selection of pipes and accessories . I bought a whole slew of his 'baccy's years ago. His Latweeds had both Syrian (Syrian Star) and Cyprian (Cyprian Star). I checked Tobacco Reviews prior to typing this missive. I was surprised to note that Syrian Star was not reviewed, nor was Jazz. I rechecked my PCCA collection, noticing that several other PCCAs in my cellar were not reviewed/listed!
Can't exactly remember when Bob shut down PCCA...15-20 years ago! I realized he was getting out of the business/retiring when he started listing lake front property, etc. for sale on the PCCA site!! He also cleaned out his 'baccy closet; I picked up some grand bargains during this time. McClellands continued making some PCCA blends after Bob retired. I would have to dig further to compile a list of those!
Older Brothers may have more info on Bob & PCCA. FWIW, FTRPLT

leonardbill1

Reaction score
From the June 1995 PCCA mailer: Jazz is a new lighter styled Virginia Ribbon blend perfect for Summer smoking. This blend is made in the same style as Tudor or Avatar being a light to medium ribbon cut Virginia blend. Only 400, 50 gram tins at $6.95 or 5/$32.

From the February 1995 PCCA mailer:

Collector's Reserve Tudor, 50 gram - $6.95, or 5/$32. This is a light and dark Virginia blend that was released by PCCA 7/29/94. Mild to medium in taste, excellent Summer tobacco. 14 of the 400 produced remain as of 2/95.

Avatar will be a mixture of matured high grade Virginias in pressed flake form at $6.95 per 50 grams. Only 250 will be offered in 1995.

ftrplt

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Good info, LB1!! I knew someone would have some inside dope on the situation!! Thanx! FTRPLT