Peinnington Gap anyone?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertpiper

Reaction score
Has anyone tried C&D's Pennington Gap? I tried my first bowl from over the weekend and I'm quite pleased. One thing I noticed is I didn't get any tongue burn. The last time I tried a blend with Perique I got tongue bight pretty bad. It scared me away for a while. So has anyone out there tried and what's your opinion.

PG was one of those blends that caught my attentiion and I enjoyed for its uniqueness at the start of the 2 oz bag, but by the time I was filling my final bowl of the stuff I was ready for it to be done.

I thought this thread was going to be about seeding our lawns:

feature_pod_smartseed.ashx

Dave_In_Philly":5shyfxx4 said:
I thought this thread was going to be about seeding our lawns:

feature_pod_smartseed.ashx
Then it would have been under the DIY category.

Pennington Gap is one of my faves. I usually only smoke it in the summer, but there are times when nothing else hits the spot. I think it's one of the best presentations of perique available, and I love the fact that it's both incredibly gentle on the tongue and also has a nice nicotine kick. If nothing else, it's one of a handful of very unique aromatics on the market that really stretches the very definition of "aromatic" -- it's a high-end blend of very powerful tobaccos that just happens to be doused in spirits.
Is it just me, or do you also taste banana pudding on some draws?

jj1015":hioldfz7 said:
Pennington Gap is one of my faves. I usually only smoke it in the summer, but there are times when nothing else hits the spot. I think it's one of the best presentations of perique available, and I love the fact that it's both incredibly gentle on the tongue and also has a nice nicotine kick. If nothing else, it's one of a handful of very unique aromatics on the market that really stretches the very definition of "aromatic" -- it's a high-end blend of very powerful tobaccos that just happens to be doused in spirits.
Is it just me, or do you also taste banana pudding on some draws?
To be honest, I was so worried about the Perique and tongue bite that I didn't concentrate on much more. So to answer your question, no banana pudding. But I'll definitely pay more attention next time I smoke it. Which will be very soon. It certainly had a unique taste. Not sure if it was the Perique or the bourbon. If it's the Perique I'm definitely getting some more.

Out of curiosity, why would it matter whether the flavor is the perique or the bourbon so long as you like it? :D
In any case, I think the perique here is one of the most distinctive uses of that condiment on the market. It completely smoothes the show, I think. I also highly, highly recommend Redwood (made by C&D, as well, under the Two Friends label). It's a Va/Per but with a twist from the addition of some cavendish. It's very sweet and robust.

jj1015":rh9x87tx said:
Out of curiosity, why would it matter whether the flavor is the perique or the bourbon so long as you like it? :D
In any case, I think the perique here is one of the most distinctive uses of that condiment on the market. It completely smoothes the show, I think. I also highly, highly recommend Redwood (made by C&D, as well, under the Two Friends label). It's a Va/Per but with a twist from the addition of some cavendish. It's very sweet and robust.
No, it doesn't matter as long as I like. But I hear so much about Perique and I didn't enjoy it the last time I tried it. So that is why I focused on it the first time. As soon as the winds die down in my neck of the woods I'll be trying it again. And I'm sure I'll pick up the other flavors, maybe even banana pudding.

Perique is quite a chameleon, so trying a few different blends might be a good idea. The most basic characteristics of perique will change drastically depending on what it's mixed with and how it's processed. In some blends it has a pepper-like taste, and I tend to avoid those like the plague. But in some blends it produces a stewed fruit/plum like flavor that I can't get enough of. Pennington Gap is in the latter category, I think, as is Redwood, Haddo's Delight, Exhausted Rooster, and a few others.

jj1015":3hrfp1ui said:
Perique is quite a chameleon, so trying a few different blends might be a good idea. The most basic characteristics of perique will change drastically depending on what it's mixed with and how it's processed. In some blends it has a pepper-like taste, and I tend to avoid those like the plague. But in some blends it produces a stewed fruit/plum like flavor that I can't get enough of. Pennington Gap is in the latter category, I think, as is Redwood, Haddo's Delight, Exhausted Rooster, and a few others.
Thanks for tempting me with more blends! My wife will not be happy!lol.