Pennsylvania Smoking Ban

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morleysson

Reaction score
On Thursday last, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania caved in to bad science and prescriptive phony public morality enacting a ban on smoking throughout the state. The ban will be effective within 90 days. Now, I know that the Philadelphia area representatives, with their usual non-existent backbones, would grovel. On more than one occasion, they have shown the collective strength of jellyfish. But, for smokers, the rural legislators were always our hope. Sadly, on this issue, most of them joined the rest of the lemmings rushing to the sea, supporting our glorious governor. There will literally be no place for Pennsylvania smokers to congregate outside of tobacco stores and cigar bars. Unfortunately, most of the B&Ms these days are primarily smaller establishments and primarily cigar oriented.

The Philadelphia pipe group (aka Christopher Morley pipe Club) was meeting literally on the other side of the street from the city. Now, it appears that this venue will be gone as well. These are sad days indeed. And, not a single challenge to one legislator's preposterous claim of 75,000 smokers each year dying from second-hand smoke.

Sometimes good can come of these idiotic laws.I can foresee social clubs
springing up,private clubs such as many immigrants have.Havens for the pipe
smoker where women are not allowed and poker playing,drinking,stag movies,
and all the things we treasure which are forbidden to us by society are allowed
to flourish. ;) ;) ;) .They will drive us underground like the French Resistence
and they will be sorry. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Winslow

Georgia passed their anti-smoking law about 3 years ago (with no prior public announcement) with no changes yet. The state law makers do get free memberships in these exclusive men's clubs where they can smoke their contraband cigars, watch the dancing ladies and participate in what ever else is avaiolable. Even our local representative was caught during a raid on one of the clubs much to the dismay of the Baptist majority in the county, however he was re-elected.

So far, South Carolina has failed to pass a smoking ban, though several counties and cities have.

Jim

For several years now Oregon has had a ban on smoking in public buildings including within 15 feet of a bus stop. The exemptions are tobacco shops and bowling alleys (why, I don't know. I do not believe the bowling alley lobby is that big in Oregon.) Smoke shops that are in malls however are at the mercy of mall management.

Here is the rub for me. There is a third exemption, state legislators may not smoke in their offices, but do have common areas in the building where smoking is allowed. :scratch:

For all of us common folks no matter where we work it's step outside.

Highstump":cwmxol0j said:
For several years now Oregon has had a ban on smoking in public buildings including within 15 feet of a bus stop. The exemptions are tobacco shops and bowling alleys (why, I don't know. I do not believe the bowling alley lobby is that big in Oregon.) Smoke shops that are in malls however are at the mercy of mall management.

Here is the rub for me. There is a third exemption, state legislators may not smoke in their offices, but do have common areas in the building where smoking is allowed. :scratch:

For all of us common folks no matter where we work it's step outside.
That's how it is here in TN, but there's a couple of differences: 1) Smoking is allowed in all tobacco shops (no smokin' in bowling allies) 2) If the establishment is 21 and over, the owner may allow smoking.

Fargo, ND, just passed an even more restrictive ban now banning smoking anywhere, including the one cigar bar in town! How stupid is that? The paper had a front page story on what the cigar bar's plans were now that they were being put out of business by the city.

Surely the rest of ND will soon follow Fargo since they seem to look at Fargo as some kind of enlightened metropolis.

Man, these developments are coming close to what most Canadian provinces have legislated :evil:

There is no good news in this, it can be worse and will get worse :twisted:

Sorry to here this.

Smoking permitted in California at tj's house.

Have accommodated seven BOBS at one time; seven pipes plus one cigar going simultaneously. One BOB had a pipe going and a cigar at the same time; looking for crossover flavors.

Y'all come on over.

:lol!:

Bob,

I am sorry to hear this news but I am afraid it is an inevitable fate for all of us.

Of course there just might still be time to call up a constitutional miltia and put a stop to this maddness!

Justpipes":2d50fh6y said:
Bob,

I am sorry to hear this news but I am afraid it is an inevitable fate for all of us.

Of course there just might still be time to call up a constitutional miltia and put a stop to this maddness!
No, we're just suppose to fall in line like zombies, and feast on faulty science like we would brains. :affraid: