Penzance

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokingAngel

Reaction score
I am currently smoking a bowl of Penzance in my Brebbia Ninja 6002, crying on the inside about how hard it will be to get more when this tin runs out. Why is it so hard to get!? I have been searching a few sites every day for the last month.

SmokingAngel":dvlg6o7u said:
I am currently smoking a bowl of Penzance in my Brebbia Ninja 6002, crying on the inside about how hard it will be to get more when this tin runs out. Why is it so hard to get!? I have been searching a few sites every day for the last month.
Doing what you're doing is exactly how you find it. With Penzance and Stonehaven it's simply a matter of supply not being able to meet demand. I would imagine that there is a tremendous amount of time that goes into the processing of these two tobaccos. Good luck.

My Penzance ran out a while ago and i would love to get more, we cant even get it here in the UK. Germains wont even sell it to the UK market. Crazy industry!

glo0115":piqm24dn said:
My Penzance ran out a while ago and i would love to get more, we cant even get it here in the UK. Germains wont even sell it to the UK market. Crazy industry!
How about Krumble Kake? I have always heard that it "is" Penzance, where Rich Dark Flake is only close to Stonehaven..

How about Germains Special Latakia Flake?
I've always heard that it is either Penzance, or something very close to it.

It was actually making it rounds last week, I was able to score my first bag of Stonehaven. I saw some penzance too but it lasted maybe a day.

Basically though I just watched to forums and someone poster that it was in stock. I checked the site it was normal priced and I bought some. You just gotta watch and snap it up when you can. Don't pay crazy ebay prices, or at least I wont.

Basically its hard to find because a lot of people are looking for it, a lot of people buy it when ti does come along and it doesn't come along often. Weather its because they can make a lot of it, they dont send it out very often or what I dont know. Both I assume. Its the same with the Gawith stuff.

Harlock999":rzqfolha said:
Finally got a tin of Germains SLF that I'm dying to open. I've heard the same.

Harlock999":7wkr21re said:
I’ve smoked both of them, and I’d say they are definitely not the same blend.

The Special Latakia Flake has the same Viriginia/Cigar foundation as Germains Brown Flake – plus the Latakia. When you open the tin, you will also notice bright (VA) and dark (LAT) sections of flake.

The Penzance is almost entirely black and (at least to me) seems to have lots of Latakia in it. But it is an incredibly smooth blend.

Both are great blends. To me, the Special Latakia Flake is a bit more interesting with its combination of different flavors.

I have 8oz of Penzance which I've bought in May last year. It's been sitting in a glass jar since then and I've opened it today. I like it a lot but it's very, very mild. Won't buy it again.

On the other hand, Stonehaven is a one of a kind tobacco for me. I've only got about 5oz left and I use it very sparingly. Don't know when I will be able to get hold of some more. But, if the opportunity arrives, I will buy as much as I can lay my hands on.

I've been smoking VA's and VaPers for the last couple of months and I've almost lost my craving for latakia. I find Dunbar and Dorchester quite good and it's readily available. I also smoke a lot of Red Cake 5100, OGS and Escudo. But it's the Stonehaven I'm craving for!!!

PipeCulture":cgm0sqhc said:
Harlock999":cgm0sqhc said:
Finally got a tin of Germains SLF that I'm dying to open. I've heard the same.
I agree that SLF is not close to Penzance. As I mentioned above, Krumble Kake made by Germain's for Smoker's Haven has been mentioned a lot as basically being Penzance in another package. The gentleman who owns my favorite local B&M agrees, and he knows Germain's products really well. Once again there's a problem and that's finding a tin of Krumble Kake. ;)

http://www.smokershaven.com/browseproducts/Smokers'-Haven-Pipe-Tobacco-Krumble-Kake-2oz-Tin.HTML

To compare Special Lat Flake to Penzance is (to me) apples to oranges. Special Lat Flake is also very good, I would prefer it to Penzance because it is less of a Latakia bomb and has more of a "anytime" quality to it. SLF also crumbles/falls apart easy like Penzance, which can be good for loading your pipe. When I'm in the mood for a smooth Lat bomb (which is rare), I grab some Penzance. Krumble Kake I've never had, but its on my list. I have a bunch of Penzance aging hoping to find nirvana but at this point, I say three stars.

To those that don't already know, tobaccoreviews.com has wonderful reviews of all kinds of pipe tobacco, including the three just mentioned. Written by average joes like us. Its where I get interested in more obscure blends.

http://www.tobaccoreview.com