Penzance

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonanzadriver

Reaction score
As the title implies, this thread is about Penzance. 18+ year old Penzance to be exact.

You all may remember that back in April my son Nick and I went to the TAPS pipe show in Raleigh. While there one of the things I picked up was a pristine tin of Penzance. The older gentleman selling it knew only that it was over 10 years old and had been kept in a mason jar all of this time. (he bought it from an older gentleman that had since stopped smoking a pipe)

With the help of folks here and on other forums it was determined that the tin was a 1999 or older 2oz tin of Penzance.

Once I learned this I decided to save this lucky find for a special occasion.

Well, that special occasion was this weekend. Our baby girl, Jenni, just graduated from High School. Although she didn't have any of this incredible tobacco delight, she did sit in the mancave for a while with her brother and I when we both enjoyed our very first bowl.

I gotta tell you guys, this experience was all I had hoped it would be and more! HOLY COW is this GREAT STUFF!!!!

Having never ever smoked Penzance before, I didn't have anything to base our experience off of, as it relates to whether or not this was typical of all tins of Penzance or if somehow, the fact that it was 18 or 20 years old?

I'm obviously not a tobacco reviewer, but I can tell you that the flavor of this was much richer and fuller than the Margate I've been smoking for the last several months.

Don't get me wrong, I love Margate, but after experiencing Penzance this evening, Margate is a distant second. [:)]

What pipe, you may be asking yourself, did you give the honor of facilitating this nirvana moment?

Why, the beautiful Yacht sitting in my pipe rack of course...

image_zpsrm42m2sw.jpeg

Rub it in, I haven't had any in a while. Too much of a p.i.t.a. to acquire. Just curious--is the latakia still fairly evident after all those years?

Sounds like a great score, and a great time smoking! It was apparently well stored too. Congratulations! :cheers:

Richard Burley":irzc12yi said:
Rub it in, I haven't had any in a while. Too much of a p.i.t.a. to acquire. Just curious--is the latakia still fairly evident after all those years?
Interesting that you ask that.

My son and I had both read, that after too many years in the cellar, latakia can lose it's character. So, one of the things we'd discussed, over the many nights leading up to this celebratory smoke, was whether or not the latakia would be significantly diminished.

Gotta tell ya though, we were both half way through our bowls before we remembered discussing this. The experience was so awesome that we both failed to initially recognize that the latakia hit, that we'd come accustomed to in MM 965 or Frog Morton, was not near that bold.

After realizing this we both, in our un-trained way, tried to analyze each puff and determine what we were tasting. The latakia was present but it wasn't the star attraction. But, in all fairness being as neither one of us knows what 20 y.o. PZ should taste like, so it might be right where it should.

So, until our next significant life event, or until I find another tin or bag or truckload of Penzance, 8) Nick & I will savor yesterdays gift.

Congrats on Jenni's grad! You must be one proud dad!

Yup Penzance. Seems to me this stuff has near mythical status. A great smoke, highly sought after. Add the all important ingredient, scarcity, and you've got something extra special. Enjoy dude!

Stick":a2ayebzc said:
Congrats on Jenni's grad!  You must be one proud dad!

Yup Penzance. Seems to me this stuff has near mythical status. A great smoke, highly sought after. Add the all important ingredient, scarcity, and you've got something extra special. Enjoy dude!

Thanks Stick.

I am indeed one proud Pappa, as she likes to call me. :)

Beautiful young lady that thankfully takes after her mom in the looks department and her Pops in the brains category (just hope my blonde doesn't find her way on to this forum. ;) )

As for the Penzance... I pulled the trigger and have a nice supply of it headin my way, as well as some more Margate and received a nice haul of Dorchester in the mail today.

I think I'm becoming an Esoterica Junkie.

Bonanzadriver":c7caxrp4 said:
As for the Penzance...  I pulled the trigger and have a nice supply of it headin my way,  
Where did you get hold of "a nice supply" of Penzance, please?

Speedy,

Like many here, I'm a member of 4 or 5 other pipe forums. Throughout the day I'll check in on each of them and see what folks are selling/trading in the Pipe and Tobacco and Accessories sections.

The Margate came from one site, the Dorchester & Penzance from another, all from different sellers.

I also have a tub of Carter Hall and a couple of tins of Frog Morton coming from yet another seller.

I have also occasionally scored a good deal or two on ebay.

If you can't get Penzance, try Capt. Earle's Mystic Blend or Ten Russian's.

word of caution for first timer's about 10 Russians , load a Small Bowl & go slow.

Congratulations on the graduation and Penzance celebration. :cheers: